• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Devon & Cornwall Railway new TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
i was looking through the 2012 NRT on my computer, when i saw a new TOC called Devon & Cornwall Railway, they have not started yet but are expected to soon, who are they? how big are they? what is the history of company behind them? what is known about them? what units or loco's etc will they use? sorry so many questions but interested to know as much as possible about them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Aren't they the company involved in the railway to Okehampton? They've been pressing ton run regular Okehampton-Exeter trains for a while, and though they got a freight license they have never gained one to run passenger trains. They've been about a good few years, and are also keen to see the line restored through Meldon and into Cornwall via Tavistock. I think, and I may be getting confused, that LHCS has been proposed for the new services.

anthony263

Established Member
Correct they do want to run a few trains per day between Okehampton & Exeter using class 31's mk2's & DBSO's

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is this one still dragging on ? they have been trying to get started for what seems like years.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
But they are running! Just not in Cornwall! Here: http://www.rmslocotec.com/#

They (or their group) operate the Weardale Railway which runs both a passenger & heritage service between Bishop Auckland and Stanhope (where the Company's Head Office is located) and also a freight service carrying daily coal trains from Stanhope and via Bishop Auckland to Drax Power Station on the NR mainline.
They also operate the Meldon Branch of the Dartmoor Railway between Meldon Quarry and via Coleford Jn. to destinations on the NR mainline.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They also have a semi-regular freight flow carrying scrap between Stockton and Cardiff using class 56s.

Chris125

Established Member
They've been a FOC for a while now, the scrap trains appear to be their only regular-ish traffic but they've operated a number of occasional or one-off moves and hired out their 31's for test train use - presmably this news relates to their wish to operate passenger services on the mainline as well.

Chris

theblackwatch

Established Member
DCR do quite a few moves of locos to/from preserved railways - earlier this month, the trip from Barrow Hill to Sheringham with 20096+20314 to collect 47596 and 55019 was a DCR one. The company is a subsidiary of British American Railway Services.

richw

Veteran Member
Isn't that the Cornish way? :D

I have family there, everything is "dreckly" which means "in a while".

Being cornish through and through your definition ain't bad, dreckly is an unspecified time which could be 1 sec time right up to an infinite time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

cuccir

Established Member
They (or their group) operate the Weardale Railway which runs both a passenger & heritage service between Bishop Auckland and Stanhope (where the Company's Head Office is located) and also a freight service carrying daily coal trains from Stanhope and via Bishop Auckland to Drax Power Station on the NR mainline.

The passenger service on the Weardale was cancelled in December 2011, due to lack of use unfortunately. I can't imagine any future for anything other than heritage and freight without proper access to Bishop Auckland station for the line, which would require a significant investment into the infrastructure.

headshot119

Established Member
The passenger service on the Weardale was cancelled in December 2011, due to lack of use unfortunately. I can't imagine any future for anything other than heritage and freight without proper access to Bishop Auckland station for the line, which would require a significant investment into the infrastructure.

Slightly incorrect, they canceled the community rail service in December 2011. However they are still running the heritage trains on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.