• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire Wayfarer and Peak/Off peak further travel in Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

My journey is a weekly day return from Bamford (at 10.40am)to Hazel Grove.
The normal route given in journey planners is to change stations at New Mills.
I use a Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket to travel from Bamford to New Mills Central.
I continue from New Mills Newtown to Hazel Grove.
I return at various times.

I am asked at Newtown (or by the conductor) if I want a Peak or Offpeak return to Hazel Grove.
I have show my Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket to indicate that I am travelling in and out of the PTE area so a Off peak ticket would be OK.

I am always sold the Off Peak tickets have been regularly checked on the return journey and everything has been OK.
Until recently- on the same day a Revenue Man and Conductor at Hazel Grove told me I needed a Peak ticket to return from Hazel Grove to Newtown and that it didn't matter that my journey would be completed outside the TfM area.

Have things changed, or have I just been lucky?

I

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are asking about the validity of a New Mills Newtown to Hazel Grove Off Peak Day Return (CDR), is that right?

The restriction is:
Not valid to depart any location 0230–0859 on any TOC
Not valid to depart any location 1601–1829 on any TOC

If you presented a CDR at an invalid time, you can be charged an excess of £2.10 (assuming no Railcard is held), but in practice many Guards don't charge excess fares for such journeys in the evenig peak, but I would expect a revenue inspector to charge the excess.

Llandudno

Established Member
Wouldn’t you be better off buying a TfGM Wayfarer for £14. There are no evening peak restrictions on these tickets.

As far as I know, you still can’t buy them from the ticket machines at the station, However guards on the Hope Valley trains will willingly sell them!

unlevel42

Thanks for you replies.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer costs £6.70 for over 60s (no railcard needed, but I do have one) and provides me with return involving beer at New Mills or Sheffield or sometimes Derby via Buxton and Matlock. I can't get a TfM Wayfarer at £9.00 for a few more years. Can I use a ticket from Grindleford to Sheffield to cover the gap on a Stockport Sheffield non-stop?

I am making a "journey" through TfL territory and there are many cases where the rules that apply to individual sections are overridden by the fact they are only part of the "journey". When Northern were forced to introduce evening peaks they did not i apply outside individual PTEs of Yorkshire.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can I use a ticket from Grindleford to Sheffield to cover the gap on a Stockport Sheffield non-stop?
Yes, the Conditions of Travel do allow for that.
I am making a "journey" through TfL territory and there are many cases where the rules that apply to individual sections are overridden by the fact they are only part of the "journey". When Northern were forced to introduce evening peaks they did not i apply outside individual PTEs of Yorkshire.
When Northern refer to "journeys" in this context, they actually refer to tickets; you can see the restrictions that apply for any ticket on www.brfares.com

I agree that the publicity is confusing, but it's to be expected of Northern ;)

unlevel42

Yes, the Conditions of Travel do allow for that.

When Northern refer to "journeys" in this context, they actually refer to tickets; you can see the restrictions that apply for any ticket on www.brfares.com

I agree that the publicity is confusing, but it's to be expected of Northern ;)

Thanks, but I am still confused as in South Yorkshire a journey from Doncaster to Derby composed of a Off Peak Doncaster to Sheffield and a Derbyshire Wayfarer is valid at Peak times.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Doncaster to Sheffield CDR barred times are below:
Not valid to depart any location 0230–0929 on any TOC
Not valid to depart any location 1601–1829 on any TOC
If you use this ticket at a barred time, you can be charged the difference between the price paid and the price of the appropriate Anytime Day Return.

In practice, many of the staff may not actually issue excess fares for the use of this ticket at the barred times in the evening, but they are entitled to do so.

The use of a Derbyshire Wayfarer is barred before 0900.

Status
Not open for further replies.