• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DH Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhassell

Recently I have been reading some other trip reports and have enjoyed reading them! So I have decided to do some myself! :D Here we go then My first one! :P

The Midland Mover 23rd January 2016

An easy start to the day after a quick drive to the station and after picking up the Returns to New Street, I boarded the 0708 Weston-S-M to Bristol Temple Meads service today formed of two 153's (153380 & 153369 both of which needed!) The journey past by rather slowly and the arrival into Bristol was a welcoming sight. After a short 20 minute layover, Which was enough to get a bite to eat, It was time to board the train towards Birmingham which today was 220002 on the 08:00. This journey always seems to drag for me, Its just boring scenery, The longest part being between Cheltenham and Birmingham with a long 20 minute run from Barnt Green into New Street. It was soon after we arrived into New Street.

After arriving at New Street It was a quick walk over to Moor Street to Purchased a 'Network DayTripper Plus' (With the Plus ticket allows travel down to Leamington). The first train of the daytripper was 172332 on the 10:18 Towards Stourbridge. It seemed to have issues getting power when leaving Snow Hill. It took its time slowly creeping around the local stations before arriving into Stourbridge Junction, It was then a quick hop onboard 139002 towards the Town and back. The 139's are quite comfy but are quite bouncy when going up and down the 0.8 mile line.
139002 Stourbridge Junction 23.1.16 (2) by DSH Trains, on Flickr

Back at Stourbridge Junction it was time to return back into Moor Street. The 11:18 Back towards Birmingham was formed of 172216, At The Hawthrons I decided to alight and catch a tram into the new Bull Street Station, Tram 28 soon turned up a few minutes later. The tram now takes a rather interesting route down the back of Snow Hill. After miscalculating how close Bull Street was to New Street it was a quick dash to New Street to try and catch the 12:12 towards Walsall, This was formed of 170506 and 170517, This run was mostly to see what was in Bescot yard and there sure was quite alot! Two 97's where parked up on one side with a few 67's on the other with some 60's and a few 66's (Including two colas ones) Mixed in.
170517 Walsall 23.1.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

After a 10 Minute stop at Walsall it was time for the same set to depart back to Birmingham via Aston! We somehow managed to become around 3 Early on the outskirts of Birmingham which after waiting for numerous trains to pass allowed us back into New Street an Hour Later. It was then a Walk to Moor Street where it was time for a Mainline run behind a 68 on the 13:55 to Leamington Spa, the loco today would be 68013! After departing 2 minutes late, We made two stops at Soulihull and Warick Parkway before arriving into Leamington On time! After a bit of time at Leamington the train back to Moor Street was 168110 working the 15:25 towards Birmingham, Once again calling at Warick and Soulihull before arriving back at 15:54.

The plan then was to get some dinner and get the 16:42 back to Bristol, this soon changed when two Arriva 158's where awaiting to depart for Birmingham Intl. at 16:36 158830 and 828 slowly crawl (Must have been following a slow 350) towards Intl.
158828 Birmingham Intl. 23.1.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
After a 15 minute break there it was time to return back to New Street 350122 took that job working the 17:05. It was then time for the slow dragging journey back down the Lickey towards Bristol, The 17:42 was the train of choice with 221121 hauling. On Arrival into Bristol I was awaiting the normal 19:15 back to WSM after seeing there was only a 1929, after waiting at least 20 minutes I see 43146 arrive at the normal time of the HST towards WSM. Once on Platform 10 I see 150249 awaiting to work the Weston Service! So that was the only train for 35 minutes so it was the only option I had! It arrived back into Weston at 19:57 before returning to Bristol Empty.
221xxx BRI 23.1.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
End Of Trip Stats:

Mileage: 328Mi 76ch
Haulage Cops: 17
Sight Cops: 83

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome to the community of ever growing trip reporters!

I really enjoyed the read and it looks like you and I (and Nat67) crossed paths sometime yesterday. I was going to get on the 13:55 to Solihull but decided to get Bordesley out of the way instead so Nathan did that solo and got on just before it left. I was on 172217, which you should have passed just after leaving Moor Street.

Dhassell

Welcome to the community of ever growing trip reporters!

