• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

_toommm_

Established Member
The Northern Sheffield depot sign:

- Sheffield to Lincoln.
- Sheffield to Doncaster (via Rotherham, via Masborough direct, and via Kilnhurst).
- Doncaster to Scunthorpe (via Thorne South) and Doncaster to Hull (via Thorne North).
- Sheffield to Huddersfield.
- Sheffield to Leeds (via Moorthorpe, via Barnsley and Wakefield direct, and via Barnsley with a reversal at Castleford).
- Sheffield to York via Pontefract Baghill (Link One and Two).
- Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Brigg (Link One).
- Sheffield to Nottingham via Dronfield and via Barrow Hill (Link One and Two)

The Transpennine Sheffield depot sign:

- Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly (via Hope Valley onto via Hazel Grove and Stockport and via New Mills Central).
- Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport.
- Sheffield to Manchester via Huddersfield (used on the first to Manchester and the last via Manchester, plus when Hope Valley is closed).
- Sheffield to Cleethorpes (plus diversions avoiding Meadowhall, via Rotherham, via Kilnhurst).

EDIT: Northern Sheffield traction is DEFINITELY 142*/144*/150/153/158/170/195. They may sign 155/156, although I'm not sure.
Transpennine Sheffield is only 185s, and they also sign Sheffield to Crofton Depot** and Doncaster to Crofton Depot***

* This is becoming obsolete at this point.
** The Sheffield to Wakefield Kirkgate section of this is also included in the Sheffield to Manchester via Huddersfield section.
*** This is as far as Fitzwilliam on the Leeds branch on the ECML, then as per '**'

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

Also for TL horsham only sign Horsham- Peterborough.
They sign both quarry and redhill lines.
Traction 700.

Brighton sign Brighton-Bedford
Brighton/preston park - littlehampton,
Brighton down yard, Preston park sidings and I believe they still sign lovers walk but not 100%.
Brighton - cambridge and lewes diversionary.
Also sign pouparts junction and clapham junction to do east Croydon to blackfriars thats way.

Three bridges also sign the down yard and Preston park sidings but not lovers walk.

387star

On Moderation
St Albans is 700 and St Albans and Luton to Sutton via Wimbledon and Mitcham
Cricklewood the same but add Orpington and I think sevenoaks

Ashford is currently a strange one as their work to Cambridge does not exist but believe they do Orpington and sevenoaks

Peterborough do the same as Horsham depot plus I think Cambridge . Horsham and Peterborough both sign kings cross as a diversion

Gillingham do Rainham to Luton plus Dartford via Lewisham diversion

Established Member
EMR St Pancras:
Traction: Class 43, 222, (360s when delivered)
Routes: London - Corby, Nottingham and Sheffield via Midland Mainline + Manton diversion.

EMR Kettering (not yet open):
222 (360s when delivered)
Routes: London to Corby, Nottingham and Derby (not Sheffield) via Midland Mainline + Manton diversion.

Last edited:

Established Member
SE Victoria

Traction: 465, 466, 375, 376, 377,
Routes: SE Metro Routes, + London - Faversham via the Chathams. London - Ashford via Maidstone Line.
Some SE divers sign the BML as far as Selhurst for ECS moves with 377s (this may have changed but certainly used to be the case

SE Ramsgate:

Traction: 375.
Routes: Ramsgate - London via Chatham mainline and Southeastern Mainline (+ diversion via Strood and North Kent Line). Ashford - London via Maidstone Line.

SE Charing Cross also sign 377s.

GATEX Victoria:

Traction: 387s, 377s (I believe the crews can interwork with Southern GTR BML services)

Routes: Victoria - Brighton via BML both Quarry lines and Redhill line (Redhill lines being a diversionary route)

TL St Albans:

Traction 700 RLU
Routes: St Albans - St Albans via MML, Thameslink Core, Holborn lines and Sutton Loop.

