• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Guard Depot, Route and Traction cards

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Buxton certainly still has a depot for both drivers and guards. I'm not sure of routes and traction though.

Route and Traction knowledge has already been established and can be found on the pinned threads at the beginning

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anvil1984

Established Member
Route and Traction knowledge has already been established and can be found on the pinned threads at the beginning

Erm am I missing something as its missing on the Northern "spoiler". Goes Blackburn then Leeds

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I only mentioned depots that I couldn't spot previously listed in the thread.

vikingdriver

I would query the fact Salisbury guards sign via Winchester. Lots of candidates for diversion after the tree on the line at Overton on Monday could not run in passenger service due to lack of guards route knowledge.

also at Fratton all guards sign all routes, the only thing that is link dependant was 442 but everyone has expired on them.
Was it definitely guards route knowledge? Drivers will certainly have struggled to refresh that route during this pandemic. I'm not sure how route refreshing for guards has worked over the last year but I guess it's entirely reasonable to assume that it has caused problems as it has for drivers. Salisbury certainly sign via Winchester. Yeovil don't so perhaps some of these trains had a Yeovil crew?

pompeyfan

Established Member
It was guards knowledge that caused the issue on two services, and a driver and guard on the 3rd train. There is currently 5Y20 and 5Y21 route refresh during the day and 5Y23 in the evening.

saintsfan

I would query the fact Salisbury guards sign via Winchester. Lots of candidates for diversion after the tree on the line at Overton on Monday could not run in passenger service due to lack of guards route knowledge.

also at Fratton all guards sign all routes, the only thing that is link dependant was 442 but everyone has expired on them.

New Salisbury guards will certainly learn via Winchester. There certainly was a problem with route knowledge on that day, as no Guards were ever booked on the route refreshers that ran over the last 6 months, but that situation is now being remedied. Not an ideal situation that day but hopefully now less likely to occur in the future!

pompeyfan

Established Member
New Salisbury guards will certainly learn via Winchester. There certainly was a problem with route knowledge on that day, as no Guards were ever booked on the route refreshers that ran over the last 6 months, but that situation is now being remedied. Not an ideal situation that day but hopefully now less likely to occur in the future!
Ah I had thought it had fallen off the guards knowledge completely. I’m glad that steps are being taken to allow diversions via Winchester if required.

mwest123

Inspired by @craigybagel's excellent thread on the driver depots, routes, and traction cards, I thought I would create one for guards too. This thread will eventually cover all train operating companies, and will detail the routes you may sign (work) for each depot.

As with the driver thread, I'll be heavily reliant on contributions from other forum members, and will update the thread as soon as I see submissions. Whilst I'll try to keep the list as up to date as I can, the information may not immediately disseminate from the comments into this thread.

If you're reading this as an applicant, good luck :)

Train Operating Companies A - G:

Edinburgh Waverley:
Traction:221, 390

Carstairs to Edinburgh Waverley
Glasgow to Preston direct, plus various diversions around Glasgow

Glasgow Central:
Traction: 221,390

Glasgow to Preston direct, plus various diversions around Glasgow
Glasgow to Carlisle via Glasgow South Western Line
Carstairs to Edinburgh Waverley

Holyhead:
Traction: 221, possibly 390 (even though they’ve ceased to operate the NWC)

Holyhead to Crewe to London Euston, including via various diversions

Liverpool Lime Street:
Traction: 221, 390

Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston via Trent Valley or West Midlands, and various other diversions
Crewe to Chester to Wrexham General

London Euston:

London to Preston via both Trent Valley and West Midlands, and numerous diversions
Manchester to Crewe/Colwich Junction
Crewe to Chester
Crewe to Liverpool

Manchester Piccadilly:
Traction: 390

Manchester to London Euston via Crewe or Stoke, Trent Valley or West Midlands, and various other diversions

Preston:

