• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DH Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on getting both loco hauled sets in, and clearing the line via Berney Arms, on my stalker 156

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I am jealous of both the 37 and the 68 haulage! Over a year since my last 37 haulage and almost 3 months since my last 68 haulage too, understandably I have withdrawal symptoms!

AJM580

Glad you enjoyed your trip to my neck of the woods. The best way to get to the city centre is to hop on a bus - all the buses drop off in Castle Meadow and from there its a short walk to the Bell Hotel (good for food). Your Anglia Plus rover is valid on the bus as well.
Looking forward to day three

Dhassell

Anglia Adventure Part 3 29/7/16

So... Part 3 of 3 of my Anglian Adventure and onto day 2 of 2! This day would mainly include
just going home! As most of the Anglian Bashing I had wanted to do had finished!
One thing I wanted to do before I go home is have one more go on the class 68's!

156419 Norwich 29.7.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

So, Alarm wakes me up promptly at 6am after a quick wash and get dressed I head to the station to see if i can get
any unit cops in the morning peak and at 6:30 I spent about half hour on the station seeing what I could get!
Unfortunalty not alot decided to turn up so at 07:15 I headed back for Breakfast at the Hotel!

After Breakfast, It was back to the station to decide what to do, I never knew it could be so quiet. Hardly any trains
heading in our out along the Wherry Lines. I decided to wait for the 68's to come back and to ride them out to Brundall.
They arrive about 40 minutes before departure at 0930. At 1005 they are ready to depart shortly after the 37 Short Set have
arrived. We set off with little to no action from the engine and after a stop at Brundall Gardens I alight at Brundall to
take a photo/video of the 37 set before getting 153322 and 153309 on the 10:22 back to Norwich.

68019 Norwich 29.7.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

I didn't really want to get back home today late as I was shattered. So I got on the 1100 Service back towards London. 90014
hauling the train this morning. It felt almost the same on the way out, Ipswich station an hour later. Ooooh 70017 in the Freightliner
yard! One of my Final 70's for sight! The rest of the journey to London was the same as the way out, Unit after Unit.
I fetch a Bacon Roll and a Tea from the buffet (Which is much greater value than GWR's equivelent!)

I arrive at Liverpool Street at 12:55. An Uneventful journey! I make my way to the Circle Line platform and await at train.
a Metropolitan S8 Stock is stood on the platform for atleast 10 minutes before leaving! But luckily our train rolls in straight
behind and I Depart Liverpool Street at 13:30. I arrive at Paddington at 13:45 and pick up a Large Mcdonalds Milkshake before boarding the
1400 train towards Bristol Temple Meads. A Couple of Interesting Moves where spotted between Paddington and Reading.
387131 Is seen in North Pole Depot and straight after Slough I glance out the window and Spot a Pair of 800's!!
800001 and 800002 Working from Old Dalby to North Pole, Nice to see some bonus units.

I arrive into Bristol ontime at 15:39 before jumping on 150202 the 15:53 Bristol to Weston Train! It was rammed!
Oh well. At least the rest of the journey was quiet.

The End!

I hope you have all enjoyed reading these last couple of Posts and I hope to get fully back into Trip Reports soon!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Next Trip Report Now Expected to be posted on Friday 12th August! Thanks :) :p

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Great stuff, enjoyed the read and photos! Anglia is great for locos at the moment :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member
Fabulous stuff.
Fingers crossed the 68s are still working when 45135 and I head down there next month.

Dhassell

Fabulous stuff.
Fingers crossed the 68s are still working when 45135 and I head down there next month.

68's are mean't to run till end of september I believe, I have read that they might be staying on into Leaf-Fall System till December so you should be ok! ;):p

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ooh good news, that's me now confirmed at looking for Advances to Norwich for October then! 37s staying too?
If you fancy some company then I might be able to come along. I don't know if my folks will be OK with it but I could ask them. If you're alright with me coming along then don't book advances just yet as I can get a family and friends discount. The F&F discount would make your tickets below the child price if we split them 50/50 too.

