• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Devon Bus - day ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Apologies if this has been posted in advance and I've missed it...

New multi operator ticket for Devon bus operators

https://www.journeydevon.info/files/2016/03/Devon-Day-Leaflet-WEB.pdf

Thanks to the SW Yahoo Group posting for the following info...

The tickets cost £8.50 adult, £5.70 child (age 5-15) and there is also a family ticket for £17 (one or two adults and up to three children). Tickets are valid throughout the day of issue without time restrictions.

Participating operators are:
  • Stagecoach South West,
  • Plymouth CityBus,
  • Axe Valley Mini Travel,
  • Country Bus,
  • Dartline,
  • Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company,
  • Filers Travel,
  • Hatch Green Coaches,
  • Local Link,
  • Tally Ho,
  • Target Travel,
  • Turners Tours.

Tickets are not issued by Taw & Torridge or Redwoods, but may be used on their services.

The following routes outside Devon are also included:

To Lyme Regis: Stagecoach 9a (which commences 2nd May)
To Taunton: Stagecoach 20 and Dartline 387
To Dulverton: Dartline 398
To Bude: Stagecoach 6, 6a, 85, 217, 219, 319
To Gunnislake: Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 79/79a
To Saltash: Stagecoach 2/2a and Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 10, 11/11a , 12
To Torpoint: Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 70/70a/70b, 71

Devon Day tickets are NOT issued or accepted on the South West Falcon coach service, on services operated by First Dorset or Buses of Somerset. Note the gap on the map between Wellington and Tiverton!!

I've done a few AvonRiders and quite a few Wiltshire Day Rovers.... perhaps a trip to Devon is required?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

henairs

Apologies if this has been posted in advance and I've missed it...

New multi operator ticket for Devon bus operators

https://www.journeydevon.info/files/2016/03/Devon-Day-Leaflet-WEB.pdf

Thanks to the SW Yahoo Group posting for the following info...

The tickets cost £8.50 adult, £5.70 child (age 5-15) and there is also a family ticket for £17 (one or two adults and up to three children). Tickets are valid throughout the day of issue without time restrictions.

Participating operators are:
  • Stagecoach South West,
  • Plymouth CityBus,
  • Axe Valley Mini Travel,
  • Country Bus,
  • Dartline,
  • Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company,
  • Filers Travel,
  • Hatch Green Coaches,
  • Local Link,
  • Tally Ho,
  • Target Travel,
  • Turners Tours.

Tickets are not issued by Taw & Torridge or Redwoods, but may be used on their services.

The following routes outside Devon are also included:

To Lyme Regis: Stagecoach 9a (which commences 2nd May)
To Taunton: Stagecoach 20 and Dartline 387
To Dulverton: Dartline 398
To Bude: Stagecoach 6, 6a, 85, 217, 219, 319
To Gunnislake: Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 79/79a
To Saltash: Stagecoach 2/2a and Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 10, 11/11a , 12
To Torpoint: Plymouth CityBus/Go Cornwall Bus 70/70a/70b, 71

Devon Day tickets are NOT issued or accepted on the South West Falcon coach service, on services operated by First Dorset or Buses of Somerset. Note the gap on the map between Wellington and Tiverton!!

I've done a few AvonRiders and quite a few Wiltshire Day Rovers.... perhaps a trip to Devon is required?
I presume Stagecoach will still do their Explorer tickets as of now. Of course with SCC withdrawing funding the 22 Tiverton workings cease to operate in a few more weeks. Used to be a good link from Taunton towards Devon so hopefully Falcon will prosper as a good alternative. It states on the Falcon leaflet that a £7 50 return ticket on this service can be used on any other Stagecoach service in Devon. Cheers, Mike R

iantherev

Stagecoach will continue with the Explorer but anyone wanting to use other operators will need to buy the new Devon day ticket.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I presume Stagecoach will still do their Explorer tickets as of now. Of course with SCC withdrawing funding the 22 Tiverton workings cease to operate in a few more weeks. Used to be a good link from Taunton towards Devon so hopefully Falcon will prosper as a good alternative. It states on the Falcon leaflet that a £7 50 return ticket on this service can be used on any other Stagecoach service in Devon. Cheers, Mike R

Have they confirmed that the 22 to Tiverton is going?

I expect it's going to be like Wiltshire or CUBA (Avon). A multi-operator ticket in Devon but the Stagecoach Explorer will remain at a pound cheaper - the only routes that aren't covered are the 584/595 (soon to be lost) and 99/99A though.

embers25

Established Member
Stagecoach will continue with the Explorer but anyone wanting to use other operators will need to buy the new Devon day ticket.

FYI TheGrandWazoo: the Stagecoach Explorer is currently a multi Operator ticket as it is accepted on all Devonbus services...even if Stagecoach don't publicise it.