Preston to Glasgow/Edinburgh Waverley plus various diversions around Glasgow
Preston to London Euston via Trent Valley or West Midlands plus various diversions
Preston to Blackpool North
Wigan to Manchester - Crewe
Chester to Crewe

Wolverhampton:

London to Preston via both Trent Valley and West Midlands, and numerous diversions
Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury

-

-

Boston:
Traction: 153, 156, 158, 170(Soon)

Nottingham - Skegness
Nottingham - Lincoln
Lincoln - Sleaford

Derby (Regional):
Traction: 153, 156, 158, 170, 222(limited numbers of guards sign)

Derby - Crewe
Nottingham - Matlock
Nottingham - Worksop (via Hucknall or Langley Mill)
Nottingham - Leicester
Nottingham - Liverpool Lime St (via Radford/Toton Alfreton/Derby, Dore/Beighton, Stockport/Romiley, Warrington C/Newton le Willows

Lincoln:
Traction: 153, 156, 158, 170(Soon)

Leicester to Lincoln via Nottingham
Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln
Lincoln to Cleethorpes via Market Rasen
Nottingham to Worksop
Nottingham to Skegness (may lapse)

Norwich:
Traction: 156, 158 (153 largely lapsed, 170 Soon)

Norwich to Nottingham via Melton Mowbray/Grantham
Nottingham to Leicester
Nottingham to Worksop

Nottingham (Regional):
Traction: 153, 156, 158, 170, HST (Limited)

Leicester to Lincoln
Nottingham to Matlock
Derby to Crewe
Nottingham to Worksop via Hucknall/Langley Mill
Norwich - Liverpool Lime St (via Grantham/Melton Mowbray, Radford/Toton, Alfreton/Derby, Dore/Beighton, Stockport/Romiley, Warrington C/Newton le Willows
Lincoln to Peterborough via Sleaford
Nottingham to Skegness

-

-

-

Clacton:
Traction:

Colchester to Clacton/Walton on the Naze
Marks Tey to Sudbury
Witham to Braintree
Colchester to Liverpool Street (GEML)

Colchester:
Traction:

Manningtree to Harwich Town
Marks Tey to Sudbury
Colchester to Clacton/Walton on the Naze
Manningtree to Liverpool Street (GEML)
Witham to Braintree
(Not sure if they sign all the way to Ipswich)

Ipswich:
Traction:

Ipswich to Felixstowe
Ipswich to Cambridge
Ipswich to Peterborough(Via Soham, not 100% if via Waterbeach to Ely)
Ipswich to Lowestoft Via Saxmundham
Lowestoft to Norwich
Manningtree to Harwich Town
Norwich to Liverpool Street (GEML)

Liverpool Street:
Traction:

Liverpool Street to Norwich (GEML)

Norwich:
Traction:

Norwich to Sheringham
Norwich to Cambridge
Norwich to Great Yarmouth via Acle/Reedham
Norwich to Lowestoft
Lowestoft to Ipswich via Saxmundham
Ipswich to Felixstowe
Norwich to Liverpool Street (GEML)

Wickford:
Traction:

Wickford to Southminster

Exeter (Conductors - GWR):
Traction: 150, 158, 165 166, 255 (Castle Class HST), 800/802.

Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway
Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
Exeter New Yard & Exmouth Junction
Exeter to Barnstaple
Exeter to Bristol Temple Meads via Weston-Super-Mare & Weston Avoider
Exeter to Exmouth
Exeter to Okehampton
Exeter to Paignton and Goodrington Sidings
Exeter to Penzance
Exeter to Plymouth
Also now Route Learning Exeter to Pinhoe

Only Links 1 & 2 Sign Bristol to Cardiff and Plymouth to Penzance
Only Link 3 Sign Okehampton
Exeter also has a few remaining Conductors that still sign Taunton to Westbury and Bristol to Westbury also Plymouth to Gunnislake

Exeter (Train Managers - HSS):
Traction: 57, 150, 158, 165 166, 255 (Castle Class HST), 800/802.

