• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different prices at different windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Any guesses as to what might be happening here?
Railcard minimum fare? But if so, odd that that isn’t explained at the time of purchase

Tracey S on Twitter said:
@SouthernRailUK Could you please explain why Window 2 at East Croydon charges 10p more for tickets than the other windows at the same station? This has happened to me twice recently. A nice way of making a tidy little profit from the unsuspecting public, isn’t it! #southern

Hi Tracey, please can I check which ticket you're purchasing? ^Alex.M

Hi, I buy a day return to Haywards Heath. I have an Easit discount card so it should cost £13, but I was asked for £13.10, and when I complained, he said I’d have to go to another window to pay £13....It makes me wonder how many other people are unknowingly overcharged.

Link to original tweet https://twitter.com/tjsdp1/status/1116743729405210624?s=21

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

[.n]

East Croydon (ticket window staff) in general do have a problem with issuing boundary zone tickets vs from the last station inside the boundary, and combined with a discount that can make the difference quite small - I've had it several times myself

In addition window 1 (aka excess fares window) often has as member of staff who always wants to (incorrectly) charge me full fare / penalty fare / some other random made up thing, and we have argued about this several times in the past (its for the same journey every time)

daveshah

The fare in question seems to be £15.30 SDR - the only other possibility is the £15 CDR, but the gap is too big, and other than that surely they can't pull another base fare out of thin air. I understand the Easit discount is 15% so this would give a discounted fare of £13.005. Maybe one window is always rounding up to 10p, and another is rounding to closest 10p? I'm not sure what the correct method is for non-standard discounts.

RJ

Established Member
I'm of the understanding that where discounts are applied, the fare is normally rounded up to the nearest 5p.

Status
Not open for further replies.