So just to confirm this is actually a BIG fare increase for those of us who start our journey on Stagecoach as currently the Explorer is only £7.50 Adult and £15 for a group of 5 (not just a family) and valid on all the listed Devonbus services AND Falcon from Plymouth to Taunton but now to use non-Stagecoach Devonbus services you have to pay £8.50 as an Adult and there is no group ticket and for that higher fare you'll be able to use less services as Falcon is excluded!!! Not impressed!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
FYI TheGrandWazoo: the Stagecoach Explorer is currently a multi Operator ticket as it is accepted on all Devonbus services...even if Stagecoach don't publicise it.

So just to confirm this is actually a BIG fare increase for those of us who start our journey on Stagecoach as currently the Explorer is only £7.50 Adult and £15 for a group of 5 (not just a family) and valid on all the listed Devonbus services AND Falcon from Plymouth to Taunton but now to use non-Stagecoach Devonbus services you have to pay £8.50 as an Adult and there is no group ticket and for that higher fare you'll be able to use less services as Falcon is excluded!!! Not impressed!

Is this some hidden feature? On the Stagecoach website it says:

Terms and conditions

a day's unlimited travel on all Stagecoach South West buses

also valid on Local Link buses in Torbay, Country Bus services in Newton Abbot (except route 39C), and Rail River Link route 100 (Totnes - Paignton)

valid until the end of service on the day of purchase

Not saying you're wrong as there was a feature of Explorer North East where you could use Northumberland CC supported services but it never seemingly appeared in any publicity!!

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
Is this some hidden feature? On the Stagecoach website it says:

Terms and conditions

a day's unlimited travel on all Stagecoach South West buses

also valid on Local Link buses in Torbay, Country Bus services in Newton Abbot (except route 39C), and Rail River Link route 100 (Totnes - Paignton)

valid until the end of service on the day of purchase

Not saying you're wrong as there was a feature of Explorer North East where you could use Northumberland CC supported services but it never seemingly appeared in any publicity!!

Stagecoach have never mentioned it but it's on the Devon website:

https://www.journeydevon.info/files/2015/10/Ticket-Details-Jan-2016.pdf

I've never had any issues on other companies either so it must be known by operators and maybe they pointed out it wasn't fair that they had to take Explorers but couldn't issue them or anything similar? Either way the new ticket is worse, particularly for groups where five people will now pay £42.50 instead of £15 and not be able to use Falcon!

The new ticket is obviously valid more on Citybus and also on Axe Valley via Branscombe which may be of use to some but in general it's worse. Also I note neither ticket is valid on Jacketts?

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Stagecoach have never mentioned it but it's on the Devon website:

https://www.journeydevon.info/files/2015/10/Ticket-Details-Jan-2016.pdf

I've never had any issues on other companies either so it must be known by operators and maybe they pointed out it wasn't fair that they had to take Explorers but couldn't issue them or anything similar? Either way the new ticket is worse, particularly for groups where five people will now pay £42.50 instead of £15 and not be able to use Falcon!

Well I never knew that. Wonderfully hidden :sad:

Guess it will be only an issue if the SW Explorer is withdrawn (and is that confirmed?)

embers25

Established Member
Well I never knew that. Wonderfully hidden :sad:

Guess it will be only an issue if the SW Explorer is withdrawn (and is that confirmed?)

Well I assume that with this new ticket that these extra well hidden benefits will be withdrawn as iantherev seemed to imply. I never understood why it was so well hidden!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
can I travel on the Dartmouth railway with this ticket

No just their 100 Riverlink bus from Torquay to Totnes I think. Possibly also their bus to the Greenway House if its not free to ticket holders?

iantherev

I believe that Explorer use age on other tendered services was a Devon CC requirement rather than a Stagecoach initiative.

I'm still trying to work out what DCC had to do to get the redoubtable Frances Searle to accept the new ticket. Presumably she's anticipating more revenue than my occasional contribution....

embers25

Established Member
I believe that Explorer use age on other tendered services was a Devon CC requirement rather than a Stagecoach initiative.

I'm still trying to work out what DCC had to do to get the redoubtable Frances Searle to accept the new ticket. Presumably she's anticipating more revenue than my occasional contribution....

I wondered that too given their reluctance to accept anything till now. Also considering their Lyme Regis extensions are likely to stop given the new Stagecoach service.

Maybe with First screwing up the X53 so much Axe Valley figure there's money to be had from selling this to tourists in Seaton, Sidmouth and Beer as the £8.50 is more than their usual return fare and they are probably right. If you are in Seaton you could now get Axe Valley to Sidmouth rather than wait for the direct Stagecoach and change onto Stagecoach at Sidmouth and buy your through ticket on Axe Valley.

317 forever

Established Member
A welcome initiative, but I notice Jackett Coaches have not joined the scheme. I had a quick look and it seems their Saturday bus from Barnstaple to Plymouth has been withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.