• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difference between "Wimbledon" and "Wimbledon L.U.L."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flitwickbeds

I notice on RealTimeTrains that some South Western Railway trains, especially those in short-term planning because of disruption or engineering works, are listed as stopping at "Wimbledon L.U.L" (RTT code WDNLUL) rather than the normal "Wimbledon".

Are these two separate physical stations? If not, what is the difference between them?

E.g. this Sunday https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
That will be the Underground side platforms rather than the usual main line side. The trains start their journey northwards on the Underground route until Putney/Point Pleasant junction.

A Challenge

Established Member
If they are continuing South, they need to go through the main NR station due to the link being on the London side of the station.

nlogax

Established Member
That's interesting. I've not seen SWR / SWT services start from the Underground platforms before but presumably this has happened quite a bit over the years?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's interesting. I've not seen SWR / SWT services start from the Underground platforms before but presumably this has happened quite a bit over the years?
Yes it has. Certainly not that unusual. It also gets used as by ECS on occasions, I expect that happens at times of day when there are few people to notice it...

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just checking the online public version Sectional Appendix, P4 is the least restricted, some existing SWR classes such as 455/456, (for which they’d probably be more useful), are barred from P1-3.

flitwickbeds

Thanks.

I guess my real question is, if it's the same station just with different platforms (albeit some "marked" Underground and some "marked" national rail) but the SWR trains are able to stop at an Underground platform (and possibly vice-versa??), why bother calling it a separate station in railway terms?

A Challenge

Established Member
It isn't vice versa, due to the lack of fourth rail on the NR side of the station.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Yes it has. Certainly not that unusual. It also gets used as by ECS on occasions, I expect that happens at times of day when there are few people to notice it...
Only once in my time on the District have i seen a BR/SWT/SWR service operating from the Underground platforms, around 1983 when a service operated to/from East Putney.
It is very rare.

jawr256

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, sorry, lapse in attention from me there. Worth noting though it's happening again several times in December.
I found another thread reporting it (ie SWT Using P4) had happened in 2016, again just the first few trains on a Sunday morning, so I guess it allows just that little bit extra time for a possession somewhere.

In view of post #10, I wonder if it sometimes gets planned in but not actually used on the day?

Snow1964

Established Member
It is possible to run from Wimbledon depot into platforms 1-4 without using the 4 main running lines, hence why it is sometimes used during engineering works
Allows service to start a bit earlier.

It is also possible to leave depot at the London end (but not serve Earlsfield) or in London direction from alongside Wimbledon Park and serve Earlsfield

Muzer

Established Member
I'm told that these workings almost always just end up going into p5. It's only if p5 itself is under possession or something else is going on to prevent its use that they would actually use the LUL platforms, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.