• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Developments at Birmingham Moor Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
Just been looking at Jonathan Webb's Fotopic site, UpMain. There are two photo's on there of Birmingham Moor Street, I don't know how recent they are (though I assume must have been taken fairly recently) but does anyone know what work is going in them? I didn't think the platforms were being connected to the system for another few year ( :roll: ), so what are they up to? I presume they've just removed the vegetation and the (purely for show) track that was laid when the platforms were refurbished, though I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows better.

Here are the two pictures:
http://www.upmain.fotopic.net/p62521966.html
http://www.upmain.fotopic.net/p62521971.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Some years back I tendered for the connection works at Moor St.

The issue then was the scarcity of signalling design and testing resources. In these straitened times I suspect this has now changed.

This involved the renewal of the existing track in the former GW station platforms, and to all intents and purposes it looks like this is the preparatory works, but don't take my word on it.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the platforms will be re-connected sometime next year

mindfeeder

So does this mean that if the platforms are used that trains would then start at Moor Street when working southbound services?

I guess they've got to put some track in first though.

barrykas

Established Member
AIUI, the plan is to reinstate two out of the three terminal platforms at Moor Street, and two sidings at Bordesley IIRC, to provide additional terminating and stabling capacity for Chiltern.

At the same time, Chiltern's Tyseley based drivers will relocate to Moor Street (not sure if the Stourbridge Junction drivers will as well), to improve service recovery when things go wrong.

Once that's done, one Chiltern service an hour will start from/terminate at Moor Street, with the other running through to Snow Hill.

Cheers,

Barry

Old Timer

Established Member
When I was last involved with it, this was because they only wanted a simple solution, and did not see the need for the extra platform, although the provision would not be that great, but he who pays the piper calls the tune.

The work also requires the Wing Yip bridge to be replaced and I do not know if that took place ?

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Do you mean bi-di signalling?

If so, it was signalled as such through Moor Street station, when Snow Hill reopened.

No, if you look at the right hand side the map, the arrow on the top line (the up?) is pointing to the left, where-as conventional (left hand) running it would be pointing to the right, or have they put the arrows on wrong.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, if you look at the right hand side the map, the arrow on the top line (the up?) is pointing to the left, where-as conventional (left hand) running it would be pointing to the right, or have they put the arrows on wrong.
I wonder if it may be confusion on the part of whoever drew the diagram as what is currently marked as platform 1 on that diagram is currently platform 2.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Speaking of Birmingham upgrades, does anyone remember the British Rail plan to have a Birmingham Heartlands station ?

We already have a Birmingham Heartlands hospital and that is shockingly poor :D

But there were proposals to replace New Street with a new station on the old Curzon Street site but they went for Gateway instead. It will be interesting to see where they want to terminate High Speed in Birmingham when the proposals come out

Ah!

Yes, the arrows are wrong!

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Thought so, just shows how much care is taken over these things, but after the Axminster doubling thought it better to check :lol:.
Incidently, on the subject of Axminster, I have been informed that the siggies have been told not to use the bi-di unless absolutely necessary, even if it causes more delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.