• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Just to let you know these will be in operation from the 18th August, they are there now but the gates are open, made me laugh because loads of people came through them and one guy put his ticket in, a woman working for EMT giggled too :lol: was quite funny to see

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Just to let you know these will be in operation from the 18th August, they are there now but the gates are open, made me laugh because loads of people came through them and one guy put his ticket in, a woman working for EMT giggled too :lol: was quite funny to see

People often stick tickets in the barriers at Cambridge even when they're locked open.

People are often stupid, you see.

WillPS

Established Member
Nottingham's barriers are up at the main entrance too. I wonder how they'll gate the tram/car park entrance?

D

dylan_w

made me laugh because loads of people came through them and one guy put his ticket in, a woman working for EMT giggled too :lol: was quite funny to see

I suppose it's possible that this guy was a visitor from a European country and assumed this was some kind of validation device (as used in many Western European countries).

I'm sure if a British tourist didn't validate a ticket in France or Italy and then boarded the train the guard would be laughing...and issuing a fine of course!

johnb

I suppose it's possible that this guy was a visitor from a European country and assumed this was some kind of validation device (as used in many Western European countries).

I'm sure if a British tourist didn't validate a ticket in France or Italy and then boarded the train the guard would be laughing...and issuing a fine of course!

..also, if you're a Londoner then you're probably used to touching in and out on Oyster when the barriers are open...

mumrar

Established Member
I wonder how they'll gate the tram/car park entrance?
The answer is no time soon. The bridge over the centre of the station is a public right of way. This is exactly the same problem as the footbridge at Derby. They cannot stop anyone from using the bridge who doesn't have a ticket. They would have to build new ones at Derby and Nottingham that doesn't access any platforms as a replacement right of way.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
IIRC the foot bridge at Nottingham Station was reclassified as a public right of way when another pedestrian bridge over the eastern end of the station was demolished around 1990. That had previously been a right of way and did not have any platform access

ivanhoe

People often stick tickets in the barriers at Cambridge even when they're locked open.

People are often stupid, you see.

It's not the passengers who are stupid but the unhelpful attitude of the railways. Many passengers are often confused about these gates. Indeed if you arrive back in Loughborough after 8 pm then you are likely to see the gates locked up for the evening and you pass through an open gate. They are supposed to protect revenue . Maybe if guards on trains actually inspected tickets as they are supposed to do then these gates would not me necessary. The number of times that I have travelled on the 19.52 from Liverpool to Nottingham on a Saturday and not had my ticket checked. Of course the obvious solution is what I have experienced in Italy when you must validate your ticket before travel. Simple and Effective.

Secondly, there are large pockets of the population who will never use trains. Who can blame them when the attitude of rail staff is to take the 'mickey' when they don't conform . They pay taxes that go towards the railway but rarely see much help from Governments for the Buses they use more regularly.

Just a rant from a Rail Enthusiast who also appreciates other forms of Public Transport.

Phoenix

Established Member
Well this will make my daily commute to Derby station that little bit more interesting.
By the way 37401 how is the Refurbishment coming along as I haven't seen it for over 2 months?

WillPS

Established Member
Well this will make my daily commute to Derby station that little bit more interesting.
By the way 37401 how is the Refurbishment coming along as I haven't seen it for over 2 months?
It's a strange place at the moment, half of platforms 1-3 are closed off with NR Yellow Mark 1 coaches parked in the middle to provide a sort of temporary buffer. Thank god the whole thing is nearly done though - Derby has been an absolute bomb site for a number of years now.

Established Member

scandal

The barriers do make the whole concourse very crampt and within the gated section hard to see the big screen. I noted that they are gated on the bridge toward Pride Park too, I assumed this was a public right of way?

LTJ87

There are signs on the station concourse which state that if you are a local Derby resident and provide a valid form of ID you can apply for a pass for the ticket barriers (the application forms were on the central unit at the barriers) which surely defeats the object of the ticket barriers in the first place.

Incidentally, I noticed a couple of people getting off the CrossCountry service arriving at Platform 1 jumping over a gate on the platform to get out of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.