• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different rovers being rejected in ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
But I don't think you're saying that it's acceptable for people like me who buy such a ticket being treated as potential criminals by railway staff, are you? Because this is what happens, although I have the fortitude to work past it. And it's not really acceptable, I don't think.
Lots of totally unacceptable, tortious and even unlawful things are standard practice in the customer facing part of the rail industry. Almost all have a blind eye turned to them for one reason or another.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
On the contrary to what's been described above I've never had a rover ticket rejected by a ticket barrier (aside from the 5 minute rule). Maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know.

plugwash

Established Member
Not sure if it counts as a "rover" per-se but when the ticket barriers first went in at stockport they wouldn't take countycards (this was later fixed).

1955LR

I have used the Heart of Wales circular pass in the last few years and that wont operate the barriers at Swansea . The conditions clearly state one can break the journey at any point but I have had no problem with the staff opening the gate when they look at the ticket.

David Goddard

Established Member
So for a day ticket this should then work at issuin station (which is normally printed on the ticket)
Can understand why Flexi Rovers (3in7 etc) are rejected, as they need the dates specifying manually on the counterpart portion.
Hence why East Midlands Rovers do not work in the gates at Derby two minutes after purchase.

route101

Established Member
Dont think ive ever had a rover work in a barrier nor had one of them barcode tickets work on the scanners.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
me who buy such a ticket being treated as potential criminals by railway staff, are you?

I've used lots of rovers through the years, including at Blackpool North. I've had plenty of blank looks but nobody has treated me like a criminal!

Crossover

Established Member
The one that took the biscuit for me, was having Haymarket barrier line "keep" a Central Scotland rover, which at the time was only a few hours old! It took a bit of time for the gateline staff to relocate it in the dump bin!

Why is that necessary? Surely the rejection should be two attempted uses in the same direction?

My guess would be the barriers don't (always?) differentiate in and out movements. I have had numerous occasions where I have left a station to use a local shop or such and got out OK but know full well I am not going to get back in again!

SteveM70

Established Member
My guess would be the barriers don't (always?) differentiate in and out movements. I have had numerous occasions where I have left a station to use a local shop or such and got out OK but know full well I am not going to get back in again!

If it’s really the case that a gate with ticket slots / readers on either side of the barrier can’t differentiate as to which is being used, that’s a truly dreadful piece of design

najaB

Veteran Member
If it’s really the case that a gate with ticket slots / readers on either side of the barrier can’t differentiate as to which is being used, that’s a truly dreadful piece of design
It's not that it can't be programmed to differentiate, but that's additional complexity to solve a non-problem in the typical use case.

RJ

Established Member
Still, I've never yet actually been unable to get past the barriers with the ticket. Even the Euston barrier staff were polite last September, despite the usual "I've not seen one of these before, what is it?"

That sounds about right and I suspect the time restrictions that caused a stir when they were introduced are long since forgotten about - never been challenged!

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's not that it can't be programmed to differentiate, but that's additional complexity to solve a non-problem in the typical use case.
Actually, at some stations it isn’t possible due to the limitations of the gate line logic software. If it was just complexity I would have found a way of doing it!

najaB

Veteran Member
Actually, at some stations it isn’t possible due to the limitations of the gate line logic software. If it was just complexity I would have found a way of doing it!
I meant in the underlying microcode, rather than the end-user's programming. If the TOC's demanded it, the vendors would provide it.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I meant in the underlying microcode, rather than the end-user's programming. If the TOC's demanded it, the vendors would provide it.
The limitation is more about the space on the magnetic strip. Financially, there is minimal value in changing the coding for such outdated technology. Therefore it will not happen.

najaB

Veteran Member
The limitation is more about the space on the magnetic strip. Financially, there is minimal value in changing the coding for such outdated technology. Therefore it will not happen.
Which goes back to the idea that it's not worth it for the typical use case.

Parallel

Established Member
When I last used a Devon ranger, it opened the barriers at Exeter St David’s, but not Plymouth or Exeter Central.

I’ve also used a Valleys ranger before, it opened the barriers at Cardiff Central and Queen Street.

Almost every other ranger/rover I’ve used has been rejected by barriers though. I do remember being surprised when my flexi rover opened a barrier before, but can’t remember what ticket it was or where it was now, unfortunately!

Kilopylae

When I last used a Devon ranger, it opened the barriers at Exeter St David’s, but not Plymouth or Exeter Central.

Exeter Central's barriers operate according to arcane rules understood by no mortal.

I've gone through the Plymouth, St David's and Newton Abbot barriers with no issues on a Devon Ranger.

Mathieu

My All Line Rover didn't work at Dalston Junction almost causing me to miss my connection because the staff at that station refused to believe there was such a ticket and when they found out it existed they were trying to tell me it doesn't work on London Underground (even though I was using the London Overground)

Status
Not open for further replies.