• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT to announce revised electrification dates in autumn

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I've noticed Tony Miles (Modern Railways) has posted on a couple of posts on wnxx about DfT currently talking to Network Rail about revised electrification completion dates and it seems the 'paused' schemes will be given new completion dates which will be announced in the autumn.

However, it now looks like North West electrification will also get revised completion dates and the remaining work will be done by a new contractor:

Rail Technology Magazine said:
Balfour Beatty and Network Rail have agreed that the company will not continue its work on the North West Electrification project, as part of a proposed alliance.

In Balfour Beatty’s half-yearly results announced yesterday, it said: “In the first half [of 2015], phase 2 of the North West electrification project reached practical completion. However following a review of future schemes in the North West, it was concluded that the proposed alliance was unlikely to meet its stated objectives of delivering the scope of the work on time and to budget. In July, it was agreed with Network Rail that Balfour Beatty would not continue with the alliance framework for phases 3-7.”

It originally won the phase 2 (Liverpool to Newton-le-Willows) contract in October 2012, having previously worked on phase 1 (Newton-le-Willows to Castlefield Junction).

According to previous reports, phase 3 is Preston to Blackpool North, phase 4 is Manchester to Preston, phase 5 is Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge and Ashburys West Junction to Philips Park West Junction / Baguley Fold Junction, as well as Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, and phase 6 is assumed to be Wigan to Bolton. These phasings were announced before the ‘pause’ of TransPennine electrification – as RTM reported earlier this week, all of Network Rail’s electrification programmes, including in the north west, are under review.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...eatty-dropped-from-north-west-electrification

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
The fact that BB is pulling out of NW electrification has been under discussion for some weeks in the Blackpool-Manchester thread.

Phase 6 is actually Oxenholme to Windermere. Lostock Junction (west of Bolton) to Wigan is phase 7.

Stats

I've noticed Tony Miles (Modern Railways) has posted on a couple of posts on wnxx about DfT currently talking to Network Rail about revised electrification completion dates and it seems the 'paused' schemes will be given new completion dates which will be announced in the autumn.
I'm surprised this is news to you. The Secretary of State announced this to parliament in June when he announced the pausing of the projects.

In case you missed it, here it is
The current Chairman, Mr Richard Parry-Jones, is stepping down. His replacement will be the current transport commissioner in London, Sir Peter Hendy, someone of huge experience who helped to keep London moving during the Olympics. I am asking him to develop proposals, by autumn, for how the rail upgrade programme will be carried out.

Nigel Mills (Amber Valley) (Con): My constituents will also be disappointed by the pause in the electrification of the midland main line. They want to know whether it is a pause or a cancellation, so will the Secretary of State say when he might expect that electrification to happen? Is it by 2025 or might it be a bit earlier than that?

Mr McLoughlin: If my hon. Friend will allow me, I will allow Sir Peter to do his report before I start saying what will be in it. I usually find that that is the best course of action on these occasions, rather than anticipating what will be in a report that I have just commissioned before I have received it.

Class 170101

Established Member
What is that Roger Ford keeps saying
Never trust a forecast based on the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.