• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire Wayfarer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I know the Derbyshire Wayfarer is a scratch off ticket which can be purchased from certain stations and Derbyshire County Council.

Is it possible to purchase it from stations outside the area (presumably issued on normal orange stock). I'm not worried about bus travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oddiesjack

You can also buy them on the train if you board at an unstaffed station. The TVMs do not provide Wayfarers, but you should get a "promise to pay" ticket from the TVM.

AY1975

Established Member
You can also buy them on the train if you board at an unstaffed station. The TVMs do not provide Wayfarers, but you should get a "promise to pay" ticket from the TVM.

Are you sure? The Wayfarer page on the Derbyshire County Council website at https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trans...the-derbyshire-wayfarer-day-rover-ticket.aspx says you can't buy them on the train or at unstaffed stations.

"Promise to pay" tickets are also only available from Northern TVMs, not from East Midlands Trains TVMs (and if you have one you must pay in cash on the train).

oddiesjack

Yes, I am quite sure, as I regularly use a wayfarer from Chinley station, as the senior version is cheaper than a sheffield return with senior railcard.

AY1975

Established Member
Yes, I am quite sure, as I regularly use a wayfarer from Chinley station, as the senior version is cheaper than a sheffield return with senior railcard.

I'm guessing that this may only apply on Northern trains at Northern unstaffed stations, though, not at EMT unstaffed stations (or on EMT or TransPennine Express trains that call at Northern unstaffed stations, as I think there is the odd Liverpool-Nottingham/Norwich and Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes train that calls at Chinley, Edale or Dore).

Also, I don't know whether Northern conductors will issue a Wayfarer if you get on at an unstaffed station without having obtained a "promise to pay" because you want to pay for it by card.

Belperpete

Established Member
The senior (over 60) version is very good value. If doing a day return from say Derby to Sheffield or stations beyond, it is cheaper to use a senior Wayfarer for the Derby-Sheffield leg. You don't need an over-60s railcard to buy one, although you may need some other means of proving your age. They can be used all day on buses, even before 9 am. They can only be used on trains after 9 am on weekdays, but in some cases this may mean that you can use a Wayfarer before off-peak fares are available.

Earlier this year, I was unable to purchase one before boarding the train at my unstaffed EMT station. When I explained the situation to the EMT guard, I was expecting him to tell me to buy one when I changed trains at Derby, but instead he sold me one on his ticket machine, on standard orange card. I think the wording on the Wayfarer website may have been overtaken by the modern on-train ticket-issuing systems that can issue them.

In the past, when I have bought Wayfarers from Derby station, they have been printed on orange card which is then sealed in a Wayfarer wrapper. Again, the Wayfarer web-site says that you can only buy tickets on the day of travel, but I had no problem buying one for a future date. The versions sold at ticket offices have no scratch-off date - the date is printed on the orange card ticket, so be careful to tell the clerk if you want it for a future date. The guard didn't have a Wayfarer wrapper to put the ticket in, but it was accepted without any problem on subsequent bus journeys.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The issue with tickets like Wayfarers (and West Yorkshire DayRovers etc) which include bus travel, is that if you get them on normal orange rail ticket stock, some bus drivers may not accept them.

I believe that's why you may be given instructions to purchase them at particular locations and not on board.

If you are just using trains this isn't an issue, of course.

Sniffingmoose

You can get a Derbyshire Wayfarer from Burton on Trent Station (Staffordshire) which is staffed until 7:30 pm. They seal it in a blue Wayfarer wrapper. Its not available from the machine. As a previous poster has said, you may have difficulty on the buses if the ticket does not have a blue wrapper.

Tip - when you have finished with it, fill in the details on the back and post the ticket free of charge to Derbyshire county council. It gets put in a prize draw for a free Wayfarer. I won one once.

Status
Not open for further replies.