Last edited:

Ooh good news, that's me now confirmed at looking for Advances to Norwich for October then! 37s staying too?

As far as I'm aware yes. 68s were due to finish reasonably soon but they were extended along with the 37s as leaf fall cover.

As an aside 68016/023 will be off shortly for exams (well two of them anyway, think its those two)
Also 37405 is due a heavy exam and 422 is due bodywork repairs. 37419 has replaced the former as booked, expect something with incorrect numbering to replace...

Kristofferson

You probably know this Tech/FQ, but from what I've seen, you should be able to get cheap LST-NRW advances right up to the day before travel if you're ever in the area and fancy a last minute bash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhassell

Once again I have messed up and not posted for months! Anyway hopefully back into the swing of things!
Nearly a month ago I had another go up to North Wales clearing Arriva, Northern and MerseyRail Units.

26/8/2016 Up to North Wales on the WAG.

After not being on a train for about a month, It was finally time for another Trip! But it wasn't at 6am and
I was perfectly Awake! (For Once) so I boarded the 15:10 Weston to Bristol Temple Meads Train today formed of
158763! Great way to start off the week! My final GWR 158 for haulage.
After alighting at Bristol TM I have approximately 10 minutes to cross the platforms where
158959 is waiting to take me on to Newport! I arrive at Newport at 16:29, That gives me an our to do what I need to do.
I walk over the footbridge to the cafe outside the barriers... suprise suprise its shut... I walk into the high-street to find something
to eat, I end up in Greggs getting a sausage roll... Not what I was expecting but it will do!

I walk back to the station at around 1700 just in time to see 60092 passing though the platforms.
Today my booked seats where in Coach A on the 1731 ATW Service to Holyhead, Yes from the Title of the post you should know what
Train that is! at 17:42 Approximatly 10 minutes late 67013 rolls into the station, Unfortunatly I had the same loco in May!
I spend around 10 minutes on departure searching up and down the train for my seats only to find out
the train didn't have reversations and it was rammed! Nicely enough a man offered me a seat on
his table and we had a good chat until he got off at Abergavney! At Hereford I decide its time for an
evening meal! I head to the buffet and order the last Chicken Curry they had!
It took about 10 minutes for it to cook and was ready to eat by Leominster!
It was piping hot and tasted gorgeous! Was the best curry I ever had and if it wasn't the last one
I might have gone and ordered another! At 20:52 The train rolls into Llandudno Junction where its a quick run over the platform
to Catch the 20:58 into Llandudno Town, this evening formed of 175008 my first Arriva unit for Haulage on this trip and that brings day one to an End! :p

67013 Llandudno Junction 26.8.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

Part 2 Will be Coming soon with a Trip on the MerseyRail Network to Liverpool!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That chicken curry sounds excellent! Congrats on clearing your GWR 158s for haulage too - quite an impressive task and something I'm a long way off from doing. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Dhassell

That chicken curry sounds excellent!
It was ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30/8/16 Liverpool MerseyBash.

Day 2 of the Bashing along the North Wales Coast! I had spent the Bank Holiday
weekend relaxing in Llandudno and Decide it was time for a trip! As Usual after breakfast
I boarded the 0944 from Lladudno to Chester! Formed of 175003 Another winner! After the same one hour of bordem
I arrive into Chester 3L! I run over to the ticket office to buy my MerseyDay Ticket but after the lady struggles to find the ticket I miss the
1101 and find myself on the 1116 formed of 507031 my first Mersey Winner of the day!

507031 Chester 30.8.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

I alight 507031 an Hour Later at Liverpool James St where I walk down to the River and have a look around the Museums with Family!
At 14:30 I decide its time to leave the family and do some more bashing! I walk back up to Liverpool James St and Catch 507032 round to Liverpool Lime St
before finding a Northern Unit to Liverpool South Pway! 156491 is working the 14:55 towards South Pway my first Class 156 for Haulage. I have a 30 minute wait for the next service back
into Lime St, this is formed of 156468!

