• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

Railfan132

Does anyone know whether the Driver's mess room at Brighton and Three Bridges is shared between Southern Drivers and Thameslink Drivers or do they have their own separate mess rooms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

Separate mess rooms.
TL have one on end of platform 1/2 and one down at the Siemens depot

Railfan132

I see I was always curious about Three bridges as I know some TL drivers head off to depot for their PNBs, because I know at Brighton they have got separate mess rooms I believe for TL and Southern

Class2ldn

Yeah, same applies above, before the mess room on platform 1/2 was built you could book on in the southern mess room if TL but now you can book on at the new one or at the Siemens depot , depends what the first bit of your job is.
If your taking one out the depot you may aswell book on at the depot but if your first train is taking someone else off then sometimes it works out better to book on at the station.
Also depends what happens at the end of the shift as to where you finish.
Not sure about GX but southern use their mess room on the platform so TL and southern dont tend to mix now for booking on or PNB

godfreycomplex

Established Member
A few gaps. Usual restrictions apply
TPE Scarborough
68/185
Scarborough - Manchester Victoria incl Calder Valley diversion
York - Redcar Central plus loop
Scarborough TMD
Northern York
150/153/155/156/158/170/195 (perhaps)
Manchester Victoria - Newcastle via Bradford and Elland
York - Leeds via Harrogate
York - Hull via ECML and Church Fenton
York - Scarborough
Northern Harrogate
150/153/155/170/195
Leeds - York via Harrogate
Northern Leeds (May be out of date)
150/153/155/158/170/195/331/333
Link 3
Leeds/Bradford FS/Ilkley/Skipton triangle (core)
Leeds - Manchester Victoria/Huddersfield via Bradford and Elland
Leeds - Knottingley
Knottingley - Mirfield/Wakefield Westgate
Neville Hill and Holbeck depots
Link 2D - add Leeds - York via Peckfield and Leeds - Nottingham (all ways)
Link 2C - add Leeds - York via Peckfield, Leeds - Sheffield (all ways) and Hall Royd - Blackpool
Link 2B - add Leeds - York via Peckfield/Harrogate and Leeds - Doncaster
Link 2A - add Leeds - York via Peckfield, Hall Royd - Blackpool and Knottingley - Goole
Link 1 - subtract Knottingley - Leeds/Mirfield, add Leeds York via Peckfield/Harrogate, Leeds - Nottingham (all ways between Leeds and Sheffield), Leeds - Doncaster, Hall Royd - Blackpool and Skipton - Carlisle
Northern Manchester Piccadilly
150/156/195/319/323/331
Non-link routes are
Oxford Road - Crewe via Stockport and Airport
Piccadilly - Sheffield via Guide Bridge/Bredbury/Hazel Grove (including Rose Hill)
Guide Bridge - Hadfield/Glossop
Cheadle Hulme - Stoke
Longsight, Ardwick and Newton Heath depots (and the CET roads at Crewe)
Now there used to be three links, in very broad terms one went to Preston, one went to Liverpool and one went to Chester. However Piccadilly have picked up more northbound work since I found that out. So it’ll just have to be “link dependent” I’m afraid. I believe that it may still be divided into at least two, the Liverpool link may have been subsumed into Preston but I’m not sure.
The link dependent routes are
Stockport - Chester
Kidsgrove - Crewe
Oxford Road - Windermere/Barrow via Bolton and Chat Moss
Oxford Road - Lime Street via Chat Moss and CLC
Hazel Grove - Buxton
Northern Blackburn
150/153/156/158
Blackburn - Manchester Victoria via Darwen and Todmorden
Blackpool South - Colne
Blackburn - Clitheroe
Preston - Ormskirk
Northern Hull

Last edited:

donpoku

Hi does anyone know if there is still a depot at Stratford for London Overground (ARL)?

baz962

Established Member
Oh okay, I didn't see a booking on point when I was there and it isn't in the Driver Depots list by GodfreyComplex either but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
That's very nice of you , seeing I'm an overground driver and was sitting with four Stratford driver's last night. The booking on point is next to the messroom. There is also a lateral list for transfers to all depots , with Stratford on , under the Euston heading.

mwest123

That's very nice of you , seeing I'm an overground driver and was sitting with four Stratford driver's last night. The booking on point is next to the messroom. There is also a lateral list for transfers to all depots , with Stratford on , under the Euston heading.
Ah, awesome :D

