• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Just noted this is “UK Rail Forums” yet we are missing an entire part of the UK here so here we go!

NIR have driver depots at Derry, Coleraine, Larne Harbour, Bangor, York Road, Adelaide and Portadown.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks everyone, will update as soon as I can get to my computer

Just noted this is “UK Rail Forums” yet we are missing an entire part of the UK here so here we go!

NIR have driver depots at Derry, Coleraine, Larne Harbour, Bangor, York Road, Adelaide and Portadown.

Funnily enough, I was talking to an NIR driver on Facebook only a few weeks ago. He explained the situation as thus:

Everyone signs the triangle of Larne - Bangor - Lisburn.
All depots except Derry & Coleraine add Lisburn - Portadown (the two Northwest depots seemingly used to go to Portadown as well but no longer have any booked work).
The Belfast depots, Derry and Coleraine add Belfast - Derry / Portrush.
The Belfast depots and Portadown add Portadown down to Dublin Connolly.

Everyone signs the CAF 3000 & 4000 DMUs, and the depots that go to Dublin also sign the Enterprise stock and 201 locos.

If you can confirm the above or amend as necessary I'll be happy to add them in?

(And before anyone points it out, readers may feel free to read "Derry" as "Londonderry" if it makes them feel better).

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Thanks everyone, will update as soon as I can get to my computer

Funnily enough, I was talking to an NIR driver on Facebook only a few weeks ago. He explained the situation as thus:

Everyone signs the triangle of Larne - Bangor - Lisburn.
All depots except Derry & Coleraine add Lisburn - Portadown (the two Northwest depots seemingly used to go to Portadown as well but no longer have any booked work).
The Belfast depots, Derry and Coleraine add Belfast - Derry / Portrush.
The Belfast depots and Portadown add Portadown down to Dublin Connolly.

Everyone signs the CAF 3000 & 4000 DMUs, and the depots that go to Dublin also sign the Enterprise stock and 201 locos.

If you can confirm the above or amend as necessary I'll be happy to add them in?

(And before anyone points it out, readers may feel free to read "Derry" as "Londonderry" if it makes them feel better).

spot on the only addition is York Road drivers also sign 111s

westcoaster

Established Member
R.e Barrow

They have a Blue link. (Ex Northern) and Green link (ex-TPE). They do share and cross-cover work on common routes.

Ex Northern-
Traction: 156, 158, 195

Routes: Barrow to Carlisle.
Barrow to Preston.
Lancaster-Morecambe-Heysham Port
Barrow CS
Workington CS

Ex TPE-

Traction: 156, 158, 195

Routes: Barrow to Manchester Airport
(Via Chorley and Chat Moss)
Lancaster-Morecambe (Not Heysham)
Lancaster-Oxenholme-Windermere
Preston-Blackpool North
Wigan NW-Bolton (via Westhoughton)
Barrow CS

*Ex Northern also signed 142/153 but this may have now lapsed.

*Ex TPE signed 153 but this may have now lapsed.

*Ex TPE also signed Leyland CS when it was open but this has probably now lapsed.

—————
Workington

Traction: 156

Lancaster-Carlisle via Cumbrian Coast.

Barrow CS
Workington CS

* Also signed 142/153 but this may have lapsed

* Around 3 instructors signed the following for stock moves during closures. This may have lapsed

Preston-Carlisle via Shap.
Upperby Bridge Jnc- Currock Junction via Bog Junction.
Does barrow now sign upto Windermere

King Lazy

Always did. Under North Western Trains/First North Western all Barrow drivers signed Windermere, Manchester and the Cumbrian Coast.

When TPE was created the depot was split. TPE drivers retained Windermere. These drivers are now the ones who sign Windermere with Northern.

bluesfromagun

5 by my count (Ayr, Corkerhill, Dumfries, Glasgow Central and Shields). I suspect though there are two factors here at play: it does have quite an intensive service for a diesel worked branch line, and also the rather strange situation in Glasgow where there are so many traincrew depots in close proximity, with some at traction depots as well as at the major stations - rather then just one massive depot at the cities main station to cover the work as happens in some other cities.

In another thread it was noted that around the UK there are very few driver depots co-located with traction depots - but around Glasgow I can think of at least 4 (Corkerhill, Shields and Yoker for ScotRail and Polmadie for Avanti).
Add Stranraer to the list - it may have changed but up till fairly recently Stranraer did a solitary East Kilbride run!
The Fife Circle also has five traincrew depots that sign it - Edinburgh, Perth, Tweedbank, Dundee, and Aberdeen all can and do work circles and Cowdenbeaths.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks everyone, finally had chance to update all of the above, including the addition of all 6 NIR depots in Northern Ireland.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
One I think could be added so far as Exeter HSS are concerned and for diverts which occur fairly frequently:-

Exeter SD to Castle Cary via Honiton and Yeovil

DorkingMain

I believe Feltham depot is due to be exactly the same as Staines minus Hampton Court, according to a friend who is moving there soon.

