• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difference between "London Zones 1-6" and "Zone U1256 Londn"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Could someone please explain to me the difference between tickets with the destination "London Zones 1-6" and "Zone U1256 Londn"? I am led to believe that the former is a Travelcard and the latter is valid for one journey only, but I would like to double check.

Would anyone also be able to explain why the latter sometimes has an asterix between the "UXXX" and "Londn" - e.g. "Zone U12* Londn"?

Thank you. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Could someone please explain to me the difference between tickets with the destination "London Zones 1-6" and "Zone U1256 Londn"? I am led to believe that the former is a Travelcard and the latter is valid for one journey only, but I would like to double check.

Would anyone also be able to explain why the latter sometimes has an asterix between the "UXXX" and "Londn" - e.g. "Zone U12* Londn"?

Thank you. :)

You are correct, Uxx is a single or return journey on LU or DLR while Zones is a travelcard for the appropriate zones with a return to London from the origin. I'd guess that the * is to prevent someone adding another number, much the same as some stations have an * after them to prevent additions (like Loughborough becoming Loughborough Junction).

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Not very easy to do with the thermal-printed ticket stock in common use these days though...

All Line Rover

Established Member
Thanks. The confirmation is appreciated. :) The asterisk explanation also makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.