• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby - Matlock - Buxton - Manchester stopper xmas 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Fox

Would the stopping train on Boxing day 1966 have been DMU?

Reason for asking is in my latest novel (Research 'Merlin Smallbone' if you're interested. Nothing railwayish except a short story featuring class 66 and class 60. If you want it posted on-line then ask.) happens to have the hero at Matlock railway station on Boxing day 1966. Just now the "15:02 Manchester" is about to arrive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
From what I can gather it might have been a 104 at that point.

daodao

Established Member
My recollection is that the some of the stopping trains between Chinley and Derby were steam-hauled until the service was withdrawn in January 1967. The last steam train that I travelled on BR was on a stopping train from Chinley to Derby (I alighted at Millers Dale) on Easter Monday 1966.

Taunton

Established Member
I don't believe any trains operated, then or otherwise, as Derby-Matlock-Buxton-Manchester. The Derby-Matlock line trains all turned north at Millers Dale to Chinley and Manchester Central; from Millers Dale to Buxton was always a connection. There were a few peak hour trains which came out from Buxton and then turned north at the triangle junction towards Manchester, but these were separate operations again. The Millers Dale shuttle did use a Buxton Class 104 unit, often cut down to just the two power cars, it had been run for a short while by one of the BR experimental railbuses.

By 1966 the BR pattern for Boxing Day was very much a Sunday service, if not reduced further, and there were no stopping trains on the line on Sundays. There were expresses, which stopped at Matlock.

Just for clarity, the former Midland branch in from Millers Dale to Buxton, and the present day former LNWR line from Manchester and Stockport to Buxton, although they terminated side-by-side at Buxton and the station frontages were identical, were not directly connected, you could only ever get from one side to the other by a couple of reversals through sidings.

randyrippley

Established Member
Would the stopping train on Boxing day 1966 have been DMU?

Reason for asking is in my latest novel (Research 'Merlin Smallbone' if you're interested. Nothing railwayish except a short story featuring class 66 and class 60. If you want it posted on-line then ask.) happens to have the hero at Matlock railway station on Boxing day 1966. Just now the "15:02 Manchester" is about to arrive.

I may be misunderstanding you, but class 60 + 66 locos didn't exist in 1966...

Status
Not open for further replies.