• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Desiro Written off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
Why on earth did SWT retire the 442s anyway? I mean when the Desiro 444s break down (Teething troubles, trouble with trees or anything else), they may be needed for stock replacement.

If there is a shortage for 444s for whatever reason, either the train is cancelled, or a 450 will subsitute. Since the 442s have been retired, the occurance of a 444 + 450 combo has become more common... just as well the two are vagueley compatible, as if they weren't, we'd see "a bit" of overcrowding on services booked 10DES, but only formed 5DES!

JS

Ah. I'll have to fit that into some of my later planned MSTS activities.
Now what I'd like to know, is why did they retire the Wessex Electrics? And don't say because of age. They were only two decades old.

scb201

Because they were offered the Junipers for less than they were paying for the Wessies. They took the 458's back and let the 442's go. Saves money that can be given back to the shareholders, used to keep prices down and spend on 158's/159's to up capacity.

You might not like the loss of the 442's and the new Super Off Peak, but apart from that other fares have stayed lower than other opperators, they have a great fleet of new/refurbished trains and have upped capacity and increased the number of services. Say that of another recently awarded contract.

TheSlash

Established Member
Ah. I'll have to fit that into some of my later planned MSTS activities.
Now what I'd like to know, is why did they retire the Wessex Electrics? And don't say because of age. They were only two decades old.
Because they were a minority fleet operating out of a dedicated depot.
24 units using 1950's technology for traction. You may mention the 455's, but how many exist {SWT and Southern} compared to the 442's?
The press circus surrounding the 458's was also a decision, nobody wanted to admit that 30 french trains still didn't work properly 8 years{?} after they were introduced

thefab444

Established Member
I must say, apart from some legroom issues, the work they've done on the 158s is rather good. It's a shame other operators down here don't seem to understand the meaning of the word refurb... if FGW ever do anything about the shoddy nature of their 158s, it'll be an HST-style refurb. Can't be any worse than it currently is!

Bit of a shame SWT are being kicked out of Brighton really; another service consigned to history.

Hentis

Still Come August there is supposed to be a clear out of pigs from Eastleigh for Stewarts Lane. So camera's at the ready.

Hentis

AlexS

Established Member
they have a great fleet of new/refurbished trains and have upped capacity and increased the number of services. Say that of another recently awarded contract.

Technically speaking, you could say that of all sorts of companies. Southern, SET, Virgin West Coast, Cross Country and so on. Yes, the 'great' part of the fleet is debateable, but then, so are the 450s.

thefab444

Established Member
But they're not recently awarded though? I think the OP meant First Capital Connect and their ilk...

JS

PS I presume the Eastleigh - Stewarts Lane moves will be done without an assisting loco?

Hentis

PS I presume the Eastleigh - Stewarts Lane moves will be done without an assisting loco?

Yep as far as I am aware its a handful of Freightliner drivers that have been trained to drive them, hence the runs a few weeks ago.

Hentis

First Capital Connect and their ilk...

Actually, we were pretty impressed with the FCC Class 365 sets.
They were rather comfy, smooth and a fast ride to Cambridge from Kings Lynn. I have not been on the FCC Class 313 or 317 sets as to date, but I hope to be doing so before long. But I have been on the 313/317 units in WAGN days (2004). I even managed to sit with the driver for seven stations down the Hertford Loop on my last trip to London! (Cuffley, Crews Hill, Gordon Hill, Enfield Chase, Grange Park, Winchmore Hill). That really made my day. It's on my camcorder too!

But now back to the topic...
Has a date been announced for the Class 442 relocation scheme? If I could make it to Eastleigh for the date and time of the relocation then I would at least try to get there. But when you live in Canada, and you have relatives who live only in Hertfordshire, it's a pretty long shot to Eastleigh by one's self.
And that's if I even come to England this year. Dad's being a bit of a hard boiled egg at the moment. Saying it's too expensive when it's $800+ cheaper than last year!
Still, we'll see what the future holds in for my trainspotting activities...
Harry

T

Tom

Your posts are pretty short then.... ;)

It's not a relocation scheme BTW, it's simply that they're going to be leased by Southern. There is no set date but early - mid August is what I've been told now.

Don't show off about cabrides that aren't offical either, very very bad idea.

Ah! So we're going to be seeing these 442s on Victoria-Portsmouth workings then are we? That would be extremely delightful. If I do come to England, I fly to Gatwick Airport, so that would be right in my trainspotting path.
Or are they likely to be on other workings away from the Redhill area?

Harry

T

Tom

No.

Gatwick Express and London - Brighton

And the majority of pigs won't run through Redhill, they'll run via the Quarry lines.

I see. I've heard that's an extremely busy section of the line.
Still, they will be going to and through Gatwick Airport then. Because if I do visit England, it will most likely be the 27th July-9th September. So on the 9th of september I will probably see a few 442s about?

T

Tom

On stock moves from Eastleigh to Stewarts Lane/Selhurst, probably. Not in service - that's next year.

T

Tom

:lol:

Should be on some of those trains with those EE546 motors currently in Eastleigh, oh...wait. ;)

And Paul how can you call a 60 mile line a mainline? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.