• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derelict driving parcels trailers @ Hellifield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Thete is a siding at hellifield of a load of emu driving vehicles that were converted to driving parcels vans painted in royal mail red.
Who to they belong to and why are they there?
Well vandalised and graffiti covered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Funny you should post this. I was up there a couple of days ago and wondered if WCRC were ever actually going to do anything with them. They really are tatty and even have offensive graffiti on the side facing passenger trains. (I always struggle to understand the allure of the act of graffiti, but especially spraying a train at Hellifield - surely quite a lot of effort involved for what appears to be very little publicity for the vandal, especially as some of it isn’t even apparently a “tag”.)

I’m no expert on the limitations of the infrastructure at that location, but perhaps these could be moved into the adjacent sheds?

Ken H

On Moderation
Funny you should post this. I was up there a couple of days ago and wondered if WCRC were ever actually going to do anything with them. They really are tatty and even have offensive graffiti on the side facing passenger trains. (I always struggle to understand the allure of the act of graffiti, but especially spraying a train at Hellifield - surely quite a lot of effort involved for what appears to be very little publicity for the vandal, especially as some of it isn’t even apparently a “tag”.)

I’m no expert on the limitations of the infrastructure at that location, but perhaps these could be moved into the adjacent sheds?
If you go out of Hellifield towards Long Preston, past the layby with the snack van there is a turning to the right that is a nice new road that goes nowhere. You can get quite close to the NW end of the rake. Big security fence though.

Then you go to the Hazy Days caff in Hellifield for a fry up or tea and cake. Or the one on the train station.

BigB

West Coast Railways of Carnforth. Spares
These are useful spares for wheelsets and bogies, which is why WCRC have them.
Bo'ness also bought a small fleet of them for bogies and wheelsets to keep the railtour stock running as good wheelsets for Mk1 coaches become harder to find. The carriage bodies were scrapped (various videos on Youtube including one with the scrap company carelessly damaging a B4 bogie whilst cutting the body off)

BigB

Ken H

On Moderation
These are useful spares for wheelsets and bogies, which is why WCRC have them.
Bo'ness also bought a small fleet of them for bogies and wheelsets to keep the railtour stock running as good wheelsets for Mk1 coaches become harder to find. The carriage bodies were scrapped (various videos on Youtube including one with the scrap company carelessly damaging a B4 bogie whilst cutting the body off)

BigB
shirley the wheel bearings will be no good now having been static for so long?
When the 317's were grounded for the DOO dispute when BedPan went live, maintenance staff made sure they moved a little by easing them along with crowbars.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
shirley the wheel bearings will be no good now having been static for so long?
When the 317's were grounded for the DOO dispute when BedPan went live, maintenance staff made sure they moved a little by easing them along with crowbars.

Bearings can go back to the maker ( timken often) for overhauling and re machining

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think there was a plan in fairly recent years to build some kind of sheds at Hellifield for the trains?

Ken H

On Moderation
I think there was a plan in fairly recent years to build some kind of sheds at Hellifield for the trains?
there is a shed. no doors. all connected up to network rail, but there is a sleeper chained across the access track.
dont think the shed has ever seen a train.

randyrippley

Established Member
WCRC got it built for stabling steam locos for use on the Settle-Carlisle route, but for some reason never used it once complete. No idea why, but I'd suspect some kind of financial disagreement somewhere between WCRC / Railtrack / the contractors

route101

Established Member
in post #7 i wrote shirley rather than surely. Cos of airplane
A non rail forum I use everyone writes shirley rather than surely. habit....

If i seen that id thought it would be slang

alexl92

Established Member
Driving through Hellifield towards Kirby Lonsdale last week, I noticed a line of what looked like around 4 TPOs or GUVs in RES red & black on a siding. They looked pretty derelict but I only got a brief glance. Anyone know what they’re there for or who owns them?

--EDIT--
The above was posted as a new thread as I wasn't aware of this.
What spares do WCRC want with them, given that they don't use driving trailers?

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Driving through Hellifield towards Kirby Lonsdale last week, I noticed a line of what looked like around 4 TPOs or GUVs in RES red & black on a siding. They looked pretty derelict but I only got a brief glance. Anyone know what they’re there for or who owns them?

--EDIT--
The above was posted as a new thread as I wasn't aware of this.
What spares do WCRC want with them, given that they don't use driving trailers?

For wheelsets and bogies for the MK1 coaches IIRC

Neptune

Established Member
I first signed the S&C in 2000 and they were there either then or shortly afterwards. The shed was indeed built for WCRC but I understand that it was unsafe so never progressed.

Ogmore7035

Does anyone know the identity of these vehicles ? And does anyone know the identity of similar vehicles parked in sidings close to the Royal Mail depot at Willesden? Are there any other such dumps up and down the country. Many thanks. Alan.

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone know the identity of these vehicles ? And does anyone know the identity of similar vehicles parked in sidings close to the Royal Mail depot at Willesden? Are there any other such dumps up and down the country. Many thanks. Alan.

There's some more at Carnforth Steamtown in the south side of the yard - you can see them clearly from the WCML on the left hand side going north.

Chris125

Established Member
WCRC got it built for stabling steam locos for use on the Settle-Carlisle route, but for some reason never used it once complete. No idea why, but I'd suspect some kind of financial disagreement somewhere between WCRC / Railtrack / the contractors

There were issues with the shed's construction (foundations IIRC) which resulted in work being stopped, and it's never resumed.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Propelling Control Vehicles at Hellifield:
94302/303/306/323/326/333

There are also vehicles 94495/504/527/546 present.

Propelling Control Vehicles at Willesden:
94310/311/313/337/338

There are also vehicles 94153/410/427/445/450/451/492, and 95727/761 present.

Propelling Control Vehicles can also be found at Carnforth (94308/322/332), Crewe LNWR (94335/336), Millerhill (94304) and Toton (94316/317/344).

Status
Not open for further replies.