156468 Liverpool South Pway 30.8.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

Once back at Lime Street, It was a walk back down to the MerseyRail Lines where 508126 takes me around the bend to Liverpool Central, from there
I catch the 1605 towards Sandhills formed of 508125. I spend around half an hour at Sandhills before catching the 16:33 to Kirkdale to see what I could clear out the Depot!
508114 formed the service to Kirkdale and disappontingly there was only 2 units in the depot!
At 16:43 I boarded 508141 back to Sandhills where I alighted and then got on the next train back into
Liverpool Central, This time it was Double 507's! (507017 & 507013). After some time at Lime St clearing Nothern Units for
Sight, I walk down to the MerseyRail platforms one last time for 507011 back to Chester!
When we got to Chester, I awaited 60085 to pass on the Log Train before joining the 1855 back to Llandudno formed of 175003 and 175002.
175003 detached at the Junction and left 175002 to continue to Llandudno Town!

508141 Kirkdale 30.8.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
60085 Chester 30.8.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

And that Concludes the Day! Stay tuned for Trip Report 3 from this trip!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good time was had in Merseyside! The Colas donuts look hellfire too.

Dhassell

1/9/16

First Trip of September, I leave the base at 0910 and Arrive at the station at 0930. I pick up my Return to Chester
as not yet do I know where I am going! I once again board the 0944 to Chester this morning formed of 175005!
I Decided I was going to buy a Cheshire Ranger and after 20 minutes the guard finally decided he knew how to sell it!
The train arrived into Chester at 10:53 5 late, I noticed the 10:55 to Crewe hadn't left yet so I ran over to P1 to only just jump on 175007
towards Crewe! Had never had a Cl175 on the Crewe Shuttles and Never Knew they ran them! Approaching Crewe I managed to pick up 5 or 6 90's for sight
and I pull into Crewe at 11:17 Just to see the 11:15 to Manchester Piccadilly Leave! I wanted to head to Manchester anyway So I waited for the next train in
Which was the 1130 formed of 175011! I arrive into Manchester 40 minutes later. I decide to skip Piccadilly for a bit and take the long walk via the train lines
and Piccadilly Square to Manchester Victoria. I spend some time on Manchester Victoria before jumping on Double 142's (142051 and 142052) to Salford Crescent!

142051 + 142052 Salford Crescent 1.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

I Spend Half Hour Here before seeing 153301 pull in attached to 150274, I didn't think I would have a chance to get a Northern 153 for a while so I jumped on and took it back into Victoria.
I spend more time at Victoria Tram and Train spotting before walking slowly back to Piccadilly!
I spend 1 and a half hours at Piccadilly before catching the 17:50 back to Llandudno formed of 175002 and 175005! We are held at the Junction just before
the WCML for two Pendos to pass before pulling into Warrington BQ, Arpley Yard was almost empty with 2 66's and a 90 as well as the local shunter!
The Train pulls into Llandudno Junction where 175005 detaches and continues on its way to Holyhead where 175002 takes me into Llandudno!

FL 66534 Manchester Piccadilly 1.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
350407 Manchester Piccadilly 1.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
66543 FL Manchester Piccadilly 1.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

This was the final semi-major bash of the Holiday and Soon I would be heading home! Not going to make a trip report of that as it was boring as Crp! From the two days I had spent bashing I was quite happy with the Mersey and Northern Units I Had cleared off and will gladly want to come back soon! :p

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good time but you should have got the train and hour sooner from Mancc (the 16:50) as it's a 67.

Dhassell

Sounds like a good time but you should have got the train and hour sooner from Mancc (the 16:50) as it's a 67.

