Diagramatic Mapping

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by dickdarlington, 24 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dickdarlington

dickdarlington Member

Didn't know where to put this (so Mod's please feel free to move wherever is applicable).

Like some others on here, I have a bit of a thing for maps and route mapping.

I've been working on my idea of a perfect rail based transit system in the North East. Currently it is in powerpoint (i have a map which I have added routes onto). It is pretty basic, and huge.

I was wondering, can anyone please recommend some software (free ideally) where I can recreate it in diagramatic form (with the potential to alter it easily). I know some people on here have done stuff like this in the past.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Again, my apols for just dumping this in here.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Evvy73

Evvy73 Member

At work I use MS Visio for diagrams. These are mainly technical diagrams and can get very large, but Visio copes well with them.

It can be a bit fiddly to start with, but if you persevere with it, you will find it is a very powerful tool.

Unfortunately as it is a Microsoft product, I doubt very much that it is available free, although you may be able to pick it up relatively cheaply via a company/college/student scheme?

4. dickdarlington

dickdarlington Member

Thanks

I have Visio. I've just never used it. Also, I didn't know how useful it would be in this guise. I'll give it a go.

Ta.

5. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If you send a friendly pm to Jordy, he may be able to assist. He has put together some excellent maps in the past, but the software he used escapes me!

6. stut

stut Established Member

Visio is pretty good. There's multiple ways of doing it, but if you choose the "Directional Map" template, you can use the "Metro Shapes" stencil to create a diagram really easily.

Let me see what I can do in a couple of minutes...

[edit]

Here we are. Simple, but easy to do. (Only on touchpad, too!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.