Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets available on train??

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by oddiesjack, 16 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddiesjack

oddiesjack Member

On a recent-ish visit to Buxton, I popped into the station to get 2 or 3 Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets for future use. (For someone over 60, they are the cheapest method of travelling Chinley-Sheffield and back) .

I was surprised to hear the booking clerk tell me that I can now buy them on the train, so have no need to buy in advance. A couple of days later, I was travelling to Manchester, and asked the guard if this was now the case, and if he'd be able to sell me one were I travelling to Sheffield. He said he had never sold one, but would check if he could. He was unable to find the ticket in his machine. So, does anyone know the situation here?

I have subsequently stocked up on the Derbyshire Wayfarer scratch-off tickets by popping to the Tourist Information Office, just to be sure!

2. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

It's in their machine under the Rovers and Rangers menu as DERBY WAYFARER DAYRANGER. Giving the guard the code G400 might help.

3. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

I believe you can buy one on train if you only intend to use it on trains, but you may have trouble convincing bus drivers to accept what looks like an ordinary rail ticket if it's not in the usual branded wallet.

4. trickyvegas

trickyvegas Member

I've been sold one on a Hope Valley stopper before, and it was accepted on High Peak and Stagecoach buses.

5. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

I'd not have expected otherwise on High Peak, as they'll also be used to Manchester Wayfarers being shown on rail ticket stock. Nice to know that there were no problems on Stagecoach :)

6. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

Fair enough, my experience was a couple of years back on Arriva buses in Derby.

7. 185143

185143 Established Member

I too have been sold one on a hope valley stopper.

8. brompton rail

brompton rail Member

Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets purchased at station booking offices (e.g. Sheffield, Derby) are on normal ticket stock. Similarly Wayfarers purchased on buses are on normal bus ticket stock.

To diverge slightly South Yorkshire PTE One Day Travelmaster tickets are available from bus drivers. In my case First bus, and I've never had problems on Cross Country, TPE OR Northern, nor on Stagecoach Supertram. Which is just as well because soon scratch off one will be difficult to obtain when SY PTE close most of their Travel Centres later this summer. (Government spending cuts).

9. itsjustmyjob

itsjustmyjob Member

If only West Yorkshire Metro had adopted this very sensible idea. Since Metro Day Rovers stopped being sold at Post Offices, you can only buy bus and train Day Rovers from bus stations. Only Bus Day Rovers can be bought on the bus. Getting them from the bus station is a real nuisance, especially if the bus station isn't convenient!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.