• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derwent Valley Centenary Gala - 20th/21st July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday 19th July will see the Derwent Valley Railway reaching 100 years of existance. To celebrate this, we are holding our first gala event over the weekend of 20th & 21st July. We have confirmed three visitors to the line, all with a DVLR connection. The first being NELPG J72 69023 'Joem', along with Class 04 D2245 from the Battlefield line. We also have a replica Ford Model T railbus, a very close representation of those used on the line for passenger services in the early days of the lines history.

Along side the visitors, 03079 will be used but re-numbered as one of the class known to have been used on the line. We also hope to see the return to traffic of John Fowler 0-4-0 'Churchill' which spent most of its life as the shunter at the grain dryers in Dunnington. Other locos of the home fleet may also see use over the weekend.

A special bus link will be provided on both days between York Railway Station and Murton, allowing those with only access to public transport to be able to visit us. This will be departing hourly from 0930 from Stand J opposite York Station. A fare of £1.50 will be charged each way to cover the cost of providing the service. The operator is 'Thornes' (using their 1959 Seddon with Harrington wayfarer body).

On the Saturday there will be a re-enactment of the original opening ceremony. There will be a exhibition of model railways, all with a connection to the Derwent Valley, along with an archive display.

Access for photography is being improved, and lineside passes will be available, but this will be limited by numbers on a first come first served basis. Contact me via the website to register interest.

An intensive timetable will operate on both days, including demonstration freight trains.

Please contact us ([email protected]) for more details or visit our website... http://www.dvlr.org.uk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Looks an interesting event, I actually travelled on Joem over the line in 1978 or 1979 on a school trip - I have been unsuccessful in obtaining the exact date of the trip. Will try and pop along one day over the weekend if I've nothing else on. Does the price include admission to the Yorkshire Museum of Farming?

Looks an interesting event, I actually travelled on Joem over the line in 1978 or 1979 on a school trip - I have been unsuccessful in obtaining the exact date of the trip. Will try and pop along one day over the weekend if I've nothing else on. Does the price include admission to the Yorkshire Museum of Farming?

Addmission to the whole site including the Yorkshire Museum of Farming is included in the price. We have had to make an increase on the normal admission fees to cover the costs of bringing the locos in, as well as the rest of the costs associated with putting an event on like this.

The timetable for our Centenary Gala has now been uploaded to the website, and can be viewed here: http://www.dvlr.org.uk/DVLR CentenaryGala V1.2.pdf

The gala will see the use of the following locos in passenger service: 69023 'Joem', D2245, 03079 (numbered as D2054), Pluto, Ruston DS165 & the replica Model T railbus.

At this stage it is unlikely Churchill's gearbox repairs will be completed in time. Our Ruston DS165 will cover the diagram, however if it is possbile to get Churchill in service at the event this will be organised.

On display will be D9523, Ruston DS88, Wickham Trolley, soon to arrive 0-4-0 Peckett 'Merlin' and of course, Churchill if not in traffic.

The bus link is confirmed between York railway station and Murton, running to the timetable shown on the website from Stand J at York station.

We look forward to your support at this event.

D2245 and 69023 Joem have both arrived at the Derwent Valley for this coming weekends gala! The railbus will arrive tomorrow.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Excellent, I've decided to pop through to this event today - first time I've been there since I went for a spin with 03079 some 10-15 years ago. There was a beast of a wild boar there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.