TL Orpington:

Traction: 700 RLU
Routes: Orpington - West Hampstead TL via Chatham mainline to Herne Hill, Holborn lines.
Sevenoaks - West Hampstead TL via Bat and Ball and Catford Loop
Sevenoakes - West Hampstead TL via SEML to Orpington, Chatham Mainline to Herne Hill, Holborn Lines.
(Also sign Cricklewood depot for ECS moves to and from West Hampstead TL)

Apologies for any errors in the above - should be broadly correct.

Last edited:

Bow Fell

Merseyrail

Birkenhead Central

Chester/New Brighton/West Kirby/Ellesmere Port

Kirkdale Depot/Birkenhead North Depot.

Kirkdale

Ormskirk/Kirkby/Hunts Cross/Southport & Kirkdale Depot/Southport Sidings

Southport

Southport-Hunts Cross (nearly 100% of the work) & Southport Sidings

Also;

Ormskirk/Kirkby & Kirkdale Depot (very small amount of work 1/2 jobs a day).

Filled in the blanks;

Very small amount of Birkenhead Central and Kirkdale “cross-cover” drivers that sign everywhere.

HLE

Established Member
Leamington (WMR) is Leamington - Great Malvern, Leamington - Nuneaton. 172 depot.

lammergeier

I'll finish off your XC post. I won't list diversions as they're too numerous and I don't know them for depots other than my own. Only correction to your original post is that Plymouth don't sign Kidderminster although that's a minor detail.

Birmingham - 170, 22x, HST
Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester all routes, Bournemouth, Bristol, Stansted Airport.

Derby - 22x, HST
Bristol - Newcastle all routes

Bristol - 170, 22x, HST
Plymouth - New St all routes, Paignton, Cardiff

Newcastle - 22x, HST
Edinburgh - Derby all routes

Efini92

Established Member
Northern Manchester Victoria drivers sign ;

Traction
142,144 (legacy) 150,153,155,156,158,195,319,331, 769 (If ASLEF approve them).

Routes
Manchester Victoria - Stalybridge
Stalybridge - Huddersfield
Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Elland
Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Bradford
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn via Todmorden
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn via Darwen
Blackburn - Clitheroe
Blackburn - Preston
Manchester Victoria - Preston via Chorley
Preston - Blackpool North
Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate/North Western via Bolton
Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate/North Western via Atherton
Wigan North Western - Preston
Wigan Wallgate - Kirkby
Wigan Wallgate - Southport
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime St
Manchester Victoria - Chester via Warrington Bank Quay
Salford Crescent - Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Piccadilly - Manchester Airport
Manchester Piccadilly - Chester via Altrincham
Manchester Piccadilly - Hazel Grove
Stockport - Stalybridge via Denton

Diversions
Ordsall Chord
Manchester Victoria - Salford Crescent via Deal St
Manchester Piccadilly - Newton Heath via Ashburys
Manchester Piccadilly - Newton Heath Via Guide Bridge
Lostock Hall Jn - Farrington Jn

8J

Couple of corrections

For WMT, it is mostly correct however, Northampton drivers don't sign 319s only Bletchley.

SWR Salisbury drivers also have a small link of drivers who sign 444/450.

TPE

Liverpool

Traction:
185 + 802

Routes:

Liverpool - York via Manchester Victoria, Huddersfield and Leeds

Manchester Victoria - Manchester Airport via the Orsdall Chord

Manchester Piccadilly - Stalybridge via Guide Bridge

Edge Hill - Castlefield Junction via Warrington Central currently as a diversion

Edge Hill depot

No Liverpool drivers sign diversions except the Cheshire Lines.

It should also be noted that all Liverpool conductors sign York - Newcastle Central and some still sign York - Scarborough

Manchester Piccadilly

There's 3 links at Piccadilly. The Hull Link, Scarborough link and West Coast link.

