• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Didcot Power Station 2003 & 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

Sunday the 9th of February 2020 the Power station chimney was demolished and so removing the last semblance of Didcot Power station 'A' that began generating in 1973.

Here are some photos taken while working a coal train around the power station in 2003 and 2004 just to remember what they site looked like when in full flow. Didcot crew worked the first train back in 1973 and right up until closure. This was my very first digital camera. A Fujifilm Fine Pix.

Didcot Power Station 2003

Didcot Power Station 2004

Didcot Power station Sept 2004 Additional photos that were omitted from the two earlier sets.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks for these. I remember going round Didcot power station as a kid at one of the occasional public open days; the turbine hall was enormous, as were the cooling towers when you stood right next to them.

Of course they could be seen for miles, from a spot north of Oxford on the old road from Banbury, from near Thame, as well as from places you'd expect like up on the Ridgeway path or A34 on the top of the Berkshire Downs. For a Didcot resident, it was a sign you were getting near home, but no doubt the residents of local villages like Sutton Courtenay won't be missing them!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
A very well thought-out set of pics. Didcot Power Station, wow - it was one of those landmarks you thought would 'always be there' - although when I first went to Didcot, it wasn't (and there was still BR steam on the shed, with two Counties dumped in the yard!)

.. Of course they could be seen for miles, from a spot north of Oxford on the old road from Banbury, from near Thame, as well as from places you'd expect like up on the Ridgeway path or A34 on the top of the Berkshire Downs. For a Didcot resident, it was a sign you were getting near home, but no doubt the residents of local villages like Sutton Courtenay won't be missing them!

Indeed. And not just from 'on the flat'. I remember flying in from the USA some time in winter in the 1980s and England was covered in cloud. As I'm obsessed with knowing where I am, I was looking out for some break, and then I saw a plume of cloud rising through the blanket. It's a long time ago, but I'm guessing we were at around 12,000 - 15,000 feet*, and I thought: I bet that's Didcot Power Station under there. I can't prove it, of course, but sure enough, we landed at LHR about 15 mins later, and I think we went straight in (unusually) so it felt about right.
* Maybe any aircrew reading this would know what kind of height we would be at to land at LHR.

Status
Not open for further replies.