craigybagel

Established Member
A few gaps. Usual restrictions apply
TPE Scarborough
68/185
Scarborough - Manchester Victoria incl Calder Valley diversion
York - Redcar Central plus loop
Scarborough TMD
Northern York
150/153/155/156/158/170/195 (perhaps)
Manchester Victoria - Newcastle via Bradford and Elland
York - Leeds via Harrogate
York - Hull via ECML and Church Fenton
York - Scarborough
Northern Harrogate
150/153/155/170/195
Leeds - York via Harrogate
Northern Leeds (May be out of date)
150/153/155/158/170/195/331/333
Link 3
Leeds/Bradford FS/Ilkley/Skipton triangle (core)
Leeds - Manchester Victoria/Huddersfield via Bradford and Elland
Leeds - Knottingley
Knottingley - Mirfield/Wakefield Westgate
Neville Hill and Holbeck depots
Link 2D - add Leeds - York via Peckfield and Leeds - Nottingham (all ways)
Link 2C - add Leeds - York via Peckfield, Leeds - Sheffield (all ways) and Hall Royd - Blackpool
Link 2B - add Leeds - York via Peckfield/Harrogate and Leeds - Doncaster
Link 2A - add Leeds - York via Peckfield, Hall Royd - Blackpool and Knottingley - Goole
Link 1 - subtract Knottingley - Leeds/Mirfield, add Leeds York via Peckfield/Harrogate, Leeds - Nottingham (all ways between Leeds and Sheffield), Leeds - Doncaster, Hall Royd - Blackpool and Skipton - Carlisle
Northern Manchester Piccadilly
150/156/195/319/323/331
Non-link routes are
Oxford Road - Crewe via Stockport and Airport
Piccadilly - Sheffield via Guide Bridge/Bredbury/Hazel Grove (including Rose Hill)
Guide Bridge - Hadfield/Glossop
Cheadle Hulme - Stoke
Longsight, Ardwick and Newton Heath depots (and the CET roads at Crewe)
Now there used to be three links, in very broad terms one went to Preston, one went to Liverpool and one went to Chester. However Piccadilly have picked up more northbound work since I found that out. So it’ll just have to be “link dependent” I’m afraid. I believe that it may still be divided into at least two, the Liverpool link may have been subsumed into Preston but I’m not sure.
The link dependent routes are
Stockport - Chester
Kidsgrove - Crewe
Oxford Road - Windermere/Barrow via Bolton and Chat Moss
Oxford Road - Lime Street via Chat Moss and CLC
Hazel Grove - Buxton
Northern Blackburn
150/153/156/158
Blackburn - Manchester Victoria via Darwen and Todmorden
Blackpool South - Colne
Blackburn - Clitheroe
Preston - Ormskirk
Northern Hull

Thanks for that. Not been able to get to my computer lately but I'll update the list as soon as I can.

dalesrail

Wasn't aware Picc drivers signed the Chat Moss route to Lime Street. This was previously the preserve of Lime Street/Man Vic and Wigan. Also surprised to hear that they have picked up Barrow/Windermere work, although I was aware that one link signed Preston via Chorley. Pretty sure Picc Guards don't sign any of the aforementioned.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Wasn't aware Picc drivers signed the Chat Moss route to Lime Street. This was previously the preserve of Lime Street/Man Vic and Wigan. Also surprised to hear that they have picked up Barrow/Windermere work, although I was aware that one link signed Preston via Chorley. Pretty sure Picc Guards don't sign any of the aforementioned.
AIUI Picc crews learned Chat Moss when the 323s started going that way (I don’t believe Vic or Wigan sign them, or if they do it’s a fairly recent development) Barrow/Windermere work started with the 195s, shared with Barrow and possibly Wigan/Blackpool/Vic crew.

Efini92

Established Member
It was a certain company council rep empire building.

notadriver

Established Member

ARL are possibly the slowest passenger train company in terms of top speed ?

craigybagel

Established Member
ARL are possibly the slowest passenger train company in terms of top speed ?

Do they run ECS from Willesden to Euston via the WCML slow lines (and not the DC lines)? If so, they could do 75 there with a good run, whereas Merseyrail has nothing over 70mph (and even that is only one section AFAIK, it's nearly all 60mph max).

Of course there are depots where top speed the drivers based there can get to is lower - I suspect there are several at ARL where the drivers never get over 45mph, and the same is true of SWR drivers at Ryde.

Interesting question.

craigybagel

Established Member
Also, my apologies everybody for the lack of updates of late; I'm currently upgrading my home PC so it's a bit difficult to do so, but rest assured this project has not been forgotten about.

baz962

Established Member
Do they run ECS from Willesden to Euston via the WCML slow lines (and not the DC lines)? If so, they could do 75 there with a good run, whereas Merseyrail has nothing over 70mph (and even that is only one section AFAIK, it's nearly all 60mph max).

Of course there are depots where top speed the drivers based there can get to is lower - I suspect there are several at ARL where the drivers never get over 45mph, and the same is true of SWR drivers at Ryde.

Interesting question.
We do indeed run ECS on the wcml at 75. Some of the gob is 55 and the west London line 60.

notadriver

Established Member
We do indeed run ECS on the wcml at 75. Some of the gob is 55 and the west London line 60.

which part of the Gob is now 55 ? Whilst the West London line is 60 surely you never reach that because of the Voltage changeover point ?
I was once offered the chance to run ECS at 75. Very much a night run only and I was told I’d get a nosebleed

baz962

Established Member
which part of the Gob is now 55 ? Whilst the West London line is 60 surely you never reach that because of the Voltage changeover point ?
I was once offered the chance to run ECS at 75. Very much a night run only and I was told I’d get a nosebleed
After you leave gospel oak , just before you go under the bridge at the last signal before upper Holloway , it's 55 up till the bridge after . Easily hit 60 on the west London line. Pan down at North pole and you have changed over before you even hit the 60 board . You can easily hit 60 leaving Shepherd's bush , before slowing to pan up. As an aside , stock transfers and Clapham terminators that go back to c sidings will see you hitting 60 , just before Kensington Olympia and going straight through the middle road. I had the luxury of that last night.

ungreat

Thameslink Horsham:

Traction- Class 700s
Routes- Horsham to Peterborough
Horsham Field Sidings
Three Bridges Depot
Peterborough Spital Sidings
Hertford Loop diversion
East Croydon to London Blackfriars via Streatham and Peckham and via Streatham and Elephant and Castle
Quarry Line diversion
Horsham do not sign Peterborough Spital