• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did my train just depart early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred43123

Haymarket is stop and go (ScotRail only into Edinburgh), just like some SWR stations on weekdays for Waterloo bound services only. However early the train is, it just stops and go. There's no need to wait for booked time due to the high frequency of trains calling at one destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
No. The TRUST timings etc are not really relevant here. It is the public time table that matters. In this case the Advertised departure time was 1947. The actual departure time was 1946. Not really acceptable.

All we know is the actual departure time was somewhere between 19:46:00 and 19:46:59. So given that the standard policy is to start dispatch 30 seconds before the advertised departure time, we cannot say for certain whether it departed early or not.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Haymarket is stop and go (ScotRail only into Edinburgh), just like some SWR stations on weekdays for Waterloo bound services only. However early the train is, it just stops and go. There's no need to wait for booked time due to the high frequency of trains calling at one destination.

I'm aware of the status of Haymarket. Although, at 00:18, the service is very infrequent (especially the advertised services).

robbeech

Established Member
Is it possible the station clock was inaccurate? At Batley, both platform clocks are currently 42" slow (compared to www.time.is). So if clocks can be slow, then it follows that they could equally be fast.
How on earth can this be ok?
I appreciate time pieces drift one way or another but surely there is a process in which case a clock is checked at an interval and adjusted as necessary. If you can’t keep a clock accurate to more than a few seconds either way you’re better off switching it off.

pt_mad

Established Member
All we know is the actual departure time was somewhere between 19:46:00 and 19:46:59. So given that the standard policy is to start dispatch 30 seconds before the advertised departure time, we cannot say for certain whether it departed early or not.

This. And presumably tocs wont investigate departures which time as departing a minute early. For the reasons stated above. There'd be thousands a day timing a minute early because dispatch finished 10 seconds sooner than usual. So it's doubtful they're going to try and find reasons why a departure times as leaving a minute early.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’ve seen stuff like this before and all with Northern, one with a 319 leaving Leyland 3E and worse during engineering works at Springs Junction, a diverted Ilkley to Leeds train left Shipley 7E! Thing is with those examples there was another train following shortly, so delay repay wouldn’t have been an issue.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This. And presumably tocs wont investigate departures which time as departing a minute early. For the reasons stated above. There'd be thousands a day timing a minute early because dispatch finished 10 seconds sooner than usual. So it's doubtful they're going to try and find reasons why a departure times as leaving a minute early.
Reports of early departure will be investigated, usually via Help Point calls, at least with ours, but it is easy for us as we have onboard GPS for the majority of the fleet. If not reported, there is no investigation however early.

I have both approved and rejected compensation claims before as a result. If dispatch were early and doors closed before the advertised dispatch times (T-30 mostly) then it is a payout every time.

pt_mad

Established Member
Reports of early departure will be investigated, usually via Help Point calls, at least with ours, but it is easy for us as we have onboard GPS for the majority of the fleet. If not reported, there is no investigation however early.

I have both approved and rejected compensation claims before as a result. If dispatch were early and doors closed before the advertised dispatch times (T-30 mostly) then it is a payout every time.

So they'd only know dispatch started early because the train moved off say 30 seconds before departure time on the GPS?

Because without the GPS there'd be no way of knowing whether the train moved off 5 seconds before departure time or 55 seconds before departure time.

And if GPS recorded it moving 10 seconds before departure time, that could just mean doors were already closed due to idle tine before dispatch commenced. So in effect dispatch is then just the quick process of hazard lights going out and closing the local door.

johntea

Established Member
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us here at Northern.

I am sorry to learn that your journey between Harrogate and Leeds was disrupted, and that you were caused a delay as a result. Please be assured that we are committed to operating a punctual train service on all of our routes, continually reviewing and monitoring the cause of all delays to our trains, to ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to reduce their recurrence wherever this is possible.

As per your request for compensation, for me to take any further action I will first have to see evidence that you had intended to travel by train. As such, if you could kindly forward the tickets by email or post (using the contact information provided below) I can take the appropriate action. However, please be aware that if you provide us with evidence electronically (either via email or through the Northern website) you will have to cut the tickets in half before taking the picture (unless of course it is a ticket that is still in use, such as a long-term season ticket).

Please provide the above information within 28 days of the dispatch of this correspondence, failure to do so will lead us to assume that you do not want to take your claim any further and it will thusly be closed.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding the materials and information requested above, but should you have any further queries or concerns in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

I give up with Northern and their excuse of 'customer service'! It wasn't a delay, I didn't directly ask for compensation and my overall journey was to Castleford not Leeds! OK you've got me, I was just admiring the trains at the station and was going to walk home...

Surprisingly I doubt very much I still have my season ticket from May 2nd, I might have done if it hadn't taken you a month and 2 weeks to ask for that information!

With the pre Arriva franchise, I genuinely would have just expected a small token gesture of a free Northern day pass or something by now.

pemma

Veteran Member
With the pre Arriva franchise, I genuinely would have just expected a small token gesture of a free Northern day pass or something by now.

When I wrote to Serco/Abellio Northern about overcrowding on a specific off-peak service I clarified it happened all the time and didn't relate to disruption to other services. Yet their response was to send me an email from a generic template about overcrowding as a result of earlier disruption!

northernchris

Established Member
When I wrote to Serco/Abellio Northern about overcrowding on a specific off-peak service I clarified it happened all the time and didn't relate to disruption to other services. Yet their response was to send me an email from a generic template about overcrowding as a result of earlier disruption!

Serco/Abellio were much more customer friendly than Arriva in that they often provided goodwill gestures for when things had gone wrong. Current Northern try to find every way possible to avoid paying out!

Status
Not open for further replies.