• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Destination: London Zones 1-6 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillPS

Established Member
Hi,
I've always purchased Travelcards separately from any tickets, but on a forthcoming trip it might work out easier for me to book with Z1-6 as the destination (expenses related reason). Out of curiosity, how are these tickets issued? Are they a return with a Z1-6 destination, or do you get a separate Travelcard coupon?

If the former, which portion do you show drivers/inspectors/gateline staff?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One coupon issued with "Day Travelcard" or "One Day Travelcard" annotated at the top.

You show the same ticket on the outbound and return journeys.

I have, though, examples of outboundary travelcards issued incorrectly on separate OUT and RTN coupons from last year.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you're wanting just a return trip to a station within the zones, the ticket will be issued from your origin to the relevant zones e.g. 'U12'. These permit one return journey within the zones (as far as I'm aware) and can be used to get through gatelines etc.

EDIT: I've just realised it's a through Travelcard you're wanting - oops!

WillPS

Established Member
Specifically, I'm going to Lakeside Centre, and was intending to get a Chafford Hundred to London Z1-6 Travelcard to cover that journey and some more around London. This would actually involve going from London to Chafford Hundred and return, and so would use the Outward before the Return portion (if the tickets were issued that way) which I understand is not within the rules. Does the same apply with these outboundary Travelcards?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Specifically, I'm going to Lakeside Centre, and was intending to get a Chafford Hundred to London Z1-6 Travelcard to cover that journey and some more around London. This would actually involve going from London to Chafford Hundred and return, and so would use the Outward before the Return portion (if the tickets were issued that way) which I understand is not within the rules. Does the same apply with these outboundary Travelcards?

You cannot use a Chafford Hundred - London Zones 1-6 Travelcard to go to Chafford and then back into the zones. You will need an inboundary Zones 1-6 Travelcard and a Boundary Zone 6 - Chafford Hundred return to be able to do that.

Outboundary Travelcards are always issued to London Zones 1-6, not from.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You'd need an in-boundary Travelcard and a BZ6 - Chafford Hundred CDR to do that.

WillPS

Established Member
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Thought it might be the case! Next question - how can I get WebTIS to issue me a Z1-6 travelcard and a Boundary Zone 6 - Chafford Hundred day return?

The last time I did this journey, I purchased a travelcard from a station and an Upminster - Chafford Hundred return but I need to use WebTIS on this occasion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Boundary Zone tickets are not available online. You need to go to a station, use telesales or a Southern ticket machine.

causton

Established Member
Boundary Zone tickets are not available online. You need to go to a station, use telesales or a Southern ticket machine.

Telesales do not know what Boundary Zone tickets are IME. I called every single phone number for the companies who have telesales and they said they could only issue tickets to actual stations like on a TVM - no special destinations*! I asked what the point of it was and never got an answer really...

*This was confirmed earlier this year/ last year when there was a loophole that one specific ticket was double-discounted when you asked for it with a railcard discount - i.e. 34% taken off and then 34% taken off again. Closed now, or rather, they seem to have made the minimum £12 fare apply for it all the time!

WillPS

Established Member
Okay - I am trying to get RSH to issue me with a Z1-6 travelcard, which I'll combine with an Upminster - Chafford Hundred return. Can anybody advise on how to get it to do that. At the moment I'm trying London Fenchurch Street to 0035, but it's drawing a blank...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Okay - I am trying to get RSH to issue me with a Z1-6 travelcard, which I'll combine with an Upminster - Chafford Hundred return. Can anybody advise on how to get it to do that. At the moment I'm trying London Fenchurch Street to 0035, but it's drawing a blank...

It needs to be able to return an actual journey from the origin to London Terminals to be able to issue the ticket. Try any origin that is not a London Terminal.

(Or for fun, try Heathrow Und as an origin. :))

WillPS

Established Member
It needs to be able to return an actual journey from the origin to London Terminals to be able to issue the ticket. Try any origin that is not a London Terminal.

Ahhah! Brilliant stuff, thanks Brian!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

Hi :) Sorry for commenting on an old thread, but I thought it'd beat creating a new one for something you must get asked all the time.

