• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derelict buildings at old Wolverton rail coach works

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Ownership of the coach maintenance facility at Wolverton has changed over the years, and I think some buildings to the east of what is now Tesco's car park, have been listed, smartened up and now have new users. What remains an eyesore is the roofline of the old buildings seen from Tesco's car park. Not only is grass etc. growing at roof level, but the roof timbers look to be in danger of collapse. I guess these buildings no longer have a current use, but perhaps they too have been listed, and are waiting for new well heeled ownership?

A quick search found nothing newer than a 2004 local authority report on the area. Anyone know any better?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
I thought that they will be removed to make way for a supermarket. However, as there is already a Tesco car park, that implies the supermarket is already there so the eyesore buildings must be some others.

Deltic1

St. Modwins own the land the works sits on, the buildings to the East are intustrial units and flats, the ones in the middle of the site are abandoned and the buildings to the west are still in use as Wolverton Works.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ownership of the coach maintenance facility at Wolverton has changed over the years, and I think some buildings to the east of what is now Tesco's car park, have been listed, smartened up and now have new users. What remains an eyesore is the roofline of the old buildings seen from Tesco's car park. Not only is grass etc. growing at roof level, but the roof timbers look to be in danger of collapse. I guess these buildings no longer have a current use, but perhaps they too have been listed, and are waiting for new well heeled ownership?

A quick search found nothing newer than a 2004 local authority report on the area. Anyone know any better?

I thought that they will be removed to make way for a supermarket. However, as there is already a Tesco car park, that implies the supermarket is already there so the eyesore buildings must be some others.

St. Modwins own the land the works sits on, the buildings to the East are intustrial units and flats, the ones in the middle of the site are abandoned and the buildings to the west are still in use as Wolverton Works.

Are they not the buildings subject of a planning application/proposed application to clear that part of the site for housing? Most recent information i can find is here:

MK Citizen:

Historic Wolverton Works to be saved from demolition in Milton Keynes, say rail experts​

eMeS

Thanks for the linked news item.
The photos shown seem on an earlier planet to those coming out of wherever Hitachi? (at Aycliffe?) do the final wash & brush up on the trains they are now supplying.

Deltic1

The land owner has planning permission for houses to be built, however I believe it expires this month, they'll need to re-apply if they want to build houses in the future.

The 'Rail Expert' Phil Webb quoted in the Milton Keynes Citizen is a well known campaigner who does not have his facts straight, so take whatever quotes you see from him with a pinch of Salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.