I really enjoyed the read and it looks like you and I (and Nat67) crossed paths sometime yesterday. I was going to get on the 13:55 to Solihull but decided to get Bordesley out of the way instead so Nathan did that solo and got on just before it left. I was on 172217, which you should have passed just after leaving Moor Street.

Haha! Yep! I remember passing 217 when leaving Mooor St!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
An enjoyable read, and may I add to what the Honourable Member for Leamington Spa has said and welcome you to the Ancient and Most Secret Order of Trip Reporters...

You had a 20 minute layover...? My very good sir/madam, 20 mins is far too long

Kristofferson

Great read, welcome! :) a good variety of stock there and some impressive stats... Maybe one day I'll have a crack at that 139 too. It's diesel right?

Established Member
May I add my welcome to the Institute of Trip Report Writers and Move Recorders.
:)

Looks like a good move, I look forward to reading about future ones.

Dhassell

Its been a few weeks but heres My Second Trip Report from today! Full Totals will be worked out in a few weeks!

Wessex Warrier 13/2/16

Winter seems to have finally hit! Woke up to a cold winters morning, Quickly packed a Bag and Off I went to the local station. There where engineering works this weekend between Bristol and Weston so a slow replacement bus to Bristol. First Bus 66940 Provided. A long windy trip along the A370 later and we arrived beneath Bristol. Never had to do this before, when alighting the bus, there was a passage way that looked like its only used for servicing and at the end of the corridors was a door that said 'Alarmed' and all day in Temple Meads there was an annoying ringing noise coming from that door! Anyway enough about doors!

After the Bus arriving 10 minutes early! The driver sure did seem to put his foot down! I managed to jump onto the 09:00 service to London as far as Swindon, Hauled by 43016 and 43036, After an hour waiting at Swindon and having a look around the town 153372 came to take me down the Melksham line!

153372 Swindon 13.2.16 by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

The plan was to go all the way down to Westbury but I soon realized that would mean a 40 minute wait on a dim station with nothing running! So i decided it was best to get off at Trowbridge and make a 2

minute connection over the footbridge where 153318 and 158954 where reading to work onto Cardiff, I alighted at Bristol TM. At that point I was't sure at all what to do! But I jumped onboard 221137 last minute to Bristol Parkway, There the only option was to go to Yate and back so that is what I did! 158766 arrived half empty and after a few minutes we arrived at Yate, Its a funny little station, The Up
platform one side of a big road bridge, the down the other! After crossing the road and getting a quick picture of 158766

158766 Yate 13.2.16 by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

150101 and 158952 show up on the 1311 back to Bristol Temple Meads where I alight and Await the 14:00 back to Swindon! This time 43172 'Harry Patch' and 43192 where the two power cars hauling the train.

43172 'Harry Patch' 13.2.16 by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

43192 Bristol TM 13.2.16 by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

On arriving into Swindon I see 43188 and 187 on platform 1, These two being apart for a few weeks with a old FGW HST powercar taking over 187's job. To be fair it wasn't as good as i assumed the trains interior would look like! Its quite dull and not really any colours inside the coach apart from Green on the headrests but I guess its a change!
GWR New HST Interior by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

Due to an Incident earlier at Paddington, I decide it isn't worth risking staying at Swindon incase I miss the bus im planning to get home! So I board the delayed 14:31 (Which departed at 15:00) towards Bristol Once again! The train was rammed! Luckily enough I was able to get a seat for myself, the train cleared out at Chippenham before filling up again at Bath for the final leg into Bristol. We arrived back into Bristol at 15:41, and at that point I had 50 minutes to wait. I looked on the National Rail App and saw there was a possible return trip to Filton to pass the time! On arriving I sprinted over to platform 9 where 150243 an 150266 went slowly towards Filton, Then I realized standing helpless on Filton P1 I was still looking at outwards trains and the next train back into Bristol wasn't for 20 minutes! I waited for the 16:09 which was formed of 158959 where a very Jolly guard personally welcomed me onboard! I was slightly worried I would miss the hourly direct bus back home! The Train luckily arrived Into Bristol 3 minutes early which allowed 6 minutes to reach the bus once again in the dark alley! First Bus 33416 was the homebound bus this time the driver taking his time!

