• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derelict rolling stock at Bletchley,MK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltic1

Hi all

Going past the tesco in Bletchley, Milton Keynes, I noticed some rusty rolling stock to the right of the railway bridge.

Looking on google maps I saw it was largely overgrown and had something else behind it.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of what is there, perhaps going past on a train?

Thanks in advance!

deltic1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

One of the vehicles is a Mk1 BF (Full Brake) and I'm sure the other is a bogie GUV, they've been there for several years!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
and there is an HEA hoper full of sand and tress on the other side of the line

There is a GUV there, then a flat wagon with drop sides and a burnt out shell. Not sure if there is anything behind. The GUV may have a departmental number. I will look in the morning and try and get a picture!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/5848392736/ is a picture of the hopper wagon!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Tried to get rid of them in 1996 or so - no one claimed ownership ! Amazed they are still there ......

Mainliner

There are several locations on the ECML (e.g. York and Peterborough) where there are whole lines of goods vehicles which seem to have been there for years, some with substantial shrubs growing in, around and between them. :lol: Do their owners (if indeed they are still around) know or care?

MK Tom

Established Member
I remember going past the mark 1 on the north side on class 117s back in the mid '90s. I'm pretty sure that rake has been set fire to a couple of times.

Parallels can be drawn with the parcels vans at Oxford. Although those don't provide a home to entire species of vegetation.

ole man

Whereabouts are these carriages?What line?. There is also Sussex rail drain carriages that look like they havent been used for years by the Cambridge Sidings.
Also behind the LM Sidings there are two old wagons which cannot be moved because there is no track, they look like old sidings to me, and are being used for storage.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Whereabouts are these carriages?What line?. There is also Sussex rail drain carriages that look like they havent been used for years by the Cambridge Sidings.
Also behind the LM Sidings there are two old wagons which cannot be moved because there is no track, they look like old sidings to me, and are being used for storage.

The GUV, burnt out carriage and wagon are parked up in a spur (headshunt?)off the Cambridge sidings on the down Cambridge side of the line.

The drain train, which is used, is parked up in the S&T siding on the up Cambridge side of the line. it is hauled by Frieghtliner when it is used.

Do you mean the carriage sidings? Where are the wagons? I havent seen them

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There are several locations on the ECML (e.g. York and Peterborough) where there are whole lines of goods vehicles which seem to have been there for years, some with substantial shrubs growing in, around and between them. :lol: Do their owners (if indeed they are still around) know or care?

Cost of removal greater than scrap value generally - not high on anyones list unfortunatly, - the lack of ownership of some of these wrecks was slipped through in the carving up before p/isation.

There was a 60ft car flat abandoned in Camden CS on an isolated piece of track - no one wanted to claim ownership , - it went on remodelling and the owner turned out to be Inter City , - part of the car sleeper fleet - the bogies could have been re-used . but they went to Steptoe and Son. The amount of work it took defied belief.

ole man

If you follow the driver's walking route from the station towards the CE Sidings, you come across what i think is a signing on cabin, behind that there are two old wagons

Rugd1022

The GUV, burnt out carriage and wagon are parked up in a spur (headshunt?)off the Cambridge sidings on the down Cambridge side of the line.

The drain train, which is used, is parked up in the S&T siding on the up Cambridge side of the line. it is hauled by Frieghtliner when it is used.

Do you mean the carriage sidings? Where are the wagons? I havent seen them

We often work the drain train, boy it doesn't half pen and ink! When each job is finished we have to stable it in the right spot or the sh*t can't be emptied from the tank properly.

MK Tom - those two vans at Oxford are used by FGW as stores and have recently had a high fence erected next to them on the staff car park side. Managed to get some photos a while back while on one of our Oxford jobs...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/5312186484/in/set-72157606853423254

;)

Chapeltom

Established Member
Anyone know what the derelict rolling stock is either side of the mainline at Longsight? Going from Stockport to Manchester.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
(OOPS! You dont have permission to see this photo.)

Is what i get anyway.

opps - i forgot it might be in the firends only section - i will fix it when i get home
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you follow the driver's walking route from the station towards the CE Sidings, you come across what i think is a signing on cabin, behind that there are two old wagons

Didnt spot them when i went down there last ! Will look again. What tyope of wagon are they?

Trog

Established Member

I think the wagon on the Bedford end spur off the Cambridge sidings is a Tube.

As for stabling old stock at Bletchley guess who had the old OHL train put in the middle long to get it out of the way for a week while he relayed a siding.

Yew

Established Member
Tried to get rid of them in 1996 or so - no one claimed ownership ! Amazed they are still there ......

Shotgun!

There is a fair amount of stock near worksop that I doubt will ever run again, someold coal wagons with national power on them.. and some old hoppers made from wood :)

mirodo

Noticed a couple of GatEx carriages abandoned just outside Derby - surprised to see them that far North. Any logical explanation as to why they're there?

ole man

Bletchley TMD will soon be home to 317's for warm storage, better move the DRS carriages from inside the shed first.

How often is the Sussex Rail water train used then? and which company runs it?

CSC

Anyone know what the derelict rolling stock is either side of the mainline at Longsight? Going from Stockport to Manchester.
The former motorrail GUV which is on the Wheel lathe depot(across lines from Longsight shed)is 96139 which hasn't moved for ages.The Porterbrook liveried van on the depot is 6396,again never seems to move!,thanks Chris.

Boothby97

Established Member
Noticed a couple of GatEx carriages abandoned just outside Derby - surprised to see them that far North. Any logical explanation as to why they're there?

The coaches (72614, 72615 and 72707) are according to Platform 5, Internal Users (though disused I believe). They are listed as Instruction Coaches.
Thanks, Sam

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The DRS MKIII have all gone now i think - last seen on Good Friday in the yard at Wabtec in Doncaster

Some pictures of the abandoned stock

Attachments

• P4130002.jpg
    P4130002.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 91
  • P4130003.jpg
    P4130003.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 87

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bletchley TMD will soon be home to 317's for warm storage, better move the DRS carriages from inside the shed first.

How often is the Sussex Rail water train used then? and which company runs it?

used every so often and is always hauled by Frieghtliner. I assume it will be ussed on NR contracts

yorksrob

Veteran Member

No more surprising than the Southern Region SUB motorcoach that can sometimes be seen there which is apparently used as a mess room ! (at least I assume it's from a SUB and not a Gatwick HAL).

Status
Not open for further replies.