• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Desiro Day on SWT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desiro Day. And yep I am being serious. South West Trains are having a Desiro Day! It’s going to be on the 26 Sept. The deal is £20 and for that you will get a 24hr rover ticket to travel anywhere on SWT. The catch is you will need to get the voucher out of this months (Aug) copy of Modern locomotives Illustrated and apply for the Rover ticket by post. And of course this month’s special in the magazine is …. Yep the Desiro.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
fortunately, other traction is available, making it quite good value if it is valid over the whole SWT network.

devon_metro

Established Member
Anybody able to photocopy the relevant magazine bit?

I have no intention of buying some overpriced Marsden publication ;)

krus_aragon

Established Member
Anybody able to photocopy the relevant magazine bit?

I have no intention of buying some overpriced Marsden publication ;)

Will they accept them? Some organisations don't take photocopies of coupons and the like.

Edit: Missed the post above, sorry.

D

dylan_w

Will they accept them? Some organisations don't take photocopies of coupons and the like.

Edit: Missed the post above, sorry.

I managed to get a look at this magazine yesterday and the coupon stated that photocopies would not be valid.

An earlier comment that it would be valid for travel "anywhere on SWT" was incorrect. It had a similar map to the Midsummer Madness offer but didn't appear to be valid between Basigstoke and Salisbury (although I may be mistaken on that last one!).

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
It does say no photocopies accepted.

Indeed it is not valid on the whole SWT network either. It says you cannot use it west of Basingstoke towards Salisbury/Bristol and Exeter, and is not valid on the figure of six either.

You can, however, take a boat and go to IOW and it is also available to use FC upgrades (is it still a fiver?)

LucaZone

My take is that is it valid only on 3rd rail portions of the network, and even then, only portions operated by (you guessed it) Desiros. Therefore anything west of Basingstoke, and the IOW are out.

MCR247

Established Member
It does say no photocopies accepted.

Indeed it is not valid on the whole SWT network either. It says you cannot use it west of Basingstoke towards Salisbury/Bristol and Exeter, and is not valid on the figure of six either.

You can, however, take a boat and go to IOW and it is also available to use FC upgrades (is it still a fiver?)

you cant use it on the IOW

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I knew there would be a catch with It with SWT and there "Desiros"!

But I guess SWT are only being nice and trying to bost and advertise for the magazine so Its a good seller,but the magazine probaly got charged a small price for the ticket offer,buty taking Into account I thinks Its a brilliant deal as the magazine should be £3.75-to-£4.??.
Regards

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
sorry duff gen for the IOW, my bad :oops:

though its not just desiro's its confined to

as the magazine says:

"In addition to travelling on the Desiro Class 444 and 450 stock, you are welcome to have the travel experience of using the fully refurbished Class 455 fleet working on the Waterloo suburban routes and the Alstom-built Class 458 'juniper' sets, normally confined to the Waterloo to Reading line"

It also mentions you can try out the 158/159s from waterloo to basingstoke but makes no mention of using 158s between Eastleigh and Redbridge...

The Lymington branch is valid as is Chessington South, Hampton Court, Shepperton, Dorking and all 3 Guildford routes.

fgwrich

Established Member
My take is that is it valid only on 3rd rail portions of the network, and even then, only portions operated by (you guessed it) Desiros. Therefore anything west of Basingstoke, and the IOW are out.

sorry duff gen for the IOW, my bad :oops:

though its not just desiro's its confined to

as the magazine says:

"In addition to travelling on the Desiro Class 444 and 450 stock, you are welcome to have the travel experience of using the fully refurbished Class 455 fleet working on the Waterloo suburban routes and the Alstom-built Class 458 'juniper' sets, normally confined to the Waterloo to Reading line"

It also mentions you can try out the 158/159s from waterloo to basingstoke but makes no mention of using 158s between Eastleigh and Redbridge...

The Lymington branch is valid as is Chessington South, Hampton Court, Shepperton, Dorking and all 3 Guildford routes.

Oh Wow...

So that me out...

I get enough of the desiros...try commuting bas-eastleigh - apart from the 17:24, everythings desiro...hence why last week i went via sailisbury and back via westbury - with a ticket extention of course...:lol:

As for the "In addition to travelling on the Desiro Class 444 and 450 stock, you are welcome to have the travel experience of using the fully refurbished Class 455 fleet working on the Waterloo suburban routes and the Alstom-built Class 458 'juniper' sets, normally confined to the Waterloo to Reading line" section...HHHHHHMMMMM

Would you really want to travel on a 458 ?:idea::roll:

And i wonder what theyll be running on the Lymington Branch / The Heritage Line ?

Any Guesses*...

*No prises by the way...

Speaking of 455's, does anyone know if one was woeking ECS from Bournemouth last thursday - passed something that was bright red here in basingstoke but was getting on my swt service to salisbury at the time...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
on top of that stuff about being able to go on 455s etc, it does also say you can travel on the slammers on the Lymington branch.....

....subject to availability :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.