Total Miles: 255Mi 02Ch!

alexf380

Established Member
A nice couple of reads there, certainly kept me engaged, so well done for your first two! Indeed, welcome to the club. Your membership pack and commemorative list of Tech's required locos is in the post! :lol::lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Nice read and photo's. The new GWR HST interior green colour reminds me of the interior of the old Midland Mainline HST's.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another great read. The problems at Paddington was a fatality at Slough, involving the 11:57 from Paddington to Bristol, one that I watched leave Padd.

Keith Jarrett

Excellent read there - sounds like you find quite a few of the "pretty" HST power cars on your travels. It certainly tempts me to do some GWR HST bashing sometime.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My extreme apologies for the delay in welcoming you to the trip reporters club! I somehow missed this thread at the time, and I've finally caught up.

Looks like you had some good trips so far, certainly had a good time on my local turf! I don't miss the days when I needed a lot of stuff up here mind :lol:

Oh yes, weekend engineering works, oh I don't miss those whatsoever, I'm glad I rarely get to go bashing at the weekend these days! Agreed on the boring drag from Bristol Parkway to Birmingham New Street, much more so between Cheltenham and Birmingham, glad it's not just me :lol:

I look forward to more from you in the coming months :D

Dhassell

For the first time this year the alarm was set for 5am and I hadn't been to London for almost two whole months! The first train of the day being 1A06 Weston to London Paddington today formed of 43097 and 43033, For once there was no engineering works slowing the train down so two and a bit hours later the train Arrived into Paddington. I hoped to see the sleeper on the ECS out of Kings Cross today so the first move of the day was on the Tube! After the walk around the back to the Hammersmith platforms (Saves changing at Edgware) S7 Stock 21442 arrives to take me to Kings Cross. 90047 was at Kings Cross when I arrived with 86401 on the other end, There was still an hour before it was due to go and the light loco to drag it back to depot had arrived a few hours late so I boarded the 09:22 Great Northern Service to Finsbury Park with 365517 being the EMU on offer. I arrive a few minutes later.

43296 Finsbury Park 20.2.16 by
DSH Trains, on Flickr

After watching a few trains pass including the HST's and 91's above, I noticed that the sleeper would pass down the back line and not be viewable. So I boarded the 09:47 to Harringay formed of 313026 & 313045, Unluckily for me the sleeper had already left Kings Cross early and it passed through Finsbury Seconds after I left! So as I left the train at Harringay I turn around to see 86401 coming around the bend only managing to get a shot of the rear loco 90047!

90047 Harringay 20.2.1.6 by
DSH Trains, on Flickr

I knew it was going to reverse at Hornsey and pass back through so I crossed over platforms and awaited its return at about 10:15! unluckily the fence was too high to see what I was taking a picture of so it was a quite hard to get anything none of them any good! After a few more trains had passed the 10:21 to Moorgate arrived formed of 313057! Then A Tube 21342 to Liverpool St. I already knew there was engineering works at Liverpool St and nothing was heading east but there was still quite a few Stanstead Express Trains in the platform! I then caught a E400 from Liverpool St to London Bridge, 9464 Abellio. There wasn't many trains view able so I boarded 11:24 to Lewisham formed of 466016 and 465014. A few freights passed and more Southeasterns before it was time to catch the 12:30 DLR formed of 118, 126 and 104 towards Canary Wharf (Front Seat as well!)
DLR 126 Lewisham 20.2.16 by
DSH Trains, on Flickr

Where I would have a break and get something to eat! after an hour I boarded 13:27 to Poplar formed of 54 and 37! There I caught the 13:42 from Poplar to Limehouse formed of 24 and 01! then after a run over to the C2C platforms I boarded the delayed 13:45 from Limehouse to Barking, Formed of 357018, Some time passed and I then caught 14:26 Barking to Westham formed of D78 Stock 7018. at 14:34 357210 and 357038 came in to West Ham to take Me back to Limehouse where I reconnected with the DLR at 14:46 where 154, 114 and 135 took me to Bank. then at 15:00 I boarded the Waterloo and City Line to Bank! 65505 was the train working there today! After a Bit of time at Waterloo and a Purchase at Ian Allen I got on route 59 from Waterloo to Euston, Plan was to go to Kings X but congestion at Russell Square made the bus 20 minutes late, Meaning it was quicker to get off at Euston and walk.
Class 395 STP 20.2.16 by

