• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Fares in different directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

I'm taking a nice simple journey from Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe. I'm actually meeting a mate who is then taking me somewhere else for the weekend, then dropping me at Scunny on Sunday for me to get home.

I thought this would be a nice simple transaction, but I'm surprised.

Outward, CLE-SCU, there are single fares of £13.30 Off Peak Single, £14.00 Anytime Single and £15.10 in first class, whereas on the return journey, the same single fares are £13.50, £14.60 and £15.40.

I've never seen anything like this before? What's the rationale? Is it common that the fares should be different in different directions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
It's not hugely common, but it's certainly not unheard of, it's why we recommend checking season tickets in both directions when purchasing as some can be significantly cheaper.

Sometimes it's to encourage traffic in the emptier direction.

parkender102

On almost all Routes in and out of London I've used for Single Fares, it is always more expensive coming in to London in the morning and the other way round in the evening compared to leaving London in the morning and returning in the evening.

DeeGee

So away from Cleethorpes on a Summer Friday is cheaper. I can understand that. It seems to be the fare all day every day, though.

Clip

Established Member
So away from Cleethorpes on a Summer Friday is cheaper. I can understand that. It seems to be the fare all day every day, though.

The flow opposite must be more popular and thus having a little extra placed on top of it

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's not hugely common, but it's certainly not unheard of, it's why we recommend checking season tickets in both directions when purchasing as some can be significantly cheaper.

Sometimes it's to encourage traffic in the emptier direction.

Woking to Waterloo and vv - Anytime Day Returns are a good example.

Purchasing this ticket every day with a Disabled Railcard is cheaper than an season ticket over the course of a year. ;)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
York-Scarborough is another. The return fares are the same both ways however the single is cheaper than the sca-yrk direction

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In some cases, direction a season ticket is issued in can affect entitlement to Charter renewal discounts, but that's the exception rather than the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.