• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Difficulty obtaining large sized men's shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for retailers, online or physical, that stock a decent range of reasonably inexpensive formal shoes in larger than average sizes? Ideally I need size 48 but most places I can find only seem to go up to 46 or possibly 47 - if they do stock 48s it's only in the more expensive ranges, or there are only one or two options available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who actually uses European shoe sizes, so this is a first for me!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who actually uses European shoe sizes, so this is a first for me!
One European size seem to be roughly two thirds of a British size, and 46 is generally equivalent to 11 - so 47 is somewhere between 11½ and 12, and 48 is somewhere between 12 and 13.

Part of the issue in this country is that some shoes are manufactured according to EU sizes and then badged as British ones which leads to massive variances in fit even where they are nominally the same size - more so than you would expect from just differences within the same size.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One European size seem to be roughly two thirds of a British size, and 46 is generally equivalent to 11 - so 47 is somewhere between 11½ and 12, and 48 is somewhere between 12 and 13.

Part of the issue in this country is that some shoes are manufactured according to EU sizes and then badged as British ones which leads to massive variances in fit even where they are nominally the same size - more so than you would expect from just differences within the same size.
I don't have particularly big feet. I am a UK size 8, but I often find that there's too much extra room. A few years ago I bought a pair of boots that were 7 1/2 and they were great. A couple of years later I bought another pair made by the same manufacturer and I found that the 7 1/2 was too small!

[.n]

Have you looked at places like Jacamo / Bad Rhino I also find sometimes M&M Direct is good

Other than that my local footwear shop could order in larger sizes on request

High Dyke

Established Member
I'm slightly different, in that i take a half size. I used to buy Lomer shoes; comfortable and in the correct size, but supply of these is a bit hit and miss. Luckily I've found a suitable alternative in M&S.

Work boots are a different matter. I've had to go up to size 10 as they don't have half sizes.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for retailers, online or physical, that stock a decent range of reasonably inexpensive formal shoes in larger than average sizes? Ideally I need size 48 but most places I can find only seem to go up to 46 or possibly 47 - if they do stock 48s it's only in the more expensive ranges, or there are only one or two options available.
Might be because the UK size system is nominally based on 12 as the largest size, often causes issues with larger sizes being available.

Me neither, not everywhere even marks racks joijtiy in UK/European (Paris Point scale) sizes, some are UK size only but have a chart somewhere to refer to.

Trackman

Established Member
I take size 12. Shoe shops have very limited choice for me so I always shop online.
It's just a matter of having a mooch around online. I usually stick with a brand with like walking boots.
I've seen size 13's online.

dgl

Established Member
Work boots are a different matter. I've had to go up to size 10 as they don't have half sizes.
If you can buy your own then the relatively cheap Dunlop ones in sports direct do half sizes, no ceramic/non-metal toe cap option though.

High Dyke

Established Member
If you can buy your own then the relatively cheap Dunlop ones in sports direct do half sizes, no ceramic/non-metal toe cap option though.
Fair enough. Sadly we need to have the safety boots for the job. That, and management are paying silly money for the Steitz boots.

alxndr

Established Member
Fair enough. Sadly we need to have the safety boots for the job. That, and management are paying silly money for the Steitz boots.
Have you tried different widths? The Steitz boots we are issued have different widths available so if you normally need a half size to allow for width rather than length that might help.

That said, I accidentally got my boots a size up when I started and anything else feels wrong now, even though they're actually slightly too large.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I took size 11 shoes at the age of 12 or 13, and by the age of 14 needed at least half a size larger. I also had flat feet, and there was no question of having shoes specially made, so I squeezed my feet into shoes too small for me for years, probably with the result now that my feet are in deplorable condition, particularly my left foot, which was slightly larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.