Hull link

Traction:

Routes:

Micklefield - Hull

Ardwick depot

Some diversions - can't remember which ones

Scarborough Link

Traction:
185 + Class 68/Mk5

Routes:

York - Scarborough

Edge Hill - Castlefield Junction via Warrington Central

Ardwick Depot

Longsight Depot

Again I'm pretty sure they sign the Calder Valley as a diversion and maybe some others but not 100% sure.

West Coast Link

Traction:
185 + 397

Routes:
Manchester Airport - Edinburgh Waverly via Preston

Longsight Depot

Preston

Traction:

Class 397 (I think 185s may have recently come off their cards and 350s have recently gone too)

Routes:

Preston - Manchester Airport via Chorley

Euxton Junction - Orsdall Lane Jn via Golborne Junction as a diversion

Wigan North Western - Liverpool Lime Street via St Helens Central + Via Golborne Jn/Newton Le Willows

Preston - Glasgow Central/Edinburgh Waverly

Again, I might have some of the above info about TPE slightly incorrect and would be happy to be corrected.

DunfordBridge

South Western Railway

Woking
Traction:
444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707 (701 in future)
Routes:
Waterloo to Alton
Waterloo to Ascot (via Hounslow & Richmond)
Waterloo to Basingstoke
Waterloo to Chessington South
Waterloo to Hampton Court
Waterloo to Guildford (via Cobham)
Waterloo to Guildford (via Epsom)
Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour (via Haslemere)
Waterloo to Shepperton/Twickenham (via Kingston)
Aldershot to Ascot
Aldershot to Guildford
Addlestone to New Haw ("Byfleet Curve")
Hounslow to Whitton ("Whitton Curve")
Woking East End siding
Woking Up Sidings
Clapham Yard
Farnham Sheds (London end)

Is it possible you have forgotten to mention the route from Virginia Water to Weybridge for the Woking depot? I just wondered with the mention of the Byfleet curve.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the helpful additions and corrections, this list is getting filled out an awful lot quicker then I expected it to! Is there any chance the admins might consider making this a sticky?

Exeter HSS
Exeter to Paddington via Westbury , Bristol TM and Bristol Parkway
Exeter to Penzance
Exeter to Exmouth
Newton Abbott to Paignton

Thanks. I'm assuming traction is 80x, 57, 150 and 158. Do they sign HSTs still or 16x?

Excellen Craig. Just one observation with TFW Chester. Do they sign Crewe to Shrewsbury

They do indeed, or at least 1 of the 3 links does. Typical Chester having their grubby fingers everywhere! I've added it in.

Leamington (WMR) is Leamington - Great Malvern, Leamington - Nuneaton. 172 depot.
Thanks. Do they sign Stratford as well?

Hugo3000

Northern Manchester Victoria drivers sign ;

Traction
142,144 (legacy) 150,153,155,156,158,195,319,331, 769 (If ASLEF approve them).

Routes
Manchester Victoria - Stalybridge
Stalybridge - Huddersfield
Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Elland
Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Bradford
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn via Todmorden
Manchester Victoria - Blackburn via Darwen
Blackburn - Clitheroe
Blackburn - Preston
Manchester Victoria - Preston via Chorley
Preston - Blackpool North
Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate/North Western via Bolton
Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate/North Western via Atherton
Wigan North Western - Preston
Wigan Wallgate - Kirkby
Wigan Wallgate - Southport
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime St
Manchester Victoria - Chester via Warrington Bank Quay
Salford Crescent - Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Piccadilly - Manchester Airport
Manchester Piccadilly - Chester via Altrincham
Manchester Piccadilly - Hazel Grove
Stockport - Stalybridge via Denton

Diversions
Ordsall Chord
Manchester Victoria - Salford Crescent via Deal St
Manchester Piccadilly - Newton Heath via Ashburys
Manchester Piccadilly - Newton Heath Via Guide Bridge
Lostock Hall Jn - Farrington Jn