DSH Trains, on Flickr

At 17:39 I boarded the tube once more 21341 worked back to Paddington and finally boarded the 18:30 back to Weston after some dinner! 43194 and 43015 on the final stint arriving 20 minutes late after congestion at Heathrow Jn and some drunk passengers at Bath!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a fun day in London, except not being able to get a photo of the 86!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good day indeed there, tons of variety across the board. Shame about missing the photo opportunity of the 86 but it's just how these things go sometimes sadly.

Dhassell

Its been a good while since the last So Here is a Little Trip Report from Yesterday!

Today was planned to be an Easy day, A Return Trip to Eastleigh/Southampton with Some Freight in the Middle.
It was a later start today as well. The 08:30 rolled into Weston 3 Late and in Reverse Formation, Which only I seemed to know...
43149 and 43190 the Powercars on the first part of the Journey. On Arrival Into Temple Meads, I had a Half hour wait for the 09:22 Formed of 150263 and 158957 to Romsey which set off
10 minutes late because a HST was let ahead! Whilst Everyone crowded into the rear 4 coaches the front one was almost empty until Bath!
158957 Interior by DSH Trains, on Flickr

The next place of Interst was Westbury, 59005 was awaiting departure with 66057 and 60039 In the yard. The train lost another 5 minutes by the time I reached Romsey
A quick dash over to the other platform and 158884 was ready to depart on the 1107 to Eastleigh Via Chandlers Ford. 66513, 66746 70807 and 47739 where in the stabling sidings closest to the
station and alot of people where awaiting something on the footbridge ahead, I soon found out a Spitfire was due over (80 Years Since the First Spitfire flight)
Unluckily for me 66504 came into P3 when the Spitfire approached which completey blocked my view! I then had a walk over to the Works where 59003 was visible as well as 58008 down the back of the Yard!
It was just a year ago that 59003 was sat in the paint sheds in Eastleigh which is where I saw it in its Old colours!
Hidden 59003 Eastleigh 28/3/15 by DSH Trains, on Flickr
59003 Eastleigh Works 5.3.16 by DSH Trains, on Flickr

A Few more hours passed and about 5 freight went through so for the second time today I board 158884 on the 14:21 Eastleigh to Southampton. Quick Bus ride to town and back and I boarded the 16:10 Southampton to Bristol formed of 158954, The service collided with the Rugby Finish at
Bath so the run into Bristol was slow. At Bristol I had a 45 minute wait due to Congestion at Southall and 43146 lead the 1818 Bristol TM to Weston arriving 15L!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Our trips always seem to be on the same dates! I was also out yesterday and got GWR HSTs in. It sounds like you had a good time out though!

Dhassell

Our trips always seem to be on the same dates! I was also out yesterday and got GWR HSTs in. It sounds like you had a good time out though!

Aha Yes! Normally get a trip in Every fortnight on a Saturday!

Dhassell

Sorry for the Break IN Trip Reports! Not really done anything the past month!
Hopefully some during the next 3 weeks!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I wondered if you were still active, it is a traditionally quiet time of year though. Q1 2016 has been busy for me in the most part, very unusually, and Q2 promises to be rather enjoyable too!

Dhassell

I wondered if you were still active, it is a traditionally quiet time of year though. Q1 2016 has been busy for me in the most part, very unusually, and Q2 promises to be rather enjoyable too!

Aha Yeah! Normally Q1 not alot goes on for me, 2,3,4 are more active

andyb2706

A great couple of reads there. No one ever seems to go to London and not have a good day and how spooky is it that almost a year later you see the same loco at the same place in the livery you were seeing it being painted into....it didn't take the a whole year to paint it did it. ;)

Oh, by the way stop winding Techniquest up about you're double 158884 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.