Sheridan

I note that Avanti have advertised for qualified drivers at Holyhead, so looks like they will indeed be adding drivers to the train crew there, as has been mooted in the past.

(Obviously it’s a bit early to be adding it to the thread, but will be interesting to see how it develops.)

craigybagel

Established Member
One I think could be added so far as Exeter HSS are concerned and for diverts which occur fairly frequently:-

Exeter SD to Castle Cary via Honiton and Yeovil
London Overground Chingford

Liverpool St - Seven Kings for Ilford CS
I believe Feltham depot is due to be exactly the same as Staines minus Hampton Court, according to a friend who is moving there soon.
Thanks, will add these in when I get chance.

I note that Avanti have advertised for qualified drivers at Holyhead, so looks like they will indeed be adding drivers to the train crew there, as has been mooted in the past.

(Obviously it’s a bit early to be adding it to the thread, but will be interesting to see how it develops.)
Indeed, the long rumoured depots at Holyhead and Crewe were confirmed when Avanti won the franchise a few years ago. The last I heard, they weren't expected to need to recruit for Crewe as there are plenty of traincrew internally who want to transfer to the new depot, but obviously that isn't likely to be the case with Holyhead.

OneLowban

Greater Anglia depots Bishops Stortford, Cambridge and Liverpool Street West now sign Class 745s.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Just for info, Cl150 has been removed for GWR Drivers at BTM going forward. Some way still have it on their cards but as link changes occur and booked work is formally lost, it will be removed for all at BTM

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just for info, Cl150 has been removed for GWR Drivers at BTM going forward. Some way still have it on their cards but as link changes occur and booked work is formally lost, it will be removed for all at BTM

Would that affect Westbury, Gloucester and Fratton also ?

craigybagel

Established Member
Greater Anglia depots Bishops Stortford, Cambridge and Liverpool Street West now sign Class 745s.

Can confirm fratton no longer sign 150s
Thanks all. Have just moved house so no computer access at present but will update when I can.

Which TPE depot sign York to Doncaster and the IEP depot please? Presumably York?

Sheffield I believe.
If that route is signed to move 802s, then surely it would be York rather than Sheffield who sign it since Sheffield don't sign 802s?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If that route is signed to move 802s, then surely it would be York rather than Sheffield who sign it since Sheffield don't sign 802s?
Yes, all the Doncaster IEP runs are crewed by York (802 link). Though there's just one a day at current! Sheffield do sign a variety of routes around Doncaster, but not to York or to the IEP depot, or 802s.

traingeek97

Does anybody know how GWR staffs Redhill? They seem to keep one unit in the sidings there (5O90 today). Surely the driver doesn’t get a taxi all the way to/from Reading?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Does anybody know how GWR staffs Redhill? They seem to keep one unit in the sidings there (5O90 today). Surely the driver doesn’t get a taxi all the way to/from Reading?

GWR has its own conductors at Redhill and uses Southern Redhill drivers.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks again for all the help with this thread. I've just done a load of caretaking today - mainly involving lots of removing of Pacers and other retired stock, and a few soon to be signed additions. Still got a few gaps to fill in though before we have the whole country covered so again, any help is gratefully received.

snookertam

Unless something has changed recently at ScotRail, Gourock drivers also sign Cathcart Circle, Neilston & Newton routes.

craigybagel

Established Member
Unless something has changed recently at ScotRail, Gourock drivers also sign Cathcart Circle, Neilston & Newton routes.
Thanks. I did think at the time it seemed odd for Gourock to have such a small route card, but I'm completely reliant on information supplied by others when it comes to the multitude of depots covering Strathclyde.

craigybagel

Established Member
Great job you're doing. It's quite a big task.
Thank you. I must say, it's gone a lot better than expected - lots of people came onboard and did a great job of filling it out!

As of today, we have just 7 depots left to complete every passenger depot in the country.

Eurotunnel: Cheriton (I know it's probably just Cheriton - Coqelles (and the depots and yards in those areas) and class 9 locomotives, but I'd like confirmation.

Southeastern: Faversham & Dover
Southern: Horsham & Three Bridges

As always, if anybody can confirm the details for the above depots, or fix/update any issues with the other depots that are already included, please let me know.