• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
It is illegal to enter the hull of RMS Titanic without permission from the secretary of state. Yet more of the 3000 crazy laws passed by Labour

And for all of you peoplefrom Newcastle.

It is considered offensive to use terms such as pet and other weird things you say ;)

You must greet people using their proper name. :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Liam said:

It is considered offensive to use terms such as pet and other weird things you say ;)
Only if you work for the Council.

Craig

Established Member
Well I don't work for the Council or live in the borough of Newcastle, so I don't have anything to worry about. Alreet pet? ;)

Jim

Established Member
Liam said:
It is illegal to enter the hull of RMS Titanic without permission from the secretary of state. Yet more of the 3000 crazy laws passed by Labour

You must greet people using their proper name. :roll:
Have you read the Metro this morning by chance ;)

H

HR2

Liam said:
And for all of you people from Newcastle.

It is considered offensive to use terms such as pet and other weird things you say ;) You must greet people using their proper name. :roll:

Haaway Bonny lad ;) I'll hev ye knaa that the Geordie folk talk proper and that. I think I'll coom alang and put you on a bogie and send ye doon the bank ower the waal and dunch. :blob2:

Bill EWS

Hi Liam,
You seem to be falling into the same trap as many, who see or hear news reports and don't look into them any further. The Titanic is a sea 'cemetary' and requires the same respect that any grave or cemetary deserves. Its hardly a policy to 'rubbish' any one government or Prime Minister about. You need to think for yourself instead of copy cat the news media, who won't let the truth spoil a good story, or yet find another round of Labour bashing.

Likewise, a minister was interviewed on radio and explained the ruling over using words such a 'love' and 'darlin' when meeting a female for the first time or whom you don't know and it is only respectfull that you think before you use a frase that may be offensive to that person. In times past these frases were virtually accepted but in recent years women have learned that in some cases the remarks are very 'male' dominated and do have under meanings. I have never used any of these frases to female staff in a shop or wherever as long as I can remember and have no need of a law to not do so, its simple respect for the other person. Is it the end of the World just because you have to think before using these frases!!! Or is it a case of 'no-one is going to tell me what to do'.

Sorry to be a bit critical but it annoys me how sheepish people have become and just believe every bit of news that comes out of the media without thinking for themselves.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

compsci

Actually its pretty common for (mainly older) Geordie ladies to address men as pet, love, darling etc, even if they've never met before. This is especially commmon among people such as market traders. This doesn't bother me at all.

The supposed offence of some people appears to originate from a misunderstanding of the Geordie language, which is like English with some different words. Just because someone calls you love (in Newcastle anyway) it doesn't mean that they want to get you into bed.

Bill EWS

Hi,
This isn't restricted to just Gordies, although I understand what you mean. Most areas of the U.K. have their local sayings, be it in English or in slang such as Gordie, Cockney or even in my own local accent 'Aberdonian', where we speak Doric, which is similar to Geordie, in that over the years it has become a mixture of Anglo-Scots, Gaidhlig, Celtic, and Norse and probaly some 'Roman' too, as it all goes back so far. They have been around so long that they are well and truely a language in their own right.

All that the latest rulings are saying is that we need to take care when using these expressions now that we are a more mixed community and it could be easy for others to take some offence. For example, in Aberdeen and Shire, we reffer to boys as 'Loons' and girls as 'Quines' and it is perfectly acceptable. The word 'Loon' has nothing to do with the Engish meaning of the word and the word Quine goes back to the old 'French' Alliance, and comes from the word 'Equine' (Filly). However if WE used those words to English people or other strangers to the area, I expect too that YOU may take some offence, not knowing the history of these commonly used expressions. So, there is a need to just have a little think before you use them to those who come from elsewhere. There is certainly no reason why others couldn't enjoy learning about our regional expressions. It only helps to bring people together.

My other comment in regard to spouting off, word for word, what you hear, see or read in the news media is a serioius point as all too often people will spend the rest of the day pushing these comments around until the truth gets lost and only the desired affect left of what the political colour of that particular news editor, newspaper or radio & TV station wanted. WE really do need to be careful of these 'sound bites' and just have a little think and read between the lines before we get all het up over a particlular issue. Partricularly so if its a phone-in programme where it's the presenter's job to stir people up enough so that they pick the phone up and pay them lots of money, while resolving nothing.

It really is getting more and more difficult to find out where the truth lies in our 24 hour a day sound-bites. And without the truth we are not able to discuss or resolve serious issues properly.

Cheers,

BillEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.