• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

different cross-sections of wooden sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailAdept

Hello,

I’m trying to find English equivalents of wooden sleepers with different cross-sections employed in Poland. I did some research before posting here, but unfortunately to no avail.

Here are the two types of sleepers I’m dealing with:

upload_2020-3-5_18-3-36.png

The same picutre can also be found at: https://docplayer.pl/docs-images/43/19935032/images/page_1.jpg

Literally, they translate into English: ‘beam sleepers’ (the ones from the top row) and ‘oval sleepers’ (the ones from the bottom row). Any ideas as to whether there exist English equivalents or, if not, what possible terms could be used?

Input appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've never seen anything other than a rectangular cross-section for a wooden sleeper in Britain (or one that was originally rectangular but has rotted away...).

Dunfanaghy Rd

British railway sleepers were, at least in BR days, 10 inches wide and 5 inches deep (approx. 130 × 255 mm). Length was 8 feet 6 inches (2.59m). Pre-nationalisation (and even pre-grouping) there were differences, principally in length. Always rectangular in section.
Pointwork is carried on timbers of 6 inches × 12 inches section (150 × 300 mm). Length according to need, of course.
HTH
Pat

DelW

Established Member
In my days building road bridges in the 1970s and 80s, we used hundreds, possibly thousands, of old sleepers lifted from obsolete sidings, as foundations for bridge falseworks, and without exception they were rectangular with the dimensions stated by Pat above.

If asked to describe the cross sections, I'd call them "chamfered shoulder" and "rounded shoulder", but those are purely my own invention.

There are the two types here yes, I dont know what they are called nor if there is a different use for them. I do know they are not timbers used for S&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.