• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did steam locos travel to scrapyards under their own steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

They would often pass through Gloucester en-route to South Wales.
Usually a Hymek hauling 3 or 4 steam locomotives and a brake van.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Badzee

Well, back in those days locos sent for scrapping certainly had their motion removed in most cases. But there would be nothing wrong with keeping one loco fit for service to haul 2-3 to the scrappers. I'm sure this happened on many occasions, but in truth, I can't remember a single specific case.

And it's not clear what you are saying here, but the implication is that you took the scrappers into the yard with another locomotive, not condemned. Is that correct?

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Yes that's right the engine we used went off to do another duty, and then went back to our engine shed when finnished.

d9009alycidon

I was under the impression that many of the locomotives went to the scrapyard via locomotive "dumps", I think that Severn Tunnel Junction Yard was the staging point for locos bound for the South Wales Yard, and there were other dumps around the country like Carnforth and Bo'ness. In my local area the locomotives were dumped around Whifflet before being tripped to the various local yards.

Dunfanaghy Rd

The fireman who worked 30506 from Feltham Loco. to Staines (where it failed) on its trip to Barry hailing 2 other engines for scrap was reunited with it in June this year at 506's return to traffic. I've no idea what the other engines were, but they were dumped in a siding at Staines.
Pat

geoffk

Established Member
I believe that dead locos were not allowed to be dragged through the Severn Tunnel so SR locos heading for South Wales scrapyards had to go the long way round via Gloucester.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The fireman who worked 30506 from Feltham Loco. to Staines (where it failed) on its trip to Barry hailing 2 other engines for scrap was reunited with it in June this year at 506's return to traffic. I've no idea what the other engines were, but they were dumped in a siding at Staines.
Pat

According to Bradley (LSWR locomotives - The Urie Classes) they were three being hauled away by 30506 - 30499, 30841/7 and the date of dispatch from Feltham was 18/06/64. They had all been withdrawn on 05/01/64 (as per contemporary SLS Journals).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to Bradley (LSWR locomotives - The Urie Classes) they were three being hauled away by 30506 - 30499, 30841/7 and the date of dispatch from Feltham was 18/06/64. They had all been withdrawn on 05/01/64 (as per contemporary SLS Journals).
This is very interesting. I had a footplate ride on 30506 at the Mid Hants many years ago and always loved the loco. I hadn’t heard the above story before though.
Incidentally at the time 30499 was also at the line and was shoved right down the far end of the headshunt at Alresford amongst the bushes still looking exactly as it did in the scrapyard.

Gwenllian2001

This is very interesting. I had a footplate ride on 30506 at the Mid Hants many years ago and always loved the loco. I hadn’t heard the above story before though.
Incidentally at the time 30499 was also at the line and was shoved right down the far end of the headshunt at Alresford amongst the bushes still looking exactly as it did in the scrapyard.
I remember having a good look, with others, at 30506 in about 1971 in Barry and the consensus was, that with a little work, it would have been possible to steam it out of there.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember having a good look, with others, at 30506 in about 1971 in Barry and the consensus was, that with a little work, it would have been possible to steam it out of there.
The thought of that just made my knees tremble...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I believe that some (a small number) of the very early locos that went to Barry did so in steam, but I can't find any proof of this.

I think that it comes from a talk I've heard from Roger Hardingham, the author of "The Barry Story" and "The Barry List", but I'm not sure.

The_Train

Established Member
I hope the last mile of track and ballast was painted green for any locos having to make such a journey under their own steam

D2007wsm

Established Member
I hope the last mile of track and ballast was painted green for any locos having to make such a journey under their own steam

I'm afraid that you'll have to explain that one … !
The Green Mile as in the film where inmates on death row in an American prison, walk to there demise. The locos would be making there own way to there demise.

markindurham

There are quite a few photos around of locomotives under their own power making their way to Darlington for breaking up - the last T1 4-8-0 tank and some A5s spring to mind.

6Gman

Established Member
Until the very final years of steam loco operation, those withdrawn were normally broken up at the main works rather than sold to outside contractors. They travelled there just like other locos going there for periodic overhaul, unless they were unserviceable (and this happened with locos going for overhaul as well). The outside contractors generally did not have any facility or knowledge for dealing with a loco arriving in working order, such as emptying the boiler or tender, so locos sold to them would need some preparation by rail staff, and then be hauled.

I think this is the likeliest.

A condemned loco may have hauled others from, say, Salisbury MPD to Ebbw Junction MPD - but I very much doubt it would have entered the scrapyard in steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.