• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I'm after a new digital camera, with movie/video functioning and sound recording, to allow me to capture short videos of trains when out and about. It should have 4 or more mega pixels, so I can blow them up/down, and get better quality photos than what I get now with my 3.2 mega pixel camera.

Here are a few I have found:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...869&fm=3&sm=undefined&tm=undefined&tabIndex=1

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1.Photography>C$cip=36810.Digital+cameras.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BXH9H8/ref=br_lf_ce_2/026-2081323-1778867

I don't really want to spend more than £75.00 - but I could be pushed to £80.00, depending!

Any opinions on those three, or any suggestions?

Cheers,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member

richa2002

Established Member
For anything decent you really should be looking for something a bit more expensive.

The Snap

Established Member
I know Richard, but that will empty my bank account! :p ;) I'll see if there are any others on Amazon, Dixons or Argos. Cheers for the advice! :)
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
dvn1357 said:

Yeah,it looks good. I'll have a look around, but that one looks good.

Sprog

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
For anything decent you really should be looking for something a bit more expensive.

...........AND NOT FROM DIXONS!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Try here dude:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/

These are the people i bought my camera from last year!

Excellent prices, excellent service and speedy/trouble free delivery.

110% genuine :)

Also, http://www.picstop.co.uk/ (for any accesories you might want)

Tom B

Established Member
Don't buy anything from Dixons or Argos, you can get it much cheaper from elsewhere.

ChrisM

If you are after a cheapie then Kodak are good and Argos or Amazon would be the best bet.
Jessops are good but more expensive.
Optical zoom is better then digital and will help and remember more pixels doesn't mean better photos.
This review site could help before you spend your cash.

The Snap

Established Member
I've found the Kodak C310 , and on the review site ChrisM suggested, it got 4.5 out of 5. It seems to be the same price in most places, at £79.99. Still, I'll shop round more...:D

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I bought my samsung.....digimax a502 5.0megapixels in jessops for about £70, pretty good thing.

The Snap

Established Member
I have found a Kodak C330. It seems to be a good peice of kit, with 3x optical and 5x digital zoom, MPEG4 audio video recording and 4mp. Only has a 16MB memory card, but I can buy a 512MB one for £9.60 (that is a ssuming it fits the camera.)

Question, are all memory cards universal and fit in all cameras, or do you have to buy a specific Kodak memory card for a specific Kodak camera??

Cheers,

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yep, its the same thing, SD/MMC cards are the same thing if my memory serves me correctly if that helps at all.

The Snap

Established Member
HSTfan!!! said:
yep, its the same thing, SD/MMC cards are the same thing if my memory serves me correctly if that helps at all.

Yep, very helpful - you just saved me about a tenner! :D 8-)

I will also be buying a Kodak rechargable battery, because I have a docking station from my current camera. rather than buy new batteries each time, I'll just charge it up. :)

The Snap

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
If your going to get that, you might as well get the 1gb card

Supose so yeah! Depends though - if I set the camera to best quality, all photos will be taken at 4mp, therefore they will take up more space. Videos will take up more, but I'd have thought 512MB was ample. :)

devon_metro

Established Member
Regarding videos, my camera at 30fps records an average minute video at around 30Mb, so i think the kodak is 20fps so will be around 15-20Mb . Dont wuote me though!

Tom B

Established Member
Rich said:
Yep, very helpful - you just saved me about a tenner! :D 8-)

I will also be buying a Kodak rechargable battery, because I have a docking station from my current camera. rather than buy new batteries each time, I'll just charge it up. :)

Saves you a fortune. OK it saves me even more because I don't pay the leccy bill, but getting rechargables and charging them up is much cheaper than buying fresh batteries every time!

The Snap

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Saves you a fortune. OK it saves me even more because I don't pay the leccy bill, but getting rechargables and charging them up is much cheaper than buying fresh batteries every time!

Yeah, I know. Would you suggest buying one digital camera rechargeable camera, or separate AA rechargeable?

The Gricer

dvn1357 said:
I would only go for the top one as i have never heard of Vivitar and opus. With Kodak being a trusted make.
Never heard of Vivitar? You must be new to the photography scene! They've been a around for years. I remember the first 'one touch' zoom lens I bought for my Olympus OM1 over 20 years ago was a Vivitar. It gave me years of good service. Personally I would rate them every bit as much a 'trusted name' as Kodak. Kodak might be a big name in film but I know those that have failed to be impressed with their digital cameras.

Frank

The Snap

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Never heard of Vivitar? You must be new to the photography scene! They've been a around for years. I remember the first 'one touch' zoom lens I bought for my Olympus OM1 over 20 years ago was a Vivitar. It gave me years of good service. Personally I would rate them every bit as much a 'trusted name' as Kodak. Kodak might be a big name in film but I know those that have failed to be impressed with their digital cameras.

Frank

Cheers Frank, but I think I've found the one for me - Kodak C330, sounds very good! :)

Cheers for all your advice and help guys...:)

Tom B

Established Member
You mean a camera with an integral battery which you charge up with a special lead, or rechargeable AA batteries? Definatley the latter - you can easily get extra sets and you don't need a special lead or connector to charge it up. Plus if you end up with no power and really need it, you can always (well, almost) grab some normal batteries from any outlet and use them instead.

Edit: as for memory cards you often find that for a few quid more you can get double the capacity.

The Snap

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
You mean a camera with an integral battery which you charge up with a special lead, or rechargeable AA batteries? Definatley the latter - you can easily get extra sets and you don't need a special lead or connector to charge it up. Plus if you end up with no power and really need it, you can always (well, almost) grab some normal batteries from any outlet and use them instead.

Edit: as for memory cards you often find that for a few quid more you can get double the capacity.

I'm after a set of rechargable AAs, as then I only need a recharger, not a docking station. :) The camera I intend to buy isn't compatible with the docking station I have, so I don't want to buy another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.