• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Destination displays & blinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Outside London do any bus operators still use traditional destination blinds rather than the electronic type?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Trent still use blinds, but have changed to LEds on the more recent new deliveries.

Be3G

Established Member
Roadrunner (or whatever their name is this week), who operate buses in Hertfordshire, use sheets of A4 paper in the windscreen if that counts?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Western Greyhound, run by an ex-London busman (but see other recent threads on WG)

fgwrich

Established Member
Western Greyhound, run by an ex-London busman (but see other recent threads on WG)

Their more recent solos had LEDs?

They did, but like a lot of things with WG have recently gone backwards and started using the roller blind boxes of their older 'newer' arrivals. As per this rather full looking MPD - Presumably with used blinds from the ex Beaver 2 fleet - which much to my surprise is showing a Destination as well, unlike the usual wonky Westerngreyhound.com which seems to spend more time filling WGs destination boxes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118283754@N07/14944639194

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Loads of the smaller operators still use buses with them fitted. Although, some of those don't use anything more than the number on them with cards being placed in the front to show the destination.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know all the arguments in favour of LED and I can see their advantage from the operator's point of view, but from the passenger perspective I always prefer a roller blind provided (a) the font is good and (b) when dark, the blindbox is lit up. On the latter, would it not be beyond the wit of someone to connect the headlight on/off switch to the front blindbox?

Hophead

Established Member
I know all the arguments in favour of LED and I can see their advantage from the operator's point of view, but from the passenger perspective I always prefer a roller blind provided (a) the font is good and (b) when dark, the blindbox is lit up. On the latter, would it not be beyond the wit of someone to connect the headlight on/off switch to the front blindbox?

I think (without wishing to put words in your post), you might also want to add:
c) the blind hasn't faded
d) it's correctly set (i.e. not showing half where it's going and half where it's come from or something like that).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think (without wishing to put words in your post), you might also want to add:
c) the blind hasn't faded
d) it's correctly set (i.e. not showing half where it's going and half where it's come from or something like that).

You're welcome to put words in my mouth (I'm not proud) because that is indubitably true, but in that case I'd have to add
e) LED blinds can be incredibly difficult to read in direct sunlight, rather like cash machines outside banks and
f) LED blinds can also be incorrectly set e.g in my area a First no. 1 bus from Land's End can show Penzance via Helston, which display appertains to the no. 2 route from Falmouth.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
If we all lived in a regulated area then blinds would be excellent. As it is, other than London, we all live in de-regulated areas where competition can turn up at 56 days notice. Any operator needs to adjust quickly if they wish to stay in business. Good quality LED screens are excellent in this regard.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Faded LEDs are bad, but that's nearly always bad design. They last ages and should be able to do 20-30,000 hours before fading. Sadly, there seem to be many terrible screens in use that probably aren't fit for purpose.

If a decent design, they're plenty bright enough to be read in all conditions.

Hophead

Established Member
Have to say that, on a visit to Hull a year ago, I was surprised to see EYMS electronic blinds that cycled through a noticeable on/off sequence (over 3-5 seconds or so, I'd say) - I've never noticed anything like that round here (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Is that common elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.