99.99% sure Vic don't sign Blackburn to Preston or Farrington curve but happy to be corrected.

craigybagel

Established Member
Also, just to give an update - I've decided for clarity to include and exclude certain details. In terms of routes, I'm including diversions where known, (as it's difficult to distinguish between a diversion with no booked work and one with fewer service trains then the "mainline"), but in some cases I'm just briefly mentioning that they exist as in some cases the list would become too numerous. I've decided not to include depots or sidings to try and prevent the lists getting too long, and also to try and keep things consistent. I've also gone through the list again and added in details of routes/traction that I believe to be only applicable to certain links (in most cases marked with the phrase "link dependent"), based either on information supplied to me directly here or things I've picked up on across the years. I'll try to include them in future posts as much as possible.

_toommm_

Established Member
It might be worth mentioning that Northern have just been given a dispensation to use 142s either coupled to a PRM-modified unit, or on their own/with another 142 on the Stalybridge to Southport route (to cover unavailability of 769s.

craigybagel

Established Member
It might be worth mentioning that Northern have just been given a dispensation to use 142s either coupled to a PRM-modified unit, or on their own/with another 142 on the Stalybridge to Southport route (to cover unavailability of 769s.
Interesting - I'd mistakenly thought Northern had withdrawn all their Pacers by now! Is it just that route? I'll add them back to Victoria and include them in Wigan (if I ever get hold of full details of that depot) if so, assuming that those are the only depots working those services.

Scattle

Thameslink Gillingham depot, also sign Bedford and have jobs that go to Bedford.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It's more the diversionary route knowledge I am interested in finding out. I enjoy travelling on trains booked (or, if I'm really lucky, short notice) diversions, but sometimes there seem to be odd limitations.
For instance, on a Southbound XC diverted up the Erewash Valley we stood for several hours in the Toton area because Trowell South Jct. had failed in the 'to Nottingham' direction, and the driver did not have route knowledge on that section. XC do run to Nottingham so it's not an unexpected requirement Talking to a Birmingham XC driver I know he said that he had a similar delay at Trent East heading for Derby- only route available to Trent South and not an XC route - although he could see the signal and the junction (not saying he should have chanced it, just that it would be easy to learn).
Talking to an LM driver in the West Mids, he said that they didn't sign Soho N to Soho E, and only the bay platforms at Shrewsbury, and again this would suggest a predictable lack of flexibility.
Conversely, I've been told in Virgin days that drivers can be diverted via Northampton without route knowledge providing that they don't make a station call, and this seems to have a danger. For historic reasons, the Up middle road at Northampton has a sharp right hand bend hidden by the overbridge with a 20 limit on. AFAIK, this is not approach controlled and a green aspect could be shown. I worked on the station in the late '60s when there was still a route straight ahead, but, because this was a minor route if you were signalled to use it there were feathers, and if you were signalled sharp right, because this was the main route, a clear road was indicated. I can still remember clearly the day when a diverted up express approached at about 55mp, the driver probably misled by seeing a clear aspect and a line straight ahead; a last minute emergency brake application - perhaps my violent arm waving helped - meant that it stayed on the rails but it must have spilt some coffee in the buffet...

O L Leigh

Established Member
GA West Anglia depots (may be slightly out of date):

Bishops Stortford
317/379
Liverpool St - Cambridge North via Lea Valley and Southbury
Branches to Stansted Airport/Hertford East
Coppermill Jn - Stratford (all routes)
Liverpool St - Seven Kings for Ilford CS

Cambridge
317/379
Liverpool St - Kings Lynn via Lea Valley and Southbury

Liverpool St
317/379

Will be adding 720/755 at some point. Not sure who works the Cl745s through between Cambridge and Stansted, though. I thought it might have been Norwich crews but I suppose it could be with a Cambridge driver. @dk1 will be able to confirm.

