• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difference between these two posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawbster

Station Grade A – Customer Service and Train Dispatch role

STATION GRADE A (SHIFT & INTERNAL GENERAL PURPOSE RELIEF) Train Dispatch Role

Both posted by Scotrail although different stations (Perth and Glasgow), both same wage and job description, only thing different is the job title.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
One is a General Purpose Relief (GPR) which doesn't have a fixed roster, it's there to cover planned absences like annual leave and long term sickness, you may even cover multiple stations but without seeing the job description I couldn't comment in this specific example.
GPR used to get paid slightly more than the normal roles and even get expenses for fuel covered, but that may have been given up for a higher basic salary in the 20+ years of pay talks which have happened since the end of British Rail.

bawbster

Perth job decsription

Glasgow job description

One is a General Purpose Relief (GPR) which doesn't have a fixed roster, it's there to cover planned absences like annual leave and long term sickness, you may even cover multiple stations but without seeing the job description I couldn't comment in this specific example.
GPR used to get paid slightly more than the normal roles and even get expenses for fuel covered, but that may have been given up for a higher basic salary in the 20+ years of pay talks which have happened since the end of British Rail.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The Glasgow one says that you'll need to work at least 13 Sundays a year. I'd try to find out if they are outside the salaried hours or not, if not then you are probably looking at another grand or so on your top line. I wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow requires working at multiple stations across the city too, I'm not sure how many of the city's stations are staffed but I suspect that there might be a few which are manned by just one person so you might be on your own a bit more there than at Sterling.

bawbster

So had an interview for this (still waitimg on outcome) and because it's GPR it mostly cleaning (station/toilets etc) with very little train dispatching. Still, just over 24K for a cleaning job, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Charladenz

So had an interview for this (still waitimg on outcome) and because it's GPR it mostly cleaning (station/toilets etc) with very little train dispatching. Still, just over 24K for a cleaning job, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

@bawbster Was the role you had an interview for advertised as a GPR with Train Dispatch but you were told it was mostly cleaning etc? I'm so undecided on whether to submit my completed application for Inverness on this basis. It's a great stepping stone into the railway but I would go braindead with months of cleaning awaiting another internal vacancy to pop up.

Established Member
@bawbster Was the role you had an interview for advertised as a GPR with Train Dispatch but you were told it was mostly cleaning etc? I'm so undecided on whether to submit my completed application for Inverness on this basis. It's a great stepping stone into the railway but I would go braindead with months of cleaning awaiting another internal vacancy to pop up.
It is NOT mostly cleaning.

Charladenz

It is NOT mostly cleaning.
Glad to hear it. I feel like spending all day on this forum reading different posts and things looking for information on the Station Grade tasks etc has had me questioning whether it's for me on some and laughing at the same time like I could do it easily and I don't know why i'm nervous to apply. :lol:

Established Member
Glad to hear it. I feel like spending all day on this forum reading different posts and things looking for information on the Station Grade tasks etc has had me questioning whether it's for me on some and laughing at the same time like I could do it easily and I don't know why i'm nervous to apply. :lol:
Station Grade A is predominantly if not exclusively Train Dispatch/Customer Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.