• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Design the ideal rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

There is a huge variety of rolling stock in Britain (as we all know) with different benefits and drawbacks but which features would YOU use if you were to design a train? Here are some of my ideas:

CrossCountry Routes:
Intended to replace the Voyagers on the ultra long routes like Aberdeen to Penzance
* Aerodynamic cab ends like the Class 180
* Spacious interior like the Class 442 / Mark 3
* 4, 5 or 9 carriages depending on the route
* Ultra modern bodyshell like Class 332
* Rectangular ribbon windows like Class 170
* Single leaf plug doors at carriage ends
* Electro-diesel dual mode power
* On-board entertainment like GWR
* Buffet and restaurant car available
* Modern interior atmosphere like VT and HX
* Standard class seats like Class 168 but softer like Mark 1 and more legroom (with perfect alignment to windows)
* First class seats like GWR Mark 3 (leather recliner)
* LCD destination screen like Class 700
* Free WiFi onboard for all passengers
* Power socket at every seat

Provincial Routes:
Intended to replace all Sprinters on long routes like the Heart of Wales line and West Highland line; overall design just like Class 168 (3 and 4 carriage formations) but with following modifications:
* End corridors like Class 172 (LM)
* Increased legroom at each seat
* Larger tables at airline seats like ex-CT 170
* Mini buffet like the former Hull Trains 170
* LCD destination screen like Class 700
* Softer seat cushions like Mark 1

Commuter Services:
Similar design to Class 700 but with the following modifications:
* Standard class seats like Class 380
* First class seats like Transpennine 350
* Rectangular ribbon windows like Class 332
* Plug doors for better aesthetic like 332 but wider
* 5, 8 or 12 carriages depending on area operated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Basically a 442 but with compartments throughout, a buffet serving real ale, and a Valenta in one of the driving cars for working off the juice. Oh, and opening windows in the power doors of course!

222ben

A 6 car AC 444
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
With a tri mode capability

Ayman Ilham

A 6 car AC 444
With a tri mode capability

Basically have that with rectangular windows like the 170 or 332 (no radius at the corners) and a mini buffet, could be used on long distance semi fast along the WCML and ECML as a budget alternative to Virgin (and have them capable of 110mph like most 350s and more aerodynamic cab ends like the 380)
Basically a 442 but with compartments throughout, a buffet serving real ale, and a Valenta in one of the driving cars for working off the juice. Oh, and opening windows in the power doors of course!

A diesel 442 would be great as a regional express on long routes like the Heart of Wales line and West Highland line (move the 150/153/156 the currently use the lines elsewhere); I would call it the Class 157 Turbo Sprinter! :D

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Basically have that with rectangular windows like the 170 or 332 (no radius at the corners) and a mini buffet, could be used on long distance semi fast along the WCML and ECML as a budget alternative to Virgin (and have them capable of 110mph like most 350s and more aerodynamic cab ends like the 380)

A diesel 442 would be great as a regional express on long routes like the Heart of Wales line and West Highland line (move the 150/153/156 the currently use the lines elsewhere); I would call it the Class 157 Turbo Sprinter! :D

I hesitate to inject a dose of reality into proceedings, but how do some of these ideas work in terms of pathing, or in terms of available traction current for the DC units.

Ayman Ilham

Also I'm fairly sure Siemens have offered up something better than that already in the form of the Desiro Verve... http://www.globalrailnews.com/2015/05/13/siemens-reveals-125mph-emu-for-uk/

Looks good :D as long as it has really comfy seats, then it would be brilliant! However, would look better with perfectly rectangular ribbon-style windows like the 170 or 332 rather than rounded rectangles like other Desiros but that's just me being picky on the cosmetic side of things! :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Looks good :D as long as it has really comfy seats, then it would be brilliant! However, would look better with perfectly rectangular ribbon-style windows like the 170 or 332 rather than rounded rectangles like other Desiros but that's just me being picky on the cosmetic side of things! :lol:

i agree that ribbon glazing looks better, but costs more to replace when damaged- something that needs to be considered for routes with a more "rebellious" population...;)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Simple, two nice new double decker buses stuck together with a bogie, driving wheels on each end. Strenghened structure ofcouse too. It would fit under the wires although lower platforms are needed for the one double door on each side, it should be very cheap for the capacity it gives. Only the lack of a toilet is a problem (it'll be out of action anyway!).
Class 145 Super-Pacer is suitable for Metro and Rural routes in Northern, Wales, & Great Western franchises.
Like my idea? It'll also be suitable for any tramtrain operations.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
i agree that ribbon glazing looks better, but costs more to replace when damaged- something that needs to be considered for routes with a more "rebellious" population...;)

Ribbon glazing is also more prone to corrosion.

