• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deutsche Bahn compulsory reservations on IC/ICE proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've noticed a bit of to-ing and fro-ing on Twitter about Reservierungspflicht im Fernverkehr (compulsory reservations on IC/ICE services) but not seen where this originated from, and Googling turns up nothing recent. Is this a proposal from DB, if so does anyone know more about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
DB is rather against it I think. Some politicians and lobby groups suggest this at times. Sadly I have no source at hand now.
Considering the current delays, it would not be very useful when changing trains.

Austriantrain

Established Member
I've noticed a bit of to-ing and fro-ing on Twitter about Reservierungspflicht im Fernverkehr (compulsory reservations on IC/ICE services) but not seen where this originated from, and Googling turns up nothing recent. Is this a proposal from DB, if so does anyone know more about it?

There has just been a huge discussion on that in Austria. ÖBB have come out against it, and rightly so. DB have, IIRC, also stated their opposition time and time again, and they know their market.

zero

Compulsory reservation in France and Spain is why my rail travels have tended to Germany and Switzerland in the years before covid.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I thought that on all ICE/IC trains, reservations were compulsory already, although when there were some disruptions and I had to use alternative trains and therefore did not have reservations, I was able to board ok and found a spare seat.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I thought that on all ICE/IC trains, reservations were compulsory already, although when there were some disruptions and I had to use alternative trains and therefore did not have reservations, I was able to board ok and found a spare seat.
Generally not. Perhaps you were using an International ICE, which may have been?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I'm sure that when ICE trains first came out they were reservation compulsory but I may be wrong.

zero

That's not the case, seat reservations incur an extra charge, even when your ticket is only valid on a specific train - unlike many UK TOCs where advance tickets must have a seat reservation (I suppose it's like having counted places - it doesn't completely guarantee you'll get to sit down but usually does).

And you can certainly buy a flexible ticket without any seat reservation.

davetheguard

Established Member
Compulsory reservation in France and Spain is why my rail travels have tended to Germany and Switzerland in the years before covid.

I agree wholeheartedly. TGV reservations in France are a pain in the bum.

duesselmartin

Established Member
ICE International has no compulsory reservation exp. those going into France.

What can happen is that your not sold a ticket via the app or the www if the trains is deemed fully booked.
That however does not stop you from booking a Flexticket for another connection and using it on the overbooked train.

Austriantrain

Established Member
I'm sure that when ICE trains first came out they were reservation compulsory but I may be wrong.

DB never had a compulsory reservation policy, except for peak DB Sprinter trains, but that’s gone too. Obviously, on international services, in other countries their rules apply, which is why an ICE or THV train to Paris will be reservation-only from the border (but not for domestic travel!).

I believe that DB are right. Germany is a decentralized country meaning that not everything tilts towards Berlin. Typical journeys are therefore not that long, motorways are excellent and many Germans have their BMW or Mercedes parked in front of their door, meaning an alternative is easily available if the train is not user-friendly.

Germans actually do reserve a lot and many trains are fully reserved. The important thing is the extra flexibility if plans change - you might have to stand, but you still get home.

Interesting, the same nonsense as here then. Wonder who did it first?

I think it actually is a very good idea. It’s a clear message that you will likely not get a seat and travel at the risk of standing. So if you can, you will chose a different train.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm sure I have bought a ticket on DB/OBB with a reservation included.
This is with the higher Sparpreis fare level I think, or maybe in First.
That's not quite the same as compulsory reservation, but you get the €3 price of the reservation thrown in with the ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it actually is a very good idea. It’s a clear message that you will likely not get a seat and travel at the risk of standing. So if you can, you will chose a different train.

I really dislike it - it's misleading. Better to warn the passenger that the train is already busy but still allow them to buy.

zero

If I want a seat, I'll make a reservation. Otherwise I am happy to stand. In fact I prefer to stand if the type of seat that I want (facing forward on a specific side of the train) is not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.