• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment on the Great Central Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Established Member
I found this video on youtube this morning, does anyone know much more about it? It appears the driver has had permission to pass the signal at danger (hence the long whistle) but the signaller had forgotten to set the trap points correctly. I can't say by watching the video if the train crew checked the road was set either, but I imagine going tender first would obscure your view somewhat!

Is anyone aware if there was much damage done to the loco?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Saw a friend posted that video on facebook.

Unfortunate accident, but the catch points did there job though.

Chris

Quite, if anything it is a perfect demonstration of how they work and what they are there for.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's a great irony that this happend to this particular Mickey. I was told while on a cleaning turn at the SVR on Saturday that the owner had removed it from the SVR becuase it "wasn't being looked after properly". Ahem.....

Monty

Established Member
To be pedantic, these are trap points not catch points.

Quite right, my mistake. :oops: Catch points are used to derail vehicles rolling backwards down a gradient. But the their purpose are very similiar (ie to derail an unauthorised movement).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Exactly. Although on the SVR location of them on Platform 2, would divert which ever bit of stock or Locomotive into the boilershop though.

Chris

Another great example of the logic employed on the SVR!
Keiran

Monty

Established Member
Another great example of the logic employed on the SVR!
Keiran

The national network is not immune to such logic deficiencies either, here is an image on Wikipedia of a set of catch TRAP points at Castle Cary, if these were to be used they would most certainly demolish the nearby footbridge. I have no doubt the points were probably built there first, but it does beg the question why did they still choose put the footbridge there anyway? :lol:

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
amazing how what is effectively a slow speed derailment can be so violent!

TDK

Established Member
I found this video on youtube this morning, does anyone know much more about it? It appears the driver has had permission to pass the signal at danger (hence the long whistle) but the signaller had forgotten to set the trap points correctly. I can't say by watching the video if the train crew checked the road was set either, but I imagine going tender first would obscure your view somewhat!

Is anyone aware if there was much damage done to the loco?

[youtube]Yr5EztEPJS8[/youtube]

It would be interesting to know what happened without the 2nd guessing! By looking at the vidoe there could be many scenarios here

Tomnick

Established Member
It would be interesting to know what happened without the 2nd guessing! By looking at the vidoe there could be many scenarios here
Ha, indeed, I'll second that one wholeheartedly. Seems that Youtube's where most of the armchair experts hang around nowadays...

chris89

Established Member
The national network is not immune to such logic deficiencies either, here is an image on Wikipedia of a set of catch TRAP points at Castle Cary, if these were to be used they would most certainly demolish the nearby footbridge. I have no doubt the points were probably built there first, but it does beg the question why did they still choose put the footbridge there anyway? :lol:

Most likely were drinking Cider and listerning to the Wurzels :P

Although when i lived in the area, i rarely saw anyone using that footpath though, but the bridge did give some good views though.

Chris

Boothby97

Established Member
I was down on the GCR on Saturday and my starting point for the day was Quorn, and I turned up at the station to see 46521 had derailed. The damage didn't look bad. Saddle Tank "Alfred" moved a Brake Van from Swithland Sidings to Loughborough, and then D123 (a Class 45) moved the brake van and a steam crane to Quorn. The recovery was reported to be complete by 0130 Sunday morning. As of Sunday afternoon the mail coaches were still there, as the track was damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam

341o2

Established Member
How was this movement authorised as I can see nothing from the signal box & was watching the signal. Surely correct procedure would have been to set the road for the train, then lower the signal to permit the train to proceed

MCW

How was this movement authorised as I can see nothing from the signal box & was watching the signal. Surely correct procedure would have been to set the road for the train, then lower the signal to permit the train to proceed

SASSPAD, Driver fault or signal failure. Nuff said.

let them do the investigations.

anyways, I will admit its not very often you get a practical demonstration of derailments in the preserved age, so kudos to the GCR for adding to the realism lol

Monty

Established Member
SASSPAD, Driver fault or signal failure. Nuff said.

The blasts of the whistle seem to indicate passing the signal at danger was intentional, and thus the driver sought permission before proceeding.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
The blasts of the while seem to indicate passing the signal at danger was intentional, and thus the driver sought permission before proceeding.

The blasts of the whistle could have been someone making an up and down hand gesture as so many do :roll:. As previously mentioned this could have happened for many reasons.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Authorisation to pass a signal at danger needs to come from the controlling signaller with whatever communication is permitted. In this case it would be most practical to have the authorisation face to face, verbally in other words. Watch the videao closley and the signaller didn't budge from the box, if this was an unauthorised move and I was the signaller I would have been out of the box like a ferret with a red flag.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Authorisation to pass a signal at danger needs to come from the controlling signaller with whatever communication is permitted. In this case it would be most practical to have the authorisation face to face, verbally in other words. Watch the videao closley and the signaller didn't budge from the box, if this was an unauthorised move and I was the signaller I would have been out of the box like a ferret with a red flag.

Those were my exact feelings while watching the video.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
The grapevine is saying that they were authorised to pass the signal at danger, yet obviously, the signalman hadn't set the route correctly. They crew clearly didn't check it for themselves. One thing you can see from the video, is that the fireman is faffing about, and not keeping a look out, as I would have expected him to be in that situation. Not his fault, but if he had been looking, incident prevented. As to what had gone on between the driver & signalman, and to their actions, that cannot be ascertained from the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.