Exeter New Yard & Exmouth Junction
Exeter to Barnstaple
Exeter to Bristol Temple Meads & Bristol Parkway via Weston-Super-Mare & Weston Avoider
Exeter to Castle Cary via Exeter Central & Yeovil Junction & Pen Mill
Exeter to Exmouth
Exeter to London Paddington via the B&H Line
Exeter to London Paddington via Bristol Parkway & Hullavington
Exeter to London Paddington via Bristol Temple Meads & Box
Exeter to Paignton & Goodrington Sidings
Exeter to Plymouth & Penzance
Westbury to Bristol via Bath
Westbury to Swindon via Melksham

Some Train Managers still sign Okehamton,Cardiff Central, Gunnislake

Redhill:
Traction:

Gatwick Airport to Reading
Reading to Basingstoke

Reading (Conductors - GWR):
Traction:

Reading to Basingstoke
Maidenhead to Marlow

Reading (Train Managers - HSS):
Traction:

Reading to Basingstoke
Paddington to Hereford
Reading to Bedwyn
Reading to Bristol Temple Meads
Colchester Conductors sign all the way up to Stowmarket :)

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Woking:
Traction: 444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707. 701 in future.

Waterloo to Alton
Waterloo to Ascot (via Hounslow & Richmond)
Waterloo to Basingstoke
Waterloo to Chessington South
Waterloo to Hampton Court
Waterloo to Guildford (via Cobham)
Waterloo to Guildford (via Epsom)
Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour (via Haslemere)
Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw - Chertsey - Virginia Water
Aldershot to Ascot
Aldershot to Guildford
Addlestone to New Haw ("Byfleet Curve")
Hounslow to Whitton ("Whitton Curve")

SWR Woking Guards and Commercial Guards also sign New Malden to Twickenham (Kingston Loop).

_toommm_

Established Member
Cheers guys.
If anyone is wanting to add to this thread and doesn’t want to post publicly, feel free to PM me and I’ll guarantee your anonymity.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
We are definitely looking to bulk this out over the next few months. Feel free to post here, or message @_toommm_, myself or @Val3ntine if you want to do so privately!

Hi,

wondered if someone could Advise me on something.

Under Southern for Selhurst it sais a route which states East grinstead to Oxted but the full route is London Victoria to East Grinstead.

Has this been put in error possibly ? As surely a conductor is present for the whole route.

I am a newbie so sorry if I am wrong but If someone could let me know that would be great ;)

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi,

Under Southern for Selhurst it sais a route which states East grinstead to Oxted but the full route is London Victoria to East Grinstead.

Has this been put in error possibly ? As surely a conductor is present for the whole route.

I am a newbie so sorry if I am wrong but If someone could let me know that would be great ;)
It may be that Selhurst Depot don’t worry the full route, so it might be that another guard from a different depot takes over at East Grinstead.

Southern is one of the TOCs I know next to nothing about though as I’m in the North so I’m sure someone else will be able to advise or correct this.

It may be that Selhurst Depot don’t worry the full route, so it might be that another guard from a different depot takes over at East Grinstead.

Southern is one of the TOCs I know next to nothing about though as I’m in the North so I’m sure someone else will be able to advise or correct this.

Thanks for responding bud and trying to answer the question.