Got 67015 on the Friday Instead :)
Early in the day I saw the set as a subbed 150 + 158 combo When I got to Piccadilly and it rolled up it was a shock :roll::lol:

Dhassell

So, I after a 0515 wakeup call I make my way down to the station to pick up my tickets and board the
0624 Weston to London Paddington today formed of 43029 and 43154.
This was first time I have picked this train since May! Half hour later was we pass through Yatton the
sun starts to rise and the whole train is treated to see a lovely sunrise. It all starts picking up at Didcot where
Thames Turbos start passing and a few odd freights (70810). Past slough, I prepare for the slog of yards and sidings before Paddington.
Firstly, Southall! Princess Elizabeth is on show as well as a 57 down the back, shortly followed by Acton Yard, plenty of 59's and 66's in there!
Next up two in one, Old Oak, Which was empty and the IEP Depot at North Pole! I was able to list off 387130/131 and 134, there was one more in the back
but I was unable to get the number!

After alighting at Paddington I walk down to the Bakerloo line platforms for 3239, 3339 and 3554 to take me
two stops to Marylebone! After collecting which units I could see, I walk outside to catch route 205 (Today an Enviro 400H)
to Euston. I head over to platform 15 to get the sleeper locos and stock for sight, 90047 on the buffers with 92014 on ECS duties!
90047 Euston 24.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

At 09:44 the train leaves for Willesden and I walk back over to the London Overground platforms for 378219 to take me to Willesden Junction!
I was pleasantly surprised to see Willesden Depot filled to the brim with 172/0's all required by me for sight!
I quickly run over the to Road bridge to see what Class 66's could be cleared off (0 where there!) before
jumping on the 1131 towards West Brompton, 378207 was working this today.
At West Brompton it was a quick connection onto the District Line with winners 21519 + 21520 taking me on the quick hop to Earls Court before
making another Quick jump onto the Piccadilly line with 200 taking me to Acton Town! From here I walk over to the Acton Museum Depot
before having a look around. I was suprised to see 20142 in its new paint job parked in the back yard, Was a pain to photograph
though with all the regulars getting as close as they could!

London Transport 20142 Acton Museum Depot 24.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

After I was done with the Museum Depot I walked back to Acton Town before catching the 12:15 towards London Kings Cross formed of Tube stock 112.
I spend some time looking for 365's/HST's and 91's before heading over to St Pancras for a bit to clear East Midlands and Southeasterns and not to forget Eurostars for sight!

395022 London St Pancras 24.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

After checking Class 700 diagrams before I left I made my way down to the Thameslink platforms for await the 1424 to East Croydon, I see the train waiting
just outside the platforms. I was 100% sure it was a 700 as there was a light on the top middle!
The train moves forward into the platform and I can't quite make out what it is!
To my disappointment it is soon clear that it isn't a Class 700 and is 377508 and 377521...
The train slowly makes its way around the backstreets of East London before stopping at Every signal between
Crystal Palace and Norwood Junction for at least 2 minutes at a time! We come to a stop at Norwood Junction where the driver tells us
there is a broken down freight train at East Croydon and we where expecting another 20 minute delay! Luckily for us we pull into
East Croydon 26 minutes late with no sign of any broken down freight train!

455822 East Croydon 24.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

I spent some time on East Croydon waiting for Class 700's and Class 387's to pass by but not one did!
I started getting a strange feeling something wasn't right! I check Southerns website and sure enough there is Engineering works
Between Balham and East Croydon! No wonder it seemed so quiet! I Decide to get a train back to Clapham, 377473 + 377135 rolls in with the 15:48 to Clapham Junction,
Once we set off we straight away headed towards Norwood Junction before following the line back towards Crystal Palace, I was quite pleased to see we where heading down the line through Streatham as this was required until now!
We arrive at Clapham 25 minutes later before spending just under an hour here before catching the 17:06 formed of 377147 to London Victoria!
From here I found a route 436 bus towards Paddington before once again catching the 1832 home this Evening formed of 43009 + 43194!
And that Concludes the day!

159007 Clapham Junction 24.9.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.