For instance, on a Southbound XC diverted up the Erewash Valley we stood for several hours in the Toton area because Trowell South Jct. had failed in the 'to Nottingham' direction, and the driver did not have route knowledge on that section. XC do run to Nottingham so it's not an unexpected requirement Talking to a Birmingham XC driver I know he said that he had a similar delay at Trent East heading for Derby- only route available to Trent South and not an XC route - although he could see the signal and the junction (not saying he should have chanced it, just that it would be easy to learn).

There is an amount of inter-depot politics going on with things like this, although some of it is operational. In your first situation, the depots that sign Nottingham do not sign north of Derby and vice versa, and that's even before we consider the traction cards of each depot. The Erewash is itself a diversionary route, but obviously not for the Nottingham services. As regards the Trent triangle of junctions (and the Stoke Gifford triangle too, for that matter) New Street crews are only permitted to sign two sides of it in order to placate other depots who fear that if they were permitted to sign all three sides they would lose work, by order of the company council.

**EDIT**

For XC at New Street there are core routes and traction and only a few that are link dependent. All routes are core routes except Reading - Bournemouth and Leicester - Stansted Airport (plus one or two diversions). Core traction is Cl170 and 22X with the HSTs being link dependent.

TEW

Established Member
For South Western Railway:

Basingstoke also sign Fareham-Southampton Central via Netley in addition to the routes listed. And Basingstoke-Reading for the diesel link.

Guildford the Portsmouth Harbour route is not link dependant, all drivers sign in.

Northam also sign Portsmouth Harbour from both the Havant and Cosham directions.

Woking no longer sign Shepperton.

Strawberry Hill
444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707 (701)
Waterloo-Woking
Waterloo-Hampton Court
Waterloo-Chessington South
Waterloo-Guildford via Cobham
Waterloo-Shepperton via Richmond and Wimbledon, and the Kingston Loop
Waterloo-Reading via Richmond and Hounslow, and the Hounslow Loop
Staines-Windsor
Virginia Water-Weybridge
East Putney (Wandsworth Town-Wimbledon)

Staines
444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707 (701)
Waterloo-Woking
Waterloo-Hampton Court
Kingston Loop
Hounslow Loop
Waterloo-Reading via Richmond and Hounslow
Staines-Windsor
Virginia Water-Weybridge

Waterloo
444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707 (701) 158/9 in top link only.
Waterloo-Guildford via Woking
Waterloo-Guildford via Epsom
Waterloo-Hampton Court
Waterloo-Dorking
Waterloo-Windsor via Richmond and Hounslow, and the Hounslow Loop.
Staines-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
Then link dependant routes:
Virginia Water-Reading
Woking-Poole
Woking-Alton
Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Basingstoke-Salisbury

Wimbledon
444/450/455/456/458/707 (701)
Waterloo-Guildford via Woking
Waterloo-Guildford via Epsom
Waterloo-Hampton Court
Waterloo-Dorking
Waterloo-Reading via Richmond and Hounslow, and the Hounslow Loop
Staines-Windsor
Virginia Water-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
And link dependant routes:
Woking-Alton
Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour

SlimJim1694

I've also gone through the list again and added in details of routes/traction that I believe to be only applicable to certain links (in most cases marked with the phrase "link dependent")

In that case its worth noting that 375s and Tunbridge Wells/Ashford for Grove Park and 375s and Medway Valley are link dependent for Slade Green. Drivers will do years on DOO metro before tasting this work.

Orpington also still sign Bickley - Sevenoaks via Bat & Ball, there is no passenger work but a booked empty stock move goes that way.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Interesting - I'd mistakenly thought Northern had withdrawn all their Pacers by now! Is it just that route? I'll add them back to Victoria and include them in Wigan (if I ever get hold of full details of that depot) if so, assuming that those are the only depots working those services.

They had withdrawn them, but there’s been a recent dispensation to use them again. If I can find it I’ll attach the document...