Mordac

Established Member
Simple, two nice new double decker buses stuck together with a bogie, driving wheels on each end. Strenghened structure ofcouse too. It would fit under the wires although lower platforms are needed for the one double door on each side, it should be very cheap for the capacity it gives. Only the lack of a toilet is a problem (it'll be out of action anyway!).
Class 145 Super-Pacer is suitable for Metro and Rural routes in Northern, Wales, & Great Western franchises.

Is there a road-rail option for train-bus operations? :lol:

Ayman Ilham

So that's why the ribbon glazing and fully rectangular windows have been dropped for the newer Turbostars and Electrostars, I was wondering why they did that!

Low floor would suit DB Regio, but we're not in Germany :lol:

Harbornite

Established Member
For long distance northern and South Wales services, I would suggest a cheap DMU without modcons like aircon or wifi. To save costs, you could dispense with the need for bogies and comfort by using a bus bodys and fitting them to the frames of freight wagons.

physics34

Established Member
So that's why the ribbon glazing and fully rectangular windows have been dropped for the newer Turbostars and Electrostars, I was wondering why they did that!

...and it takes ages to replace a broken window and for the "glue" to dry on ribbon glazing.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Can we have something that has balanced end and centre throws, and can fit through all existing platforms whilst providing fully compliant stepping distances to standard platforms?

One that has a thermally limited DC draw response and doesn't chuck s***e back into the traction system?

With nice big dual leaf doors at 1/3 and 2/3?

ta.

Ayman Ilham

With nice big dual leaf doors at 1/3 and 2/3?

Arranged like the Turbostars so there's plenty of space in the centre of the carriages (obviously with 23m carriages)
...and it takes ages to replace a broken window and for the "glue" to dry on ribbon glazing.

Oh god! Looks like it's not worth all this maintenance just to make the train look cool! :lol:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Include an updated voyager TMS system that allows the train manager/conductor/guard to actually manage the train environment and communicate with maintenance without having to ask the driver what's on the screen before he hits 5mph!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Include an updated voyager TMS system that allows the train manager/conductor/guard to actually manage the train environment and communicate with maintenance without having to ask the driver what's on the screen before he hits 5mph!

Does the TMS screen in the buffet area (or wherever it is on XC ones) not show anything useful, then?
Ideal "regional express" unit - take a Class 158, uprate to 100/110mph, 4 or 5-car, fancy nose if desired, modern aircon system and PIS, remove one window bay and seating bay and respace accordingly while retaining the as-built fully-window-aligned seating layout but with good legroom.

Near enough perfect.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

The train managers can access the TMS though things like the air con temperatures might only be settable by fitters anyway

rf_ioliver

Was thinking the same thing, except you could base it in 1932 underground stock...

oh wait...

:)

hwl

Established Member
Oh god! Looks like it's not worth all this maintenance just to make the train look cool! :lol:
It's basically 20 minutes vs the rest of the day at the depot out of service.
Even less likely with manufacturer maintained stock like 700s or 345s as the out of service time is to high!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
For long distance cross country travel just give me a train that doesn't seem designed to rattle itself to bits, have at least 8 carriages, no underfloor engines ( unless fitted with nuclear submarine standard anechoic mounts) a comfortable seat and a decent buffet.

Lets call in an HST

this ale you speak of? What will be offered? I am happy to offer consultancy services ;)

TRAX

Established Member
But what about overhead engines ? (ie. french Régiolis)

TRAX

Established Member
Not really...

B_83518_2013_08_30_12h20_Cha_lons_51.jpg

Photo: Didier Servant/Jehan-Hubert Lavie, Ferrovissime Blog.

Domh245

Established Member
Not really...

B_83518_2013_08_30_12h20_Cha_lons_51.jpg

Photo: Didier Servant/Jehan-Hubert Lavie, Ferrovissime Blog.

Try fitting it on a British railway! The floor is low for a start, so it won't be able to be boarded at normal platforms (it may even take the platforms out!) which I would guess is due to the overhead engines.

TRAX

Established Member
It's the opposite. The engines have been put on the roof to enable a full low floor to be provided.

Also I'm not saying we should put Régiolis trains on the British network. But even with the British gauge I think it may be possible to have trains with the engines on the roof.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
The ideal regional express diesel has already been mentioned in the super 158 (although upgrading existing 158s to SWT standard would work for the most part).

As far as a long distance train. A pendo with larger windows, more legroom, toilets that don't smell, and better lighting would work very well. LHCS would be preferable, however this pendo solution would be acceptable and more palletable for TOCs.

Commuter routes. The 450 and 350 work very well. SWT and Siemens pretty much nailed it.

colchesterken

A class 309 interior built into a mk 3 bodyshell
With either panto or modern underfloor engine....or better still both

Status
Not open for further replies.