• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Desiro Written off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi guys

Just recived a text from a friend at Control at Waterloo saying:

One desiro Written off as it hit a tree last night!

My evil plan is working!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Nathan i feel so happy saying this....

......... the unit involoved with the collision with the tree was 444042, oh goodie a 444 out of service they should spot hire a 442 to cover for it!

thefab444

Established Member
Ah, one of the annoying ones...

Nah, not a 442, they'll just put a 450 in replacement... could we be seeing more 450 + 444s?

I hope no one was injured? You didn't mention?

westcoaster

Established Member
two different incidents i think, one of our 350 had the same problem when it was being commisioned, hit a tree near stoke-on trent

Kris

Glad it wasn't me. Weymouth driver. Never seen damage like that before from a tree. One of my mates hit a tree near Winchester with a pig during the big 1988 hurricane - post inside the window saved him.

Image010.jpg

Kris

Trying to work out if that's a plank of wood sticking out of the driver's window. Could have been fatal if it had gone through higher up.

Established Member
Not nice, Dad hit a cow once in a 50 on the way to exeter, they just reveresed a bit and put the cow down the embankment and carried on to exeter adn washed the loco off there, the joys of BR!

Dad was driving into Drax on a loaded coal train once. Saw a couple of pheasants in the four foot and he blew up but they stayed there. He was going slowly and they just stayed there so he heard 'ping ping' on the secondmans side. On the way back out he stopped and picked one of them up. Apparently it made a nice dinner... lol

Nathan

Nathan i feel so happy saying this....

......... the unit involoved with the collision with the tree was 444042, oh goodie a 444 out of service they should spot hire a 442 to cover for it!

Stephen, my statement is that this is a set back for 444s, i've had some many long journeys in the safehold of her and yes it is wishful thinking to see a 442 back.

Established Member
Couldn't they just like use 444 042 with another unit with special coupler or coach between the damaged coach front and a normal one so they wouldn't have to use 450s ???

Established Member
Erm...look at the damage and think again.

Ive seen it can't they board it up ? then stick a coach in it ? with a special coupling? and then attach another 444 ? or just send the coach to germany and be done with it:happy9: :? :? :?

T

Tom

See that big dented thing on the front of the train?

See that shattered windscreen?

See that plank of wood sticking into the windscreen?

Twit.

Kris

I think part of that coupling may be 'fluffed' too!

It is on its way back to the Fatherland fur repairen - just the ein vagon though. Cameras at the ready - should make an interesting piccie.

Siemens had a 3 car (think it was 3) test unit at Northam which I believe they scrapped shortly after the depot opened. Could have used it on the Lymmy

devon_metro

Established Member
Fred you clearly don't undertand how much SWT would be sued if they put that in service.

Health and Safety springs to mind...

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's unlikely that it's written off, I've seen trains with a hell of a lot more damage go back into service. I suspect it will just require a new front end on it, although it depends how bad the damage is further back and how it's built. With many trains, for example the HSTs, Eurostars and 58s, the cab can be swapped over, and spair cabs are available (spair Eurostar cabs can be seen at North Pole Depot), and with a lot of other types it would just be a case of swapping the fibreglass moulding from the front. With trains that new, I'd have thought they'd have body parts in stock, or else one could be made up quite easily. The front ends on the 444s are identical to the 450s (and 350s) AFAIK. Were the damage just to the windows it's possible that they could use it with the cab inside another train, and I'm sure that sort of thing has been done before, but not with that much damage. Would anyone want to drive a car with that much damage, even if it was the back or side?
Out of interest, are the fronts on the Desiros fibreglass or are they Aluminium? The body looks dented, wheras fibreglass will crack. If it is aluminium it should be possible to knock the dents out, or even run it as it is (one the windscreens, corridor connection, lights etc are repaired).

Hentis

Its a nasty pic thank goodness noone was hurt.

As to what would be done.poosibly sent back to Germany and the cab front would be replaced. I remember that Doncastor had spare 58's cabs and I beleive there is a spare 67 cab sat in an OBA wagon parked near the fence ( by the canal that runs past) at Old Oak Common. So to be honest it would possibly be the front unit to go back to Germany to be repaired.

As to bring back a 442. Would doubt it very much....would possibly need a whole forest for that!!

Cheers

Hentis

Kris

The pigs had 'stick on' fibreglass' cabs - you can even see the join - but I think that the Disastros are a complete body side etc.

444's are slightly different to 450's at the front. The cab on a 444 comes in a bit more and your arm catches on the handrail on the left - doesn't touch it on a 450.

The corridor connection at the front is longer on a 444 - don't know why really - maybe they have a longer throw around curves due to the longer coach length.

Be nice to have an ICE 3 cab on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.