• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT advise TOCs that full timetable is to be restored on 6 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That is shoddy. Glasgow is a mini South London when it comes to all those circular routes out of Central.

Exactly. The last trains out to the suburbs are all just before 8pm, with the exception of Ayr, East Kilbride and Lanark who have their last trains about 10pm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter0124

Established Member
Exactly. The last trains out to the suburbs are all just before 8pm, with the exception of Ayr, East Kilbride and Lanark who have their last trains about 10pm.
There is also the fact that the Argyle Line via Carmyle services get a 21:27 and a 21:57 last trains, whilst the trains via Hamilton last trains are at 20:36 and 20:46. Surely the demand isnt higher for the via Carmyle stations than the via Hamilton stations which most of the Hamilton Circle stations are 5x busier!

Also the via Carmyle train gets an earlier first arrival into Central (06:31) than via Hamilton (06:49). Does anyone know why the Carmyle/Whifflet line gets earlier/later services?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Scotrail have no plans to change their timetable? They better get plans soon cause in mid to late August I may well need to use them fairly often and really don't want to deal with THAT evening E&G service (and the stupid Glasgow-Perth day service).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Out of all TOC’s, Scotrail have handled this the worst out of any other TOC.

- Ending services early without a real reason

- When the shops open, they will still actively encourage people to use other methods which simply isn’t viable for many

- Telling people to social distance, but not bothering to indicate what seats can’t be used

route101

Established Member
Yeah. I really have no clue why services die out after 8pm here. Considering other TOC's can run to their near normal last train times, Scotrail running to 8pm on the majority of routes is an issue.

Some stations end up with lengthy 2 hour gaps at that time in the evening. For example out of Glasgow Central High Level there are only 2 or 3 trains departing between 21:00 and 22:00.

21:05 XC to Edinburgh
21:17 SR to Lanark

XC are back at Glasgow then. I suppose with no bars and shops open , services very quiet , but surley you would want service for key workers till end of day.

route101

Established Member

- When the shops open, they will still actively encourage people to use other methods which simply isn’t viable for many

- Telling people to social distance, but not bothering to indicate what seats can’t be used

I find it strange they dont publish timetables for routes, they did for intial lockdown timetable!

takno

Established Member

I doubt it's down to ScotRail so much as the government telling them what services to run and paying them to do it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Perhaps someone can tell us, is there any aspiration from Northern to run anything approaching a useable timetable in the near future west of Skipton ?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I see northern are still advertising “essential travel only” on their website, I thought this was to stop today.

LowLevel

Established Member
I see northern are still advertising “essential travel only” on their website, I thought this was to stop today.

My understanding is though there is a softening of the internal guidance ministers are having a few days observation of what is happening post 4th July changes before making a final decision on properly reopening the network.

We are now working on 40-50% capacity on our TOC as of today. However owing to only having limited rolling stock etc available a number of routes are still on a reduced service to allow busier trains to be strengthened.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Northern have definitely toned down their messages on Twitter this morning, and the "essential" travel stuff has quietly been dropped on the NRE app as well. So I guess they are now engaging in a social media climb down off the high horse.

Class195

Northern have definitely toned down their messages on Twitter this morning, and the "essential" travel stuff has quietly been dropped on the NRE app as well. So I guess they are now engaging in a social media climb down off the high horse.

As I posted in the Covid19 discussion topic, I messaged Northern on Facebook this morning and got a reply that indicates non-essential travel is now allowed.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It would appear so though they still haven't updated their website!

Not the front page, but follow that link through and you get this:

As a result of the continuing impact of COVID-19 we are running an amended temporary timetable, in line with the rest of the rail industry. You can find full details of this timetable here.

Though we continue to run services, the Government is advising that you should consider all forms of transport when planning a journey.

If you do choose to travel by train, please travel safe. You must wear a face covering on board the train (unless a medical condition or disability prevents you), try to avoid busy periods varying your usual travel times to prevent crowding and check the times of your journey before you travel.

Subtle, and not clear from the home page, but they are quietly backing off, finally!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As I posted in the Covid19 discussion topic, I messaged Northern on Facebook this morning and got a reply that indicates non-essential travel is now allowed.
It's been allowed for many weeks already.

Back on topic, does anyone have any updates regarding the timetable changes?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I can confirm Northern have officially dropped the message. I asked them whether or not I could use their services for leisure and they said:

Hi there. Non-essential travel is aloud, but we do advise only travelling by rail if it is your only option, in line with the Government guidance. If you do have to travel you must wear a face covering on the train (unless a medical condition prevents you) and try to avoid busy periods

Apart from the spelling mistake, this is good to see

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My understanding is though there is a softening of the internal guidance ministers are having a few days observation of what is happening post 4th July changes before making a final decision on properly reopening the network.

We are now working on 40-50% capacity on our TOC as of today. However owing to only having limited rolling stock etc available a number of routes are still on a reduced service to allow busier trains to be strengthened.

Out of interest, how far are Northern going in bringing back their stored pacers to address this ? Are there still 144's at Kieghley that could be used.

MikeWM

Established Member
GA's ticket machines on Saturday were still showing a message saying 'only travel if ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL'.

I've been ignoring that for the past six weeks or so, of course :)

DB

I can confirm Northern have officially dropped the message. I asked them whether or not I could use their services for leisure and they said:

Apart from the spelling mistake, this is good to see

Still not strictly in line with the guidance, though! I'm referring to this bit:
we do advise only travelling by rail if it is your only option, in line with the Government guidance

The government guidance actually says to consider other options - it doesn't say that you should only be travelling by rail if it's the only option.

Fisherman80

Perhaps someone can tell us, is there any aspiration from Northern to run anything approaching a useable timetable in the near future west of Skipton ?
I was thinking that myself. I used the Leeds to Morecambe services quite regularly until the outbreak of Covid. I noted that they seemed to have a healthy amount of passengers. The only train which I travelled on which was always empty was the 2000 from Skipton!
As for the Settle to Carlisle,that too is a joke.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was thinking that myself. I used the Leeds to Morecambe services quite regularly until the outbreak of Covid. I noted that they seemed to have a healthy amount of passengers. The only train which I travelled on which was always empty was the 2000 from Skipton!
As for the Settle to Carlisle,that too is a joke.

Yes, I was a regular user of the line and always found the trains busy (except for the 20:30 and 21:30 out of Lancaster). I have friends in the area and the lack of the Little North Western in any meaningful form, is getting to be a real nuisance.

josla1

Forgive me if this has been covered already but National rail app is showing MIA to NCL as of next week direct with TPE. Does this still stand if anyone has any info?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Forgive me if this has been covered already but National rail app is showing MIA to NCL as of next week direct with TPE. Does this still stand if anyone has any info?
Don't think that is going to be running! RealTimeTrains shows that MIA-NCL services that are currently in the timetable for next week etc. are part of the long term, base timetable. They aren't there when you search for this week, where the base timetable is overwritten (and in this case the MIA-NCL services removed) by the short term (Covid) timetable.

It's more than a bit ridiculous that they can't simply propagate the current reduced timetable forward as far as the timetable is made publicly available (after all, things are only going to get better from here - I hope).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As most operators are now (from today 6th July) either running a full timetable, or at least adequate services, the forum moderating team have decided to close this thread.

If anyone wants to discuss a specific TOC they are welcome to start a new thread. A new thread specifically for Northern can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.