LowLevel

Established Member
Hi,

If I remember rightly Selhurst sign East Grinstead as guards in case the diesel 171s have to be diverted into there instead of Uckfield. Normally East Grinstead services are now DCO with an OBS following the changes.

craigybagel

Established Member
If I remember rightly Selhurst sign East Grinstead as guards in case the diesel 171s have to be diverted into there instead of Uckfield. Normally East Grinstead services are now DCO with an OBS following the changes.
Indeed, I believe that is the case. The 171s can't be worked DOO as it stands so in order for them to work to East Grinstead if required there must also be conductors qualified on the route. They wouldn't need to sign up to Victoria as the 171s are barred from there anyway.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi,

Victoria - Grinstead is a 377 DCO OBS route now in normal operation. Of course guards from Selhurst still sign East Grinstead for diversionary reasons if the Uckfield route is blocked and for a suitable terminus. The item for Selhurst already includes London Bridge - Uckfield, so its just an additional note.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Hi,

The list is correct but to a newbie may be confusing. It’s listed on how you would learn / sign off the route not how you work it. For example to get London Victoria to East Grinstead you combine the East Croydon to London Victoria (via Norbury), the East Croydon to Oxted part of the London Bridge to Uckfield and Oxted to East Grinstead and voila you get the full route. But then again there are difficulties with what guards work and what OBS’s do which I don’t know

_toommm_

Established Member
To reply to all…

Thanks for the extra info! I’ve added some extra info after the East Grinstead part to (hopefully) clear this up :)

To all above who have replied.

thank you ever so much for clearing that up for me and for giving so much detail.

And apologies again if being a neewb has put me in the situation of not being aware of the finer detail.

Thanks again all :)

mwest123

The list is correct but to a newbie may be confusing. It’s listed on how you would learn / sign off the route not how you work it. For example to get London Victoria to East Grinstead you combine the East Croydon to London Victoria (via Norbury), the East Croydon to Oxted part of the London Bridge to Uckfield and Oxted to East Grinstead and voila you get the full route. But then again there are difficulties with what guards work and what OBS’s do which I don’t know
On Board Supervisors don't officially 'sign' any route, as their job isn't as safety critical as a Conductor, therefore meaning they can be put anywhere on the network (eg. A Brighton OBS normally works Coastways but could be put on a Reigate service, if there is a shortage) . East Croydon depot generally works Victoria to Reigate, Littlehampton, East Grinstead, Bognor, Southampton, Portsmouth, Eastbourne and Ore, as well as stuff like Tonbridge shuttles from Redhill (among other routes, as the work varies as and when OBSs are needed per timetable change)

pompeyfan

Established Member
On Board Supervisors don't officially 'sign' any route, as their job isn't as safety critical as a Conductor, therefore meaning they can be put anywhere on the network (eg. A Brighton OBS normally works Coastways but could be put on a Reigate service, if there is a shortage) . East Croydon depot generally works Victoria to Reigate, Littlehampton, East Grinstead, Bognor, Southampton, Portsmouth, Eastbourne and Ore, as well as stuff like Tonbridge shuttles from Redhill (among other routes, as the work varies as and when OBSs are needed per timetable change)

I know it’s now an established method and this isn’t really the place but it still irks me lack of route knowledge, even from customer service or an emergency point of view. “Which coach do I need to be in for the station with a short platform… oh I don’t know” which station exit do I need for the city centre? Oh I don’t know it’s the first time I’ve every been here

MP393

Northern Buxton Guards

Traction: 150/156/319/331/769
Routes:
Buxton - Man Picc
Man Picc - Chester via Altrincham
Man Picc - Alderley Edge via Stockport
Man Picc - Manchester Airport
Man Picc - Blackpool North via Bolton (they do not sign via Golborne afaik)
Bolton - Wigan via Westhoughton

I may have missed a bit as I’m not based there but that is my understanding anyway.

_toommm_

Established Member
Northern Buxton Guards

Routes:
Buxton - Man Picc

I may have missed a bit as I’m not based there but that is my understanding anyway.

Looks good to me tbf from what I’ve heard.

scrapy

Established Member
Northern Buxton Guards

Routes:
Buxton - Man Picc

Defo don't sign via Golborne but pretty sure they also sign Wigan to Salford Crescent via Atherton and Wigan NW to Euxton jn as diversions (certainly used to). If they sign 331s will also sign 195s by default although may not have any booked work on them.