• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did you ever imagine Baldrick in a locomotive firebox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I love Tony Robinson, (the scruffy idiot sidekick in...
Timeteam.)

What a radio show (ISIHAC, for those that hadn't heard it before)
Hearing that always makes me laugh, even though he's great.
A

Calthrop

Established Member
I must have a nasty mind: on reading the thread title, my first thoughts were on the lines of -- with Baldrick and Blackadder's exploits often taking place in turbulent periods of history -- one advantage which steam locomotives have over more modern motive power, viz. a secondary use to which they can be put, is the painful disposing of one's captive enemies. Much used, I gather, by both sides in the Russian Civil War, 1917 -- 22. Was relieved to find that such stuff happening to poor Baldrick, is not featuring here !

The general picture is got, that the sheer nastiness and filthiness of steam-loco cleaning was one of the factors in steam traction's decline in the second half of the twentieth century: in the more affluent parts of the world, there were not enough people prepared to earn their living at such a horrible job -- even with the prospect of advancement in time, to footplate duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.