• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Detonator Placers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
I have a vague feeling that by the time I started as a signalman in 1979 all new issue dets were yellow. However, I think can remember some that were red and, possibly, blue.

...each signalman on starting his daily duty was expected to check the placers were in working order by operating the lever or stirrup for each placer.

Oh, indeed, that is highly likely to have happened. Every time you used the detonator lever and then returned it to normal without the dets having been shot, the signalman would have to go out and check that the dets on their plate had retracted properly. Otherwise you risked shooting a train and possibly bringing it to an emergency stand, followed by a ‘Please explain...’ This wasn’t a Rule book instruction, but experience. (At 06.00 on a wet and cold winter Monday with the box fire out while the box was closed over the weekend, I should co-co.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dogspike

My copy of the 1972 "General Appendix" says that for the period 1st July-30th June, the colour codes were:
1966/67: White; 67/68: Orange; 68/69: Red; 69/70: Green; 70/71: Grey; 71/72: Yellow; 72/73: Blue
The colours then restart in 73/74 with White.

That ties up with the three dets we have at St Albans South which are all yellow and date from 2011. We show them to visiting parties, particularly the younger ones, to explain they are dangerous, if they ever find one lying about it must not to be touched and to call an adult immediately.

Additional Info: Detonators in detonator placers needed to be changed every two months, according to the 1972 General Appendix "...on the first Monday in each alternate month and a record made in the Train Register when the change is made.". Station managers were also charged with making frequent checks on the detonator placers and each signalman on starting his daily duty was expected to check the placers were in working order by operating the lever or stirrup for each placer.
Hi John what Ashley Hill explained and what you stated that is in the 1972 Appendix makes a little more sense to me now, ( I must obtain a copy ) BUT going by the dates of the colours for instance White was for 1966/67 dose this mean the Detonators expired after one year or do they still stay compliant for three years and if so that means there would be three colours in operation White ,Orange and Red nearing the end of the White expiry’s date of three years.
If the Detonators are to be replaced every two months in the Detonator Placers with a colour coding as a date I could see mix ups happening so was there a stamped date on them along with the colour,
fresh ones could be mixed up with old ones as they all look the same, eg All a Orange colour.

John Webb

Established Member
Hi John what Ashley Hill explained and what you stated that is in the 1972 Appendix makes a little more sense to me now, ( I must obtain a copy ) BUT going by the dates of the colours for instance White was for 1966/67 dose this mean the Detonators expired after one year or do they still stay compliant for three years and if so that means there would be three colours in operation White ,Orange and Red nearing the end of the White expiry’s date of three years.
If the Detonators are to be replaced every two months in the Detonator Placers with a colour coding as a date I could see mix ups happening so was there a stamped date on them along with the colour,
fresh ones could be mixed up with old ones as they all look the same, eg All a Orange colour.
The detail of how and when detonators were to be exchanged in detonator placers and elsewhere and how long they were valid for runs to over a (foolscap) page in the 1972 General Appendix, so you will appreciate within the confines of this Forum it's not easy to repeat the considerable information that publication has! You also need to appreciate that I never worked on the railway - all my knowledge comes from reading and what I've been told by a few people who did, so the fine detail like your last sentence above I regret is something I just cannot answer, much as I would like to. Best bet is to see if you can hold of a copy of the General Appendix; the full title is "British Railways General Appendix to Working Timetables and books of Rules and Regulations", published by BR HQ 1st October 1972, BR Reference B.R. 29944. (The previous edition dates from 1st October 1960 - there is little difference between the two as far as detonators are concerned.)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Here’s a link to a 1972 General Appendix on eBay if you have an account. There are other ones in better condition there too.

Dogspike

The detail of how and when detonators were to be exchanged in detonator placers and elsewhere and how long they were valid for runs to over a (foolscap) page in the 1972 General Appendix, so you will appreciate within the confines of this Forum it's not easy to repeat the considerable information that publication has! You also need to appreciate that I never worked on the railway - all my knowledge comes from reading and what I've been told by a few people who did, so the fine detail like your last sentence above I regret is something I just cannot answer, much as I would like to. Best bet is to see if you can hold of a copy of the General Appendix; the full title is "British Railways General Appendix to Working Timetables and books of Rules and Regulations", published by BR HQ 1st October 1972, BR Reference B.R. 29944. (The previous edition dates from 1st October 1960 - there is little difference between the two as far as detonators are concerned.)
Hi John I appreciate your response and not knowing a answer is ok and if someone at some stage can shed light on my question then we will both know the answer to it, there are many people who haven't worked within the rail system but can often hold a wealth of information like yourself because they are interested in its history. The last 22 years of my working life before I retired was for a rail company every two years I would have to sit in a classroom for 8 hours including a end exam that required 100% pass just to keep my level one ticket however this was modern times so I have learnt it but what happened in the days of old I’m still learning about just like you from books that I have acquired and from past employees that I know who had started working as steam drivers towards the end of steam and signalmen through the 1970s that still talk and reminisce about the railway in every sentence they speak. And of course with the invention of the internet I have been fortunate to have been able to meet people around the world that share a common interest in the railways just like this Forum, so it looks like there’s going to be another book to the collection a 1972 edition this time I will check out eBay as Ashley Hill suggested and work from there the search is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.