• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did class 91s ever operate at 140mph in passenger service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As i recall The WCML/ECML weekly operating notices all had warnings that 140mph testing was taking place...whether it did on the WCML when 89/91 was being type tested i have no idea, but all staff were told

140 on the WCML would be "interesting", though quite feasible on the longer straights I'd imagine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
No the Class 91s did not run at 140mph in public fare paying passenger service.

There was, of course, the record run London - Edinburgh run in 3h30 which had invited guests, and reached 140mph repeatedly, and then the conventional speed record run which reached 161mph down Stoke Bank.

This is what Nick Kingsley thinks stands in the way of 140mph operation, even with in-cab signalling:

TL;DR:

- It's unlikely 140mph would be accepted with the current number of level crossings.
- Timetabling 140mph services would be difficult on tracks shared by substantially slower services.
- It was unproven (as of 2012) whether in-cab signalling actually delivers benefits on existing railways as opposed to new-build.

Put simply, there is zero chance of 140mph on the ECML. It might be straight, but that’s about all
it has going for it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That was a test with a 91+5 Mk4+DVT, it was authorised to run at 140 wherever normal linespeed was 125.

In normal 125mph service, both BR and GNER had services timed at 3h59 with two intermediate stops. Timekeeping was variable as there was no recovery time in one direction and only one minute in the other.

3h 59mins of course once per day (1500 ex-Kings Cross in the late 90s) on a quieter network (e.g. pre-Operation Princess XC) and before things like TPWS and modern defensive driving were a thing.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
3h 59mins of course once per day (1500 ex-Kings Cross in the late 90s) on a quieter network (e.g. pre-Operation Princess XC) and before things like TPWS and modern defensive driving were a thing.

I’m reasonably sure that there was an up service timed at 3h59 in the late 90s / early 00s, timed to arrive KGX 0959 or thereabouts. Always late obviously.

TheBigD

Established Member
I’m reasonably sure that there was an up service timed at 3h59 in the late 90s / early 00s, timed to arrive KGX 0959 or thereabouts. Always late obviously.

There were 4 x 3hr59 services to begin with, 0600/1500 southbound, 0800/1500 northbound. 2 got dropped after only a year, 0800 northbound and 1500 southbound. The other 2 lasted a few years.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Twice per day under BR and one each way very much a peak time working, but I accept that it's more difficult today. You just have to look at the timekeeping on the 0540 ex-Edinburgh.

Nevertheless, LNER seems to reckon the Azumas and a revamped timetable can deliver a regular 4 hour timing.

Deepgreen

Established Member

There was, of course, the record run London - Edinburgh run in 3h30 which had invited guests, and reached 140mph repeatedly, and then the conventional speed record run which reached 161mph down Stoke Bank.

Put simply, there is zero chance of 140mph on the ECML. It might be straight, but that’s about all
it has going for it.
What was "conventional" about the 161mph run?

43 302

Established Member
As in it wasn’t on a high speed line, unlike the Eurostar that holds the ‘actual’ U.K. rail speed record.
I thought the difference wasn't what line it was on but the fact that the Class 91 was the fastest locomotive whereas the Eurostar was the fastest passenger train, or multiple unit.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

is the correct answer! And I agree that 140 mph running is not feasible ( not that my view is in any way expert! )

Status
Not open for further replies.