• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Devon Day Rangers GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Hi all,

Slight problem here.

We’re in Devon for the day and wanting to visit a few places. All these places inc. our original point either don’t have ticket offices or their ticket offices don’t open on a Sunday. Guards aren’t doing ticket checks and I tried to buy via the website but I’m not having any success (see screenshot), I’ve contacted GWR twitter support and they’re no help either.

I have physical money I want to give them but they have no way of providing what I need.

What do I do?

Cheers

Attachments

• 057D8000-35CC-4C24-93E5-CE1F4E669423.png
    057D8000-35CC-4C24-93E5-CE1F4E669423.png
    636 KB · Views: 72
  • 82404221-56F8-4C5C-9BEC-9D4CF309F905.png
    82404221-56F8-4C5C-9BEC-9D4CF309F905.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 69
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

Maybe go and find the guard and explain your cicumstances (Social distancing & face covering where appropriate of course), see what they suggest. Most guards on the train don't usually mind a polite knock on their cab door or an approach at the platform.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi all,

Slight problem here.

We’re in Devon for the day and wanting to visit a few places. All these places inc. our original point either don’t have ticket offices or their ticket offices don’t open on a Sunday. Guards aren’t doing ticket checks and I tried to buy via the website but I’m not having any success (see screenshot), I’ve contacted GWR twitter support and they’re no help either.

I have physical money I want to give them but they have no way of providing what I need.

What do I do?

Cheers
You should buy the rover at the first available opportunity. If it's not possible to buy it before boarding due to the ticket machine not offering it, and the ticket office not being open, you should board the train and seek to pay at the first available opportunity.

There is no obligation on you to actively approach the guard, either on the train or on the platform to request to buy the ticket. Any such approach would likely be fruitless in any case - as most guards have had their ticket machines withdrawn to prevent them from undertaking revenue duties.

If no one comes through the train offering to sell tickets you should buy your ticket at your interchange or destination station, if facilities exist there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some TOCs are now starting to sell tickets on board, but I am unsure if GWR are among those operators.

If GWR offer no facility for you to pay, you are not doing anything wrong, simply be prepared to pay at the first opportunity that presents itself.

Hope you enjoy your time in Devon :)

_toommm_

Established Member
The GWR and TPE app do this regularly - I’ve never been able to get the GWR app to work, and only fairly recently the TPE app and website.

Try on another browser such as Chrome, or try at home on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.