EDIT (to add the aforementioned document):

Established Member
SE High Speed (treated as a separate entity from SE’s “classic” services - HS drivers only do HS).

Depots at Faversham, Ashford and Ramsgate.

Traction: 395s.
Routes: St Pancras to St Pancras via HS1 to Ebbsfleet, North Kent, Chatham Mainline, Ashford - Ramsgate Line - HS1.

Also sign Ashford - Folkestone - Dover Priory via the sea wall.

Also sign the Medway valley line as far as Maidstone West

Perhaps @notadriver could confirm the above.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thameslink Gillingham depot, also sign Bedford and have jobs that go to Bedford.

Thanks, will change.
GA West Anglia depots (may be slightly out of date):

Bishops Stortford
317/379

Cambridge
317/379
Liverpool St - Kings Lynn via Lea Valley and Southbury

Liverpool St
317/379

Will be adding 720/755 at some point. Not sure who works the Cl745s through between Cambridge and Stansted, though. I thought it might have been Norwich crews but I suppose it could be with a Cambridge driver. @dk1 will be able to confirm.

IIRC it's Cambridge who are working the 745s through to Stansted, but I too am hoping @dk1 will be along to clarify a few things about GA, I'm not 100% on the details I've put down for Norwich, Ipswich and Colchester.

For XC at New Street there are core routes and traction and only a few that are link dependent. All routes are core routes except Reading - Bournemouth and Leicester - Stansted Airport (plus one or two diversions). Core traction is Cl170 and 22X with the HSTs being link dependent.

Thanks, my New Street info is clearly a few years out of date.

For South Western Railway:

Basingstoke also sign Fareham-Southampton Central via Netley in addition to the routes listed. And Basingstoke-Reading for the diesel link.

Guildford the Portsmouth Harbour route is not link dependant, all drivers sign in.

Northam also sign Portsmouth Harbour from both the Havant and Cosham directions.
The Basingstoke - Reading omission is entirely my fault :oops: another poster correctly mentioned it and I thought it was a typo as I thought SWR hadnt gone to Reading from that direction in years. My apologies to you and to the poster who shared the info for that depot

I had thought that new starters at Guildford didn't go south of Haslemere, but again my info on that depot is years out of date!

When you say Northam sign Portsmouth from the Havant direction, do you mean they go all the way up through Haslemere and Guildford to Woking?

They had withdrawn them, but there’s been a recent dispensation to use them again. If I can find it I’ll attach the document...

EDIT (to add the aforementioned document):

Brilliant, thanks for that.

TEW

Established Member
When you say Northam sign Portsmouth from the Havant direction, do you mean they go all the way up through Haslemere and Guildford to Woking?
Yes, the route via Haslemere was already listed through to Southampton, but they also sign the route through to Portsmouth Harbour as well.

Chiltern

Aylesbury

Traction:
Routes:
London Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill
London - Aylesbury Vale via Amersham
Princes Risborough - Aylesbury
Bicester South Junction - Oxford
South Ruislip - West Ealing (link 1 only)

Banbury
Traction:
Routes:
London - Aylesbury via Amersham
Banbury - Oxford
Leamington Spa - Stratford

Birmingham Moor Street
Traction:
68/DVT,165,168,
Routes:
London Marylebone - Kidderminster
London - Aylesbury via Amersham
Leamington Spa - Stratford

Marylebone
Traction:
68/DVT,165,168,172
Routes:
London - Aylesbury Vale via Amersham

Stourbridge Junction
Traction:
68/DVT,165,168,
Routes:
London Marylebone - Kidderminster

Updated the above, Aylesbury don't sign 172's apart from a few shunt drivers, Aylesbury sign to Oxford from Bicester South Junction, Banbury and Moor Street only sign the met till Aylesbury, only Aylesbury and Marylebone drivers sign onwards to Aylesbury Vale Parkway