• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Desiro clock problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

Seems that the fault is on more than just the desiros. I've noticed alot of 455s with the same fault too. This message has appeared on the journeycheck page now too. http://m.journeycheck.com/southwesttrains/incidentDetail?fHome=true&incidentCount=18&from=&to=&savedRoute=&incidentsType=OTHER_INCIDENT&id=1296977558&webMsg=false&engWorksPeriod=&serviceTime=

Passenger Information System - Clock Fault

We have recently identified a fault with our on-board information systems that means our trains are not displaying the correct time on their interior information displays.
-
The clocks on all of our trains are linked to the GPS system used to identify when they are arriving at a station. A fault has recently developed which means that the GPS receivers on board are unable to process the data received to calculate the current time and date.
-
Our engineers are working on a software update for our trains to resolve the problem, and we are hoping to implement this within the coming weeks.
-
We are sorry for any inconvenience this fault causes to your journey today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed a 455 today displayed 6.10 as the time, which it would be for 60 seconds a day but wasn't at around 8.30.

Established Member
Both of the GN 317s I travelled on on Tuesday had the time stuck at 00:00. Although it's well known that the displays on those aren't exactly reliable anyway!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The LM 350's all seem to be having the same problems. I have been on a 350/1/2 &3 this week

LM 350s (and AGA 360s) were also mentioned in the first couple of pages of the thread, it was fairly quickly established as affecting a number of Desiro UK fleets.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
LM 350s (and AGA 360s) were also mentioned in the first couple of pages of the thread, it was fairly quickly established as affecting a number of Desiro UK fleets.

I assumed it was fixed so thought I would add my personal observations that it wasn't. My apologies for wasting the time of the forum.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if the Daily Mail should do a scare story that due to an issue with the GPS, it means we are in danger of trains now going to the wrong places and turning off level crossings onto busy roads...?

I mean GPS is for tracking, no? Thus, any mention of GPS must mean a major risk to all life!

hassaanhc

Established Member
I know SWT 455s have the issue, but do 456s have it too? My 456005 earlier was showing the correct time, but I don't know what the two. 455s attached to it (5903 and 5868) were showing.

DerekC

Established Member
I wonder if the Daily Mail should do a scare story that due to an issue with the GPS, it means we are in danger of trains now going to the wrong places and turning off level crossings onto busy roads...?

I mean GPS is for tracking, no? Thus, any mention of GPS must mean a major risk to all life!

It's much simpler than that - it's a plot by Government (or possibly the European Commission) so that we won't notice when trains are late!

jon0844

Veteran Member
At Pitsea station, one c2c train came through with 00:00 Fenchurch St (It was 16:16), another showing the wrong departure time (16:12 instead of 16:13).

I know this isn't the clock, but weird anyway.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
The time on the front of C2C trains isn't the planned departure time, it's just a clock.
It is? What's the purpose then? I'd have thought it was to help you be sure it was the right train.

In that case it was wrong on the one that was one minute early (seemingly) as the train was late!

iantherev

SWT 159s have had issues with displaying the time for 2/3 weeks now - most set to 00.00 but the two I was on on Monday had more random times.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not sure it has one. "Because we can"?
I thought for a moment that this was a 'killer app' where you could be absolutely sure you were getting the right train by having the departure time shown in it.

Instead it's a clock that was wrong by a few minutes on one and showing midnight on another.

So I take it back, it must be the same software issue as the Siemens' trains.

causton

Established Member
VT do show departure times on Pendolinos and I think Voyagers on the side displays. If it's set up right, which it often isn't.

I swear most of the displays are at least partly broken, with the customisable row of text at the bottom scrolling random letters if they are not in place of one of the other pieces of info on the display - "oh look the next stop is ▨▙▞▟▗▓░▒▒!"

mbreckers

VT do show departure times on Pendolinos and I think Voyagers on the side displays. If it's set up right, which it often isn't.

XC Voyagers (being previously Virgin Voyagers also have this sort of display on the outside of their trains, and they seem to keep them updated and actually working.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Showing the departure time on a side screen makes good sense and perhaps, assuming the time is right, it would be good to show the current time or even better, the minutes to departure.

Could be very reassuring to people, who always seem to think a train might go ten minutes early or something, or think they've got more time than they have, but it would need to be right all the time!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I swear most of the displays are at least partly broken, with the customisable row of text at the bottom scrolling random letters if they are not in place of one of the other pieces of info on the display - "oh look the next stop is ▨▙▞▟▗▓░▒▒!"
I heard that's a good station to split tickets at.

Last edited:

BurtonM

I can't remember where it is but somewhere on TPE recently I saw a notice saying the problem was affecting Siemens-manufactured CIS systems.
Stalybridge station's CIS has been having quite a few off days lately too - that's also a Siemens system.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TPE's station CIS have been playing up for some time. Barely a month has gone by over the last year without the CIS being down for at least a day. The on board issue is however a recent thing, but with the franchise currently up in arms theres no real incentive to spend any money right now on anything but the essentials so I suspect they will be on the blink for a while yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Clock was working OK on all the SWT 450s I was on today, has it been fixed across the board?

I expect Siemens just launched a replacement GPS satellite or something! :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder if the screens on GTR 317s have been fixed (and the other stock using the same CIS)?

sd0733

Established Member
All the 350s of all 3 variants have had fully functional clocks that I've seen over the last few days so somebody must have resolved that problem.

RobShipway

Established Member
The class 450 I was on leaving London Waterloo at 14:39pm last Sunday was still showing the time as 14:31 when we arrived at Martins Heron at 15:43.

Established Member
All the 350s of all 3 variants have had fully functional clocks that I've seen over the last few days so somebody must have resolved that problem.
Theres 4 variants of 350...

Status
Not open for further replies.