• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment in Kent between Ashford and Canterbury (26/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Hearing there has been a derailment between Wye and Chilham, front carriage is derailed and at an angle.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/train-derailed-after-hitting-cattle-40716/

A train has derailed after hitting cattle between Chilham and Wye.

Southeastern has said the livestock strayed onto the line near Chilham station. The train was travelling between Ashford and Canterbury West.

Pictures posted on Twitter show one carriage of the train leaning sharply to the left. No passengers are thought to have been hurt in the incident

Southeastern said staff on board were advising passengers. Kent Fire and Rescue Service is also at the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SPADTrap

Established Member
Train struck cows. No reported injuries to staff or passengers, looks like an ordeal for all involved.

Dieseldriver

'No passengers are thought to have been hurt in the incident'. Typical, no concern for the welfare of the driver sat right at the front in the crumple zone or any other crew members. From a fellow railwayman, I also hope they are OK!

Established Member
Dieseldriver:2245643 said:
'No passengers are thought to have been hurt in the incident'. Typical, no concern for the welfare of the driver sat right at the front in the crumple zone or any other crew members. From a fellow railwayman, I also hope they are OK!
Agreed. I wasn't too impressed with someone on Twitter who asked SouthEastern if Network Rail would be compensating them it was bigger than a pheasant!!

bnm

Established Member

Give the press a chance, it's a breaking news story. :roll:

tsr

Established Member
The train has been fully evacuated now. The line may be closed into tomorrow morning. Two cows were struck. Emergency services have been in attendance as required.

I hope all crew and passengers recover mentally from this incident, but it is excellent news to hear there were no physical injuries. It gives me a lot of faith in the Electrostar design, too. That said, I'm sure it's quite possible that if this had been a busy peak-time service, I suppose the natural sheer rise in numbers in the derailed carriage could have led to a higher chance that somebody was injured.

It also sounds like the crew were in control of the situation throughout - well done to them.

Last edited:

Medicy

Coming in on a later service, very glad everyone's ok. The following Highspeed services took an unusual route, coming past Ashford to Dover Priory and then what may have been the first scheduled Javelin stops at Canterbury East, then a reversal at Faversham to Margate.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Given the fatalities caused by one animal at Polmont this was a very lucky escape for crew and passengers. I wonder if this will turn out be due to illegal fly grazing activity as were the two recent incidents involving horses?

bnm

Established Member
Someone illegally fly-grazing cows? That's highly unlikely.

Last edited:

FlippyFF

Slightly disappointed that I didn't receive an alert from NRE saying my 05:43 Ashford to St Pancras was cancelled, although RTT shows it as leaving Ramsgate 1 minute late.

Antman

Established Member
Animals on the line do seem to be a regular problem between Ashford and Canterbury West

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Slightly disappointed that I didn't receive an alert from NRE saying my 05:43 Ashford to St Pancras was cancelled, although RTT shows it as leaving Ramsgate 1 minute late.

There was a derailment that could've killed or injured people and you're whinging about a lack of an alert from NRE? :roll:

I'm glad that nobody was hurt - hope the train crew are ok too.

Antman

Established Member
There was a derailment that could've killed or injured people and you're whinging about a lack of an alert from NRE? :roll:

I'm glad that nobody was hurt - hope the train crew are ok too.

He said he was "slightly disappointed"..........hardly whinging:roll:

Antman

Established Member
SET twitter feed says they have 12 buses on the RRS between Ashford and Canterbury West.

Just as well that the latest bout of operation stack finished yesterday!

LAX54

Established Member

Thats because it wasn't....sort of ! Stopped at Ebbsfleet Int, but not Ashford Intl

SPADTrap

Established Member
Just seen this.

Don't think I'd be laughing having stepped out the cab of that!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1437991267181.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437991267181.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

misterredmist

Glad all got off the train unharmed, great result, as for any subsequent delays,
unlucky, of no real concern in the wider scheme of things.......

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Its not the fly grazing of cattle its the illegal breaking open of gates/fencing by one particular community to graze their horses. It lead in Nov last year to 12 horses being hit and killed at nearly 90 mph near Ely and another 5 in Lincolnshire earlier this year. Needless to say the 'owners' of these horses were never traced despite the legal requirement of microchip i.d of all horses in the UK. Both incidents were very lucky escapes for crew and passengers especially the high speed Ely one. Its well overdue the police, animal charities and the rail industry took this illegal practice more seriously before someone is killed.

Deepgreen

Established Member
A horrible mess - reminiscent of the Polmont crash. I think that happened at around 90mph with a driving trailer at the front; if this had been a similar speed things could have been so much worse.

talldave

Established Member
Thats because it wasn't....sort of ! Stopped at Ebbsfleet Int, but not Ashford Intl

My issue is that my HS1 train was running but they decided to skip Gravesend (to make up time?). But at least the slow service was moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.