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing as WillPS and I followed the advice to put in Heathrow Underdg to 0035 and it looks like it worked! Only now I've no idea what I've put into the booking engine nor what will be printed on the ticket when I collect it - so I'm scared of paying for it! Is there something I should know? And will it work in an LU barrier if it is printed on "Rail Settlement Plan" tickets?

Haha, it turfs out 60tph for the route as well!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm trying to do exactly the same thing as WillPS and I followed the advice to put in Heathrow Underdg to 0035 and it looks like it worked! Only now I've no idea what I've put into the booking engine nor what will be printed on the ticket when I collect it - so I'm scared of paying for it! Is there something I should know? And will it work in an LU barrier if it is printed on "Rail Settlement Plan" tickets?

0035 is the code for a Zones 1-6 Travelcard.

When I issue these on our TIS, I usually use KGX to 0035 - as most of our customers head into London via Kings Cross. Equally 1072 (London Terminals) to 0035 would work. If you just require Zones 1-2 the code is 0032.

The Travelcard will work the barriers just like normal, despite being on Orange ticket stock rather than TfL (LU/DLR) stock.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
When I issue these on our TIS, I usually use KGX to 0035 - as most of our customers head into London via Kings Cross. Equally 1072 (London Terminals) to 0035 would work. If you just require Zones 1-2 the code is 0032.

But that doesn't seem to work? Am I doing something wrong? It's different to what bb21 said too! It won't let me buy it with King's X in from!

I guess, my point is, will I be able to use it (If I buy Heathrow Undergd - 0035, with railcard selected) exactly the same as if I walked up to the LU counter, showed them my 16-25 railcard and asked for a 1-6 travelcard?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can't buy them with an origin station of a London Terminal when using WebTIS. Just pick another station in the relevant zones as the named station doesn't affect validity for an inboundary travelcard.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can't buy them with an origin station of a London Terminal when using WebTIS. Just pick another station in the relevant zones as the named station doesn't affect validity for an inboundary travelcard.

And they say online booking is easier. I'd forgotten about this annoying quirk with WebTIS - sorry for the wrong advice (second time on this thread, oops!). I got it to work with Finsbury Park to 0035 as an example.

island

Veteran Member
1072 to 0035 is invalid.

When buying at a station the clerk can use any named station. When buying online you may need to choose a station that isn't a London terminal, such as Strawberry Hill.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
And they say online booking is easier. I'd forgotten about this annoying quirk with WebTIS - sorry for the wrong advice (second time on this thread, oops!). I got it to work with Finsbury Park to 0035 as an example.

Haha, I don't know about easier - It's just so I don't have to stand in the saturday morning queue at Euston!

Strawberry Hill it is then! What a great name!

Thanks for sorting that out :)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As island said, you cannot buy an inboundary travelcard from WebTIS with an origin station that is a London Terminal. Choose another station that's in the relevant zones as the origin station. Why this is is a mystery to me though.

causton

Established Member
As island said, you cannot buy an inboundary travelcard from WebTIS with an origin station that is a London Terminal. Choose another station that's in the relevant zones as the origin station. Why this is is a mystery to me though.

Because WebTIS calculates the journey as being to the nearest London Terminal. The nearest London Terminal to a London Terminal is itself, and you cannot buy a ticket from one station to the same station!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you do it regularly why not buy an Oyster and get them to load the YP discount. It's capped at the same price as the Travelcard, if you stay in Z1-2 the cap is £4.60.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
A bit of a contradiction there. At the moment the zone 1-6 discounted travelcard is the same as the zone 1-6 discounted travelcard, ie £5.60. From January the paper versions will be increasing which will also affect the extra difference with zones 1-2 and 1-4 which have lower caps but no discounted paper equivalents.
Is it? I've had these conclusions elsewhere:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74429&page=3

Thank's anyway though!
That thread is all about 2013 fares which will be different to todays.

34D

Established Member
it might work out easier for me to book with Z1-6 as the destination (expenses related reason).

Rather than choosing Strawberry Hill or Heathrow it may be easier for your companys expense clerks if you use your nearest home or office station (doesn't make any difference at all to validity or fare).

Status
Not open for further replies.