• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Destinations served from Yarm/Thornaby

Status
Not open for further replies.

plannerman

A friend of mine is looking to arrange a day out for herself by rail, mainly to act as a confidence booster after certain setbacks she's had. Her local station is Yarm, and Thornaby is within reach as well.

My question is which destinations (that a non-rail enthusiast would want to go to) are served from these stations? She doesn't want to change trains at all, that would be asking too much at this stage. I know TPE go from Yarm to York/Leeds/Manchester. Where else is there?

Thanks fellas (and ladies)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well from Yarm without a change that's your lot as only TPE call there. From Thornaby the only other station you can get to without a change (that might be of interest to a non-rail enthusiast) is Newcastle or maybe Hartlepool (the marina is quite nice). Services from Thornaby do also call at places like Darlington, Middlesbrough and Saltburn. Limiting yourself to those two stations without any changes does restrict your options significantly.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From Thornaby and Yarm hourly - Middlesbrough, Northallerton, Thirsk, York, Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester
From Thornaby only hourly or better - Newcastle, Sunderland, Hartlepool, Redcar, Saltburn, Darlington and Bishop Auckland (1tp2h)

Last edited:

plannerman

Thanks, that was quick! I agree she's restricting herself, but at this stage it's more a case of just getting herself out there. I'll pass these suggestions on - cheers

Established Member
Saltburn from Thornaby would be decent, walk along the pier and some fish and chips.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Saltburn from Thornaby would be decent, walk along the pier and some fish and chips.

Could also have a ride on the cliff lift and a wander through the Valley Gardens which contains a miniature railway as well (though the railway only operates on weekends and bank holidays).

Status
Not open for further replies.