• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diesel fan's 40th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexylou

Hi It is my husband's 40th in January 2012. He is a real rail enthusiast he favourites are class 20 and class 50 diesels I am wondering if anybody would be able to suggest the dream gift experience for such a person would like to arrange something really special but need help getting into the mind of a diesel fan.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Alex :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Has he done a loco driving experience course before? If not, I'm sure the good people of this forum can suggest which UK railway preservation societies offer class 20 and class 50 driving experiences. I'm sure some railways also let the competent pupil haul a train too.

Not sure how viable this one is: once we've told you which railway societies have those diesels, you could contact their society secretary to find out whether your husband could perform a naming-ceremony on a class 20 or class 50 - with the twist that - just for that day - it's actually his name on the loco's nameplate...

northernrail

My dad repainted a model class 47 and got a Nameplate made and renamed it after my granddad for his birthday, maybe you could do something on a Class 20/50?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Thanks to a recent chat with a passenger in the Restaurant Car, I learnt that she had arranged a day visit to the NYMR for her husband's 40th, and that she was delighted with his enthusiastic enjoyment of the day. They'd made a few journeys up and down the line. I don't know about classes, but you'll surely learn what you need to know from their website.
http://www.nymr.co.uk/

I got the impression that she'd enjoyed the day just as much.
I'm arranging a similar birthday treat there later this year.

Matt G

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway do class 20 driving courses and the severn valley do class 50 ones.

lexylou

Thanks I love the idea of the naming ceremony how exactly would I go about this then....

scotsman

Established Member
Thanks I love the idea of the naming ceremony how exactly would I go about this then....

I haven't a clue and I've never, ever heard of one happening. That's not saying that they don't happen though

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita

If it were me, I'd start by googling 'class 50 preservation group society' and see what websites come back in the list.

It's a fair bit of clicking, emailing & phoning but you may get a better feel for 'can it be done' from the groups who own the locos, rather than from the railway premises they